ゆるキャン△ | Week 5 Discussion 🏕

For starters, 日 is just “day”.

The phrase 野クルでキャンプやる is modifying 日 - in English, we’d translate that as a subordinate clause. “The day that we go camping with the Outclub”

て言っても is something like “well, I say that, but…”

You’ve basically got it for the other two lines.

“Well, I say that, but the day that we go camping with the Outclub is still a long ways off. Because we don’t have any equipment.”

12 Likes

Page 96

Nadeshiko says はいはいたーんとおあがり

• はいはい crawling
  • たんと a great amount
  • あがり return, profit

It sounds almost like she’s quoting some sort of proverb - “Working steadily brings a great return”. Rin comments about being a rural old lady - so maybe the sort of proverb an old person would say?

Page 102

春夏
Is this a kanji combination meaning “spring and summer”? If it is it’s not in Jisho.

The sentence is まあ 霧がよく出るのは春夏だけどね - something like “Well, the coming out of the fog is in spring and summer however”

Page 104

今夜のラストナンバーいかがでしたでしょうか

It took me a while to click this was the radio presenter talking. I think he’s saying, “tonight’s last number, how was it for you?” - referring to the last track he played.

4 Likes

Yes - you can do a similar thing with days of the week. So your bins might be collected 月水金, for example (although that’s a more extreme squishing).

4 Likes

This is just はい twice.

This is 召し上がってください in some kind of rural old-lady dialect, but I’m having trouble pinpointing precisely which.

Yeah. Reading in the anime is just はるなつ

But it’s got that distictive radio voice border on the speech bubbles. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Yep, I completely missed that! Thanks for the answers both of you.

The anime is obviously a useful source for clarifying the readings of some of these words. I’d been trying to guess the reading for 春夏 with different onyomi combinations without success.

4 Likes

たーんと might be ちゃんと? (But could equally be the translation you suggested).

2 Likes

Well, in the yojijukugo 春夏秋冬, the reading for the first two characters is しゅんか. But yeah, in this case it’s kun’yomi.

5 Likes

As for the thing on page 96, this link says,

こういう場合の「おあがり」は、英語に訳せば「take」。

「たんと おあがり」 は 「 Take it enough , please .」
「お風呂、おあがんなさい」=「 Take a bath , please . 」などとも使う。

This appears to be 関西弁. :slight_smile: With たんとおあがり being said to someone you’re giving food to/who’s about to start eating.

9 Likes

Well, that explains why my gut is telling me it means 食べてください even though it’s not in the dictionary.

2 Likes

So for those of you who have done several book clubs (this is my first), how often do you or others continue the series after the first volume? I’m thinking that I want to do so with this series, though I will miss the community energy and vocabulary spread sheet.

1 Like

If you look at the Master List of Book Clubs, in the Beginner Book Club section there is an overview of the offshoot book clubs (i.e. those that continue a series). Usually there are still threads and stuff if a large-ish number of people agrees to continue reading.

5 Likes

Ah, I did not read closely enough and missed the point of the offshoots. Thank you!

1 Like

! we have more people reading along this week than last :grin:

7 Likes

逞しい!
that joke never gets old…

4 Likes

Just a note that I came across this again in Zenitendou. The sentence was similarly about wearing a doctor’s coat over normal clothes, and was phrased:

白衣を服の上から着た

So that just seems to be the way to say that you wear something over something else :+1: it’s more obvious with the 服.

11 Likes

Since I finally remembered the existence of ninjal, I did a colocation search and this seems to be a reasonably common usage, but I get the impression it’s more like “to put on” than wear, in the sense that it’s not a stative verb.

It follows that 下 doesn’t seem to be used - putting something on under your clothes doesn’t make sense. The really interesting bit is that 下 doesn’t seem to colocate with 着る at all*, so I’m not sure how to say that you’re wearing something under something else…

*I don’t have much experience with ninjal, so it’s possible I’m doing the search wrong.

P.S. kicking myself for forgetting the pattern with 下着 and 上着

3 Likes

Whoops, a bit late to the party!

Page 92

I imagine と is the conditional? “If it’s caravanning, spending the night in your car is well enough”. How to explain the usage of いる as opposed to だ?

What is 来りゅって? A contraction, I assume, but of what?

Page 97

I found a post in support of this theory, with an explanation of how it came about.

Page 101

What does って add to the meaning of this sentence? I am sort of expecting it to be an exclamation of surprise, but I can’t really find a source for that.

2 Likes

What she’s saying is more like that it’s common to sleep in the car when you go “caravanning” (don’t know if this is the right English word.) However I don’t understand why いる is used over ある for 車中泊.

くるって

I think the る→りゅ happens because she is about to sneeze.

5 Likes

結構いる means “there are a lot of people who do this”.

9 Likes

Yeah, it’s an exclamation of surprise. Source: my gut says so. I too am having difficulty finding independent confirmation.

Maybe it’s similar to the English way of changing topics with “and” (i.e. it’s the casual と). Like “Aaaand you’ve gone and eaten the whole thing.”

2 Likes