Chapter 1: ふじさんとカップラーメン

Start Date: 25th April
Next Week: Chapter 1.2

Laid-Back Camp

ゆるキャン△ Home Thread

Last line for eBook readers:
まだいた。

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

14 Likes

We have begun!

Laid-Back Camp sparkles

Guidelines for posting questions:

• Please use the search function before posting to check whether your question has already been asked / answered.

• You must must include the page number when asking questions! Otherwise people can’t search the thread properly (see above), and it’s much harder for others to help.

• Ask questions. People love answering them, and questions help everybody else in the club. They add to the discussion, help people who were too shy to post or are just reading that section later than you, can flag up misunderstandings people didn’t realise they’d had, and are a good way for people answering to learn themselves.

Other things:

• Please do blur out any spoilers for the week, however early they occur.

• Don’t forget to make use of the vocab spreadsheet, and remember to read the guidelines if you contribute to it :+1:

14 Likes

I’m sorry, but I have a question about page 13, first frame.
The sentence is きさまら全員まとめて刀の…にしてやるぜ。。。, but I can’t recognize the kanji after 刀の
I think the left radical is gold, and the bottom right is moon, but I can’t recognize the top right radical, because it’s too small…

7 Likes

! I think that’s the one kanji I couldn’t identify when I started reading this myself way back when :grin: still can’t tell what it is now, sorry. The missing radical looks like 生, but without the little flicky bit perhaps?

3 Likes

Pretty sure it’s 錆(さび)

8 Likes

In that case, if I’m right about the other radicals, it would be gold + blue (金 + 青)…
Unfortunately, it’s not on WaniKani… When I started looking by radicals at jisho.org, the closest one I found was 錆 (rust, tarnish)…

I’ll make all of you, bastards, rust on my sword - well, it sounds weird, but it might be what she is actually saying to the firewood she is about to cut

P. S. @danzo さん、sorry, I only noticed your post once I finished writing this one - I’m glad you think so too.

13 Likes

Yep, she’s acting out that role. Fits the general tone of the panel as well, with the low angle shot, dark cloud and drawing the knife like a sword. The contrast with the rest of the page is brilliant.

Don’t tell me you’ve never posed looking awesome with a dangerous implement before :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9 Likes

Also, I’ve noticed that that girl sometimes omits particle を

3 Likes

Or が :wink: like on page 10 - 穴空く instead of 穴が空く

6 Likes

Yeah, in fact, at first I thought it was one word and tried to find 穴空く at jisho.org :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Good morning, lovely people! This is my first book club and I’m looking forward to reading along with you. I think I’m probably in over my head, but I’ve set myself a goal of 2 pages/day and hope I’ll be able to keep up.

Page 3 - 今日は雲がかかって見えないか
I don’t understand the sentence ending particle か here. Is there another usage of か beyond the question particle?

Page 4 - あれは確実にカゼ引くな
Is it common to refer to people with あれ? I translated it as “she will certainly catch a cold”.

10 Likes

This is the question particle! She is musing to herself, much as you might say “huh, it’s not visible today, then?”

Welcome to the club :blush: がんばって!

10 Likes

Maybe the あれ refers to the scene/act, and not just Nadeshiko? Like in, “Acting like that, you’ll certainly catch a cold” or something with that feeling.

15 Likes

Ah! Thank you so much (for both the welcome and the reply).

4 Likes

That makes more sense. Thanks so much :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Btw, question about page 10 last frame first sentence:

思ったより効かん。。。

I’m not entirely sure about that かん。Is it the sentence ender か + の transformed into ん?
Or is it 効果ん、again with の transformed into ん?
Or is it some obscure word 効かん that I was unable to find at jisho.org?
In any case, I think I got the meaning, just want to understand the details better
In spreadsheet it’s the negative form of 効く - does that mean that ん is the transformed ない of 効かない?

Also, page 11, second frame, is 薪 pronounced たきぎ or まき? In the spreadsheet it’s pronounced まき、but can it be pronounced たきぎ in such case too?

P. S. Distinguishing っ and つ in the manga is harder than in normal typing :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I see other people replying, but anyway, it’s a contraction of 効かない, from the verb 効く :slight_smile:

Also, it’s nice to have you with us! :cat2:

16 Likes

I see, thank you! It seems I did get the meaning wrong after all :sweat_smile:
I thought it was It’s more effective than I thought while in reality it’s It’s not more effective as I thought

P. S. Ah, so, she was talking about the hand warmer! In other words, she was hoping that she wouldn’t need the fire, because she brought that hand warmer, but it turned out to be less effective than she thought.
Sorry, I usually read in several approaches and at first one I just try to find out the approximate meaning, which often results to me being way off the actual meaning :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

It’s a bit of a pain right? If I can’t tell from the context, I tend to guess based on how wide it is with this kind of font.

Does anyone know if 「かさ」 ひらく or あく?
Edit: They ひらく

2 Likes

By the way, about your other question, there’s a difference in meaning between まき and たきぎ
まき is chopped wood, たきぎ is just wood you picked up to make a fire (branches, …)

Reference: 「薪(まき)」と「薪(たきぎ)」の違いは、ありますか?お願いしま... - Yahoo!知恵袋

10 Likes