よつばと! Vol 7 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Page 66

だから昨日早く寝るって 言っただろうが
とーちゃんの言うこと 聞かなかった からだ

だから - so; therefore
昨日 - yesterday
早く - early
寝ろって - 寝る, to go to bed - 寝ろ = imperative form: “go to bed!”
言った - to say, plain past form
だろう - it seems
が - but
とーちゃん - dad
の - possessive particle
言うこと - thing said
聞かなかった - didn’t listen, didn’t hear
から - because
だ - copula

“Because yesterday you said [if] I go to bed early, but [now] [you] don’t listen to the things you said”

How’s that?

1 Like

Do you think so? I think she’s just made a mistake with the word. Her dad and Janbo are surprised by her saying やきにく and try to figure out what she means, and then she is not sure (in the second panel) what is going on either! But, on the other hand, I have no idea what else she could be saying!

It’s 寝てらんねー = 寝ていらない in rough language = I’mnotgonnagotobed! Idon’twanna!

You guess correctly. It’s ごっこ as you suspected. なにするんだ is “what shall we do” though.

It’s Dad speaking here. “This is why I told you to get to bed early last night. (This happened) because you didn’t listen to me.”

Think it’s more that she’s made a weird logical connection in her head that threw the adults off-kilter. They’ve just explained they’re going to a ranch to learn how cows are milked, and then Yotsuba comes out with “yakiniku!” - in the context of cows, that makes perfect sense, but in the context of dairy cows, there’s a logical gap. At least when you use adult logic.

3 Likes

Of course! I’m so dumb! Yotsuba doesn’t have all that kanji, or that font! Thanks so much for all that @Belthazar! Once again, you are brilliant! Thank you!

1 Like

Heh heh not really, I was just kidding around because of the うしのち moment. ^^ I agree with Belthazar, it’s just her making a connection between cows and a food she likes (in a way that happens to sound slightly disturbing, from an adult perspective xD)

2 Likes

Ever since that chapter of Yotsuba, I’ve been hearing a lot of “そのくらいにして” on anime. :joy:

1 Like

I was just checking, but next chapter seems good. :eyes:

I’ve been waiting on this one for a while. The way Yen Press translated part of this chapter is… confusing, so I’ve been wanting to see how it goes in the original version.

1 Like

You either have a good memory, or you read it recently. :joy:

Page 69

…こんどなんか いみない きょう いく

…こんど - 今度, this time, next time
なんか - things like …; or something like that …
いみない - 意味ない, meaningless; pointless
きょう - 今日, today
いく - 行く, to go

“This time, with things like this, it is pointless going today.”

Am I right?

Page 70 - panel 1

まあ一日寝てりゃ 熱下がるだろ

まあ - well
一日 - one day
寝て - lie in bed / sleep, て-form
りゃ - ???
熱 - fever
下がる - to fall
だろ - I wonder

“Well, I wonder [if] [your] fever will drop [after] a day in bed”

Can anyone help with the りゃ? It is an abbreviated form of “must” or “have to”?

Page 70 - panel 5

よし - right, okay
ちょっと - briefly
布団に - futon + に particle
つかまって - 捕まる, to grasp, て-form
ろ - ???
よ - sentence ending particle

“Okay, I’m quickly going to grab the futon, yeah”

Can anyone help with the ろ?

Page 72

ホレよつば冷えピタかっとけ

ホレ Yotsuba cold ピタかっとけ

Any help here much appreciated!

Thank you again everyone for your patience and kindness!

1 Like

No, sorry. That’s Yotsuba sulking. “There’s no point (in going another day). Wanna go today.”

It’s an abbreviation of “if”. りゃ = れば

ろ = いろ = いる imperative form

冷えピタ is a cooling gel sheet. They don’t really seem to be a thing in any English-speaking countries, so I can’t really find any info about them in English aside from places selling them like Amazon or Alibaba. Though I did, in fact, manage to find an image of the exact box he’s holding:

Not entirely sure what the name means, but I feel like ピタ is onomatopoeic of some description.

The verb is はっとけ = はっておけ - はる = stick, affix + おく imperative form. Think there’s an invisible comma after よつば, so it’s “Here, Yotsuba, I’ll stick this cold compress on you”

4 Likes

Grrrrr! I could kick myself! I get so wrapped up in the text, I forget to see who is speaking (and yet, even as I was reading it, I wondered why the dad was not using kanji for this!). Note to self: double, triple check who is speaking before trying to figure out what they are saying!

Thank you @Belthazar!

And yes, the chemist’s in Japan are stuffed full of the the most bewildering array of - mostly pointless, in my opinion - items! Thanks so much, yet again, for such an amazing reply!

2 Likes

Not all of them. I discovered the wonders of pocket warmers when someone gave me one 3000 metres up Mount Fuji when I went in 2010. And it just now ocurred to me I never once thought to buy any when I visited in December 2017. Though, I’m not sure I ever felt particularly cold, aside from one brief period one night in Yamagata when I had to walk the hundred metres from the cinema back to my hotel.

1 Like

Ah, I had no idea you can’t get them elsewhere! (I’ve been away from home, the UK, since the mid-90s, so, to be honest, I have no idea what is unique to Japan and what is just plain new!)

1 Like

Is it? :thinking: I thought りゃ was れは, I guess it counts because of the dakuten?
Never mind, I remembered.

2 Likes

Page 75

使わなくなったし

Okay, the air-con is not operating in the picture, so I guess he’s saying “recently we haven’t had to use the エアコン”, but that grammar! Here’s what I’ve got…

使う - to use
使わない - plain negative form
使わなく - the い has been dropped and く added to make a conjunctive form from the negative
使わなくなった - the plain past of 成る, to become, has been added…. Lit: “became not to use”
使わなくなったし - finally, the し, which I think means “so…”

エアコンも最近 使わなくなったし - “so recently we haven’t even had to use the air-con”

Page 76

俺もいつまでも パンツ一丁では いられない… って事か…

俺 - I
も - also / even
いつ - when, how soon
まで - until
も - also / even
パンツ一丁 - (wearing only) a pair of underpants
で - with
は - subject particle???
いられない… - potential negative form of ‘to be’
って事か… - no idea at all!

“I don’t know how much longer I can keep wearing just my boxers”

I think I’ve got the meaning, but don’t understand any of the grammar!

Page 78

おにぎりか… じゃあそうするか
Onigiri right? Well, yes, we’ll do that, yes?

でもうめぼしはいれちゃだめだ

でも - but
うめぼし - pickled plum
は - topic marker
いれちゃだめ - 入れちゃだめ, must put in
だ - copula

But, it has to be pickled plum [onigiri]

Phew, no question here, worked it out as I typed it out (as I often do), but decided to post anyway!

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary? :thinking:
俺もいつまでも パンツ一丁では いられない…って事か
“Even I’ve only been needing one pair of shorts for a long time, huh?”
“I don’t know for how long I’ll only need one pair of boxers, (is the situation I find myself in,) huh?”

I’m surely wrong with the exact translation, but you sort of get it. :sweat_smile:

This is a little wordy :joy:
おにぎりか… じゃあそうするか
“Onigiri, huh? Then, shall we do that?”

入れてはダメ, putting (something) in is not allowed

“But no umeboshi!”

Then her dad says, “えー、おにぎりといえば、梅干しだろー”
“Eeeeh, if we’re talking about onigiri, it’s umeboshi, right?”

Then よつば explains why she doesn’t like it.

1 Like

Page 78

I see! I thought she was saying she wanted umeboshi and that she liked it because of the face people make when they eat it! In fact, she’s saying the opposite! So the 入れちゃだめ means “must NOT put in”! Thank you so much @Kazzeon! Nice one!

And what a great chapter! Thank you everyone!

1 Like

I see いつまでも as one phrase; always/forever.
I forget it is even made up of other parts =P

But same difference, the translation is still the same =)

2 Likes

New chapter starts today, right?

I just want to share a little fun fact from the Yen press (I totally missed it! )

Page 93 image

Not really a spoiler, neither for story nor translation, but added under drop down anyway just to be safe =^_^=
Just a fun fact. I didn’t notice on my first read through =)

4 Likes