よつばと! Vol 7 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

おこう is おく in volitional form. Be sure to check out the ておく grammar point. It shows up a bunch!
Also, it’s funny here because it’s おく + ておく.

Another week flew by!
Time for the next よつば chapter. :smile:

Discussion of Chapter 44 starts here.

Remember you can always ask questions about previous chapters.
Last week’s chapter was a bit on the short side, so let’s see how this one works out :grin:

2 Likes

Yotsumoji

3 Likes

Poor Yotsuba. Still, this chapter is gonna make for a wealth of reaction images.

I was amused by that carrot-and-stick-and-back-to-carrot approach. “If you’re good and you get better, we’ll go later” didn’t work. “If you’re not good and you don’t get better, we’ll go to the doctor” sorta works. “If you’re good, you can sleep in the living room” was super effective!

I’m also intrigued by how often kanji I’ve just learnt keep coming up in manga. It’s happened with the last three Aria chapters in a row, and for this chapter, I just learnt 牧 in my last set of lessons. I haven’t learnt 牧場, mind, but I can work out the meaning easily enough.

Where’d the milk bottle disappear to on page 57?

3 Likes

And many of us learning from said questions and replies! <3
The club would be so empty without it! D=

4 Likes

I was wondering the same thing :rofl:
It just magically disappeared, without spilling… I think they forgot about it, it should have been on the table. And a missed opportunity, could have made a funny scene if they had to try catch it

Poor Yotsuba indeed. I guess the sheep rebellion will have to wait another day.
I love the panels on pg 71 with her dad dragging her across the floor on the futon. My dad used to do that kind of thing (only with blankets) when me and my sister were kids. ^^
OMG I laughed way too hard at pg 57 though xD うしのち! D:< And then she wants to roast them on pg 61. So violent xD

4 Likes

Page 53

Another week, another chapter of Yotsuba! Great stuff! And thank you everyone for your kind support as always! Much appreciated! Okay, here goes…!

おかわりもあるからな!
もってくるな!

お - honorific prefix
かわり - 代わり, refill, second helpings
も - also, too
ある - there is
から - because
な - sentence ending particle
もってくる - 持ってくる, to fetch
な - sentence ending particle

“There’s more, yeah! I’ll go get it yeah!”

Page 54

ほんとか? どれより うまい?
いくらよりか うまい?

“Really? Which is more tasty? How many is more tasty?”

I always get confused with より so might have this wrong. And I guess Yotsuba has made a mistake with いくら given Janbo’s reaction.

Page 55

まあ最近水でも200円とかするからいいか

まあ - well
最近 - recently
水で - water + で
も - even
200円とか - 200 yen or something like that
する - to cost
から - from??
いい - good???
か - question particle

Reacting to the high price of the milk, Janbo says:

“Well, these days, even water costs more than 200 yen, right?”

What I don’t understand is that からいいか at the end. The last part could be 以下 I guess, but I don’t see how it would all fit together.

Page 56

ぎゅうにゅうもつくりたてがおいしい!

ぎゅうにゅう - 牛乳, cow’s milk
も - also / even
つくりたて - 作る, to make, but I can’t make head or tail of the rest…
が - が particle
おいしい! - tasty!

I looked up a conjugation table for 作る on renshu, and the closest I can come to 作りたて is that it is the form to want, 作りたい, with the い dropped, and a connective て. Just how far off am I?

Thank you for any help anyone can offer!

2 Likes

いくら.

It’s something like “hey, even water costs more than 200 yen, so I guess that’s fine”

It’s 立て as a suffix.

Continuative form of ~たい is ~たくて :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

イクラ!
いくら!
Of course! Now you say it, it seems so obvious! (But only now that you say it!)

Thank you so much @Belthazar, and especially for the 立て! Never seen that before! Nice one! Thank you!

2 Likes

以下 is いか :slight_smile: In case you confused the reading.

Page 60:
ぼくじょうって、うしがいて…うしがいるところ!?
そうだ、牛がいて牛がいるところだ。
Is this just repeating, “there are cows… a place where there are cows!?” or am I missing something?
Since her dad repeats it.

Aah, poor Yotsuba. ;-;
I feel like it has happened to me, so I feel her pain. :sob:
Once I fell from the couch while watching some TV anime, hit my head, and cried because I didn’t want to go to the hospital until it ended, I think it worked.

This was such a nice chapter! :smile:
梅干しうめー :drooling_face:

4 Likes

Yeah, I found it a little odd that dad repeats it. Yen Press translates it as follows:

Yotsuba: A ranch, where cows are!? We’re going to cows’ place!?
Dad: Yep, it’s the cows’ place where cows are.

4 Likes

Page 57

コーヒー きゅうにゅうは くるいうし
[does] coffee [coloured] milk [come from a] black cow?

あー 普通の牛乳が白い牛でか
Ah, [does] usual milk [come from a] white cow?

じゃあ いちご牛乳は? 赤い牛はいないぞ?
Well then, and strawberry milk? _______ red cow?

あれは ち! うしのち!
That is blood! Cow’s blood!

それは 怖いな
That is scary, right.

I think I’ve got it! But can anyone help with いない please?!

1 Like

Coffee flavoured. :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s no such thing as a red cow, is there?

2 Likes

Brilliant! How did you know it was flavoured? Just context or is there something in the sentence? And the いない is just います in plain negative! Right! Got it! Thank you so much!

You mean, aside from flavoured milk being a thing that exists in the real world? :stuck_out_tongue:

That and the standard joke of “doesn’t chocolate milk come from brown cows?”

Yep.

2 Likes

Yes, I don’t know what I’m losing faster in my old age… my minuscule Japanese, my English, or my common sense! Cheers again!

3 Likes

I learned from watching a Japanese drama that いない is used in many children’s shows to say someone is dead O_o
It’s a much friendlier way, since you just say they “don’t exist (anymore)” rather than “they got killed” XD

They used it in a fun way by making a child say it when asked if his grandpa was in a certain place, he just answered “いない”, so they though he wasn’t there. Later they found he was there… just dead… but they assumed he got killed after that point because of the statement. When they figured out the mistake they explained the fact, how they use it that way in kids anime =P

I haven’t noticed it in any animes I watch, since I watch teen and adult, but still found it an interesting thing to do!

I remember playing Final Fantasy with my little step brother, and he was horrified that we KILLED the monsters. We convinced him they just “gave up” and when we met the same kind of monster we said “See? They are back for more!” :wink:

2 Likes

Yep. There is is:

bokujou

5 Likes

Page 61

Frame 3:
寝てらん

My gut tells me that 寝てらん is an abbreviated form of 寝ているのです. But then I think I remember someone saying that you need a な before の. So should it be 寝ているなのです? And am I right in thinking that if you dropped the の it would be 寝ています? (I do apologise, the more I study, the more confused I get!)

Frame 6:
なにするんだ ぼくじょうごっこ ジャンボうしな!

I guess this is Yotsuba speaking…

なにするんだ? - what are you doing
ぼくじょうごっこ - Dairy farm __ (Is that ごっこ or something else?)
ジャンボうしな!- Janbo is a cow, yeah!

1 Like