Pages 19 - 35

Chapter 1: ふじさんとカップラーメン

Start Date: 2nd May
Last Week: Chapter 1.1
Next Week: Chapter 2

Laid-Back Camp

ゆるキャン△ Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

12 Likes

Accidentally read ahead last week because I didn’t understand we were splitting the 1st chapter. :stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes

Sounds like you’re excellently placed to answer people’s questions then :wink:

11 Likes

I’m also done with this week’s reading.
I have to say I love it way more than expected. The last 4koma made me laugh too :joy:
I had to exert my willpower to stop reading.

17 Likes

I think this half was easier to read. Plus not as much new words.

4 Likes

That’s good to know. Although I’m pretty sure I’ve forgotten most of the words from last week :crazy_face: I am hoping to make a start on this week’s reading over the weekend.

1 Like

PAGE 20

I read a whole bubble (second bubble in panel 2) without needing to translate! #babysteps

Random question re second bubble in panel 3: What is the character after the へ? It looks like a う with a tenten, but I have no idea because I’m still getting use to that font.

EDIT: I worked it out by fiddling around on my keyboard… it’s a vu!
へゔ - meaning heavy?

8 Likes

Page 20

It is. Used to say “v”. Though I don’t think what she is saying here is an actual word! Just her own language!

Page 20, by the way, not 19.

1 Like

Thanks. I just worked it out by fiddling around on my keyboard. Any idea what へゔ means? Jisho and my Google-fu are failing me.

PS - Oops! I’ll edit.

1 Like

Same! I really need to learn to read the post before I do the reading itself.

1 Like

I believe it’s more of a sound than anything else. Poor baby is just agreeing to Rin’s recap through a stuffy nose and remaining tears.

Imagine the sound from this:

edit: nadeshiko sniff gif

10 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think you’re gonna find this one on Google. It’s はい with a dose of pure Nadeshiko emoting.

9 Likes

Thank you, @tkyk and @Belthazar! Much appreciated.

To quickly add another comment, while ヴ is used to represent “vu” in katakana, I don’t think it applies in hiragana. What’s happening here is (to quote Wikipedia):

In informal writing, dakuten is occasionally used on vowels to indicate a shocked or strangled articulation; for example, on あ゙ or ゔ. Dakuten can also be occasionally used with ん (ん゙) to indicate a guttural hum, growl, or similar sound.

16 Likes

Aha! Thanks for sharing that. I’m learning so much from you all.

I just finished page 21 and had a nice giggle. I may just get the hang of this yet!

1 Like

Page 20

Second panel:

自転車で富士山見に来たんだけど

自転車で - by bicycle
富士山 - Mount Fuji
見に来た - came to see
ん - explanation particle
だけど - however

“But [you] came to see Mount Fuji by bicycle”

No question… I worked it out while typing, and it would be a pity to waste it! :smiley:

7 Likes

PAGE 23

Me again…

Re: first thought bubble in last panel.

I’m reading it as something like “come to think of it, I’ve never done anything but solo camping before”, but I don’t understand the grammar behind 私 at the end of the sentence.

2 Likes

I know that in informal speech the subject is often tagged on at the end.
何これ?- what is that?

Edit: or do I mean topic? My head spins with this kind of stuff! But you know what I mean!

2 Likes

Wow last week was rough and now I’m super behind :sweat:

1 Like

Thank you, kindly! :slight_smile:

1 Like