スーパーの裏でヤニ吸うふたり 🚬 - Week 6 (Beginner Book Club - Behind the Supermarket, Smoking with You)

Welcome to Week 6 of - スーパーの裏でヤニ吸うふたり・Behind the Supermarket, Smoking With You :smoking: Book Club!

Week 6 19th of August 2023
Start Page 97
End Page 122
Chapters 8 and 9
Pages 26
Previous week Week 5
Next week Week 7
Home Thread Here

Vocabulary

スーパーの裏でヤニ吸うふたり Volume 1 Vocabulary List (courtesy of @eagleflo)

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Everybody should feel free to post and ask questions–it’s what makes book clubs fun! But please do not post until you are familiar with Spoiler Courtesy!

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

If necessary, include an explanation of any discrepancies in the Ebook page numbers from physical page numbers. If there is an easy shortcut for some ebook versions to relate back to physical page numbers, it would be worth it to include it as a third bullet here, or if you want to use chapter page numbers instead of volume page numbers, as is the case with some manga. For example:
Example

For the Kindle version of this manga, the page numbers and the location number are always 3 apart. If you subtract 3 from the location, this will give you the accurate page number!

OR

Please use the chapter page numbers, instead of the volume page numbers. These are located in between the panels!

Proper Nouns

Feel free to add to this as new characters / places get introduced throughout the book.

Name Reading Notes
山田 やまだ Main character
田山 たやま Main character
佐々木 ささき Main character

Participation

Will you be reading along with us this week?

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m reading along, but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished
  • I’m still undecided if I will join
0 voters

If you’ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select “I have finished this part.”

Don’t forget to set this thread to Watching in order to stay up to date with the discussion!

11 Likes

Just finished this week’s content. I think chapter 8 is the hardest I’ve had in a while, since chapter 3 at least. Chapter 9 was more in line with chapters 5-7, though maybe I was just warmed up from chapter 8.

7 Likes

I chuckled at the new character’s romance detecting meter

A handful of questions I had this week, will jot them down when I’m at a pc

8 Likes

Okay, some questions and notes, I’ll divide them up a bit. As usual, my pages might be a little out, but hopefully this helps locate them.:

Questions

p102?

遊ばれとるわ この人
I couldn’t find a direct dictionary listing for 遊ばれとる, but my best guess is that she’s thinking Yamada is ‘playing with’ Sasaki. Not sure if it would be 取る or so…

p110, Omake 2

Is 店長’s name 後藤ごとう
I’ll have to decipher what Yamada says later, the handwriting is really crude lmao

p115

佐々木さんが売り場でこれ選んでるの浮かんできて
Not quite sure what Tayama is saying. My interepretation is maybe something like,
‘Sasaki-san / at the place where you bought this / this one jumped out at you so you selected it?’ … but not sure how I would phrase it elegantly.

p121

昨日つったのがまだ残ってる
Not sure which つった this is. Maybe 攣る, to cramp? (Presumably from the arm stretching)

p122

すみません少しむせただけなんです!!
Again not sure about むせた。噎せる maybe? (To be stifled by)? Sasaki just downplaying his stretch?

Notes

p97

エチケット = etiquette. 和製英語くそ!!!

p113

No questions but Tayama literally dragging Sasaki to the smoking area is cute!

7 Likes
p. 106

人のよさそうなおじんからかうのも大概にー
Can someone help me break down and translate this sentence?

p. 108

Can someone see what is written under the 店長メーター?

Chapter thoughts

Damn, ごとうさん understood the 山田ー田山 situation in one page, she is good!
Hilarious, when she asks him if he’s her sugar daddy :joy:

p.115

Not how I understood it. 浮かんできて is more “I was able to picture it”, 浮かぶ is used a lot for something coming to mind. So she tells him she can just picture him in the shop, choosing the gift.

5 Likes
p106

I’m just jisho-ing this, but 大概にする means ‘don’t get carried away’ or ‘don’t take it too far’. So I think she’s saying “You shouldn’t take your teasing of this nice-seeming old guy too far”.

p108

The first is ロマンスの予感 [Sense for Romance].
The second is 倫理観 [Morals/sense of duty/sense of ethics]

p115

Thanks, got to drill the ‘come to mind’ meaning of 浮かぶ into my head. My mind defaults to ‘float’ lol.

5 Likes
Pg. 102

I translated this as “this person is getting played”, in the “fooled / mocked / toyed with” sense. At this stage 店長 hasn’t had the 成程なるほど moment yet (page 107 & 108) and thinks 山田 is being cruel to this 人のよさそうなおじん.

Pg. 110

Yup! Kinda evil that we first encounter the proper name in handwritten form, but it’s confirmed later with proper typesetting. It’s a relatively common name though, as far as I can tell.

Pg. 115

I think @Akashelia is spot on here, she is laughing at the thought of 佐々木 choosing this cute gift in the shopping area. (佐々木 is a bit miffed afterwards as he thinks she is just laughing at him rather than with him; he wasn’t picking this gift only as a joke.)

(Read 9本目後日談 from page 135 if you dare to browse a little forward, it expands on this.)

Pg. 121 & Pg 122

You got it both times. He overstretched his arm and it’s still smarting. As an おっさん in training I can confirm that doing weird contortions like this are definitely risky…

5 Likes
Pg. 106

人のよさそうなおじん
からかう

大概にする

So in essence she is giving her a mouthful about how she shouldn’t be toying with the kindhearted-looking old fogey. She interrupts herself when she realizes 山田 is off to la-la-land and not listening anymore.

Whoops, looks like @Jintor already got this… oh well, I’ll just add a second voice to the choir.

5 Likes
んははは

んははha

んははは #8 & #9!

Best panels & commentary

Stone-cold liar.

え

Love the surprised expression when 後藤 / 店長 knew 佐々木 by name.

That tight clench. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

佐々木イメージ

Laughed way too much at this when I first read the chapter. According to 佐々木’s imagination 田山 has had a habit of dragging おじん behind the supermarket? :joy:

This must have been the first time I came across い゙っ. I previously had no idea vowels could get 濁点だくてん!

This is my mental image for the WaniKani vocab 反省. That 「あちゃちゃ」 in the end really seals the deal. :innocent:

6 Likes

It will probably become my ちょっぴり mental image I think, since I already have a 反省 one (though obviously, as with all words, it will add to it).

Last page for this set

That reminds me, what is the ウケながら in this case? 受け?

5 Likes
Last page

I think it’s ウケる, which is slang for finding something funny or humorous, combined with ながら – so while she was amused by it, she was also just a wee bit remorseful.

6 Likes
Page 101

Here, when the clerk said this: 実家の犬に似てたから覚えてたが・・・田山?

My best guess is that she’s thinking something like “I remember him because he acted like the family dog…but why is he saying Tayama?” Is that about right?

4 Likes
Pg. 101

To be a bit more exact I think she is saying that he resembles or brings the family dog to mind rather than acting like it. But yeah, she is puzzling about the name.

3 Likes
Page 103

She uses the causative-passive form of 貢ぐ, so she actually asks if 山田 makes him give her money/gifts, fitting with the 不良ぽい image she seems to have of (true) 山田, which makes this even funnier in my opinion :laughing:

6 Likes

I’m curious, what is the closest JLPT level to this book? i.e., if you can comfortably read this book without much trouble, which JLPT level should you be able to pass? Well, if it’s possible to answer that question I suppose, since I know there’s never a 1:1 correspondance.

3 Likes

I think BBC books/manga tend to mostly require you to be comfortable with at least N5 and N4 grammar to start reading them fairly quickly. You’ll still need to look up a lot of vocabulary, but the language tends to be conversational (rather than narrative or descriptive), so knowing how grammar gets abbreviated or used in more casual speech is a plus. But the most challenging language bits are almost always joke or wordplay related, which you aren’t going to find on the jlpt at all. :laughing:

For this book in particular, it’s rated at level 24 on natively which puts it in the middle of the “study material for roughly n3 zone” and yeah that’s probably about right

7 Likes

There was a really succinct panel from komi that I saved because I thought it was an excellent example of using 濁点 for emphasis like this. I’ve seen it come up a few times for crying, or super exasperated speech, or I think I saw it used for having a cold/stuffy nose one time. It’s a nice thing to know about :laughing:

(slowly catching back up to club don’t mind me replying to old posts :laughing: )

7 Likes

p112 (on bookwalker)

Screenshot 2023-08-24 113542

I am once again struggling with handwriting :sweat_smile:
Has anyone managed to decipher this omake?

5 Likes

「今日ずっと
くつ下左右別のやつ
穿いてて誰かに
言いたかったんだ…」って
あの人謎
カミングアウト
してきてマジで
おもろかった

ヨカッタナー
ヤマダナー

I believe