Pages 89 - 113

Chapter 4: 富士山と鍋キャンプ

Start Date: 23rd May
Last Week: Chapter 3
Next Week: Chapter 5

Laid-Back Camp

ゆるキャン△ Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

7 Likes

Really enjoying this book even though it takes me a while to read it each week.

Page 93: 好きなだけ使いなよ
I’m not sure what she’s trying to say here. She only lets people she likes use them?

5 Likes

It’s a set phrase meaning “all/as much as you want”.

11 Likes

It’s good to know that だけ can also mean “as much as” with other verbs, nouns or adjectives, not only 好きな!

食べたいだけ食べなさい。(eat as much as you want.)

7 Likes

This chapter has been the easiest to read for me so far :smile: just one question on Page 96 though:
is「辛そうで辛くない、少し辛いお鍋だよ」= “It may look spicy, but it’s not – that’s mild [spicy] hot pot [for you]!” (with an advertising tone lmao) ?

10 Likes

Exactly, 奥さん!
I guess you need to live in Japan to know what tone she is talking about, though. When you go to the supermarket (well, when you don’t have a global pandemic at least), you always have some places with 試食, and the staff trying to make you taste stuff has a very practiced way of speaking. Well, considering they say the same thing all day long, I guess it’s natural?

Edit to avoid double posting:
Nice night sky shot! I love that kind of picture (well, the real ones, not the manga one :p). I have no idea what they are called though. Long exposition?

10 Likes

Fujinomiya gets mentioned but not shown this week, but for the fun of it, here’s the directions from Nambu to Fujinomiya via Fumotoppara. Not entirely direct. Though, I guess Nadeshiko only says her sister is heading towards Fujinomiya - maybe she went to see the Shiraito Falls. That said, contrary to Rin’s comment, the shortest route from Nambu to Fumotoppara is actually about 33-35km rather than 40km.

This is the chapter that starts to break my suspension of disbelief just a teeny bit. Specifically, Nadeshiko’s sister - how is it remotely possible that she loves driving around (or her sister) so much that she’s willing to camp out in the car overnight for her sister’s benefit? :stuck_out_tongue:

Pae 91, what exactly is the primary meaning of 布団? The mattress? The blanket? Both? Either? In the final panel on this page, Nadeshiko says she brought a 布団, but when we see it on page 105 and up, it hardly even looks like what I’d picture as a futon blanket - it just looks like a regular blanket. Characters in the drama series I’ve been translating also recently referred to just the blanket as 布団 - the context is two characters are sleeping in futon (i.e. mattress+blanket) side by side, and during the night, one steals the other’s blanket, and later another character refers to it as “she stole your 布団”.

Page 93, panel 4, comments in another thread have made me realise that people might not get the reference that Rin is making, It’s this.

Page 97, panel 5, hypothesis: どうじゃ is どうですか in a dialect where the copula is じゃ. Supporting evidence: the later use of じゃろ. Thoughts?

Not related to your question, but this panel kinda highlights one of the things that I don’t absolutely love about this manga: Ridiculous overuse of screentones. And in particular, that screentone. In some panels, I can’t even tell what’s going on with all those vertical lines getting in the way.

To me, this looks like it should mean “eat only what you want”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Aye, the 奥さん comes out to play again.

Long exposure.

13 Likes

Yes, that’s a possible usage. The one you sleep on is technically 敷き布団, the blanket is 掛け布団, but people just shorten it to 布団, so you need context to know which one they are talking about.

10 Likes

This also crossed my mind (“wow, what a nice sister!”) but I just left it at the thought that maybe she’s fond of Nadeshiko enough to go along with her shenanigans :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, I’d love some onigiri and tea too =w=

9 Likes

Not to mention fried rice, pudding, karaage, anpan, potato chips, bamkuchen, ice cream and tonkotsu.

10 Likes

Hold the tonkotsu. I’m trying to lose some weight.

11 Likes

I can’t decipher a word and it’s not on the vocab sheet either, I don’t think.

It’s page 98, last panel シXの雑炊おいしいのに、 is it シメ ?

3 Likes

Yep. I’d say it’s definition 4.

I’d have added it to the vocab sheet, except I was reading it as メシ…

3 Likes

I don’t know if it is relevant, but I found a recipe for シメ雑炊 but the language is beyond my current abilities シメ雑炊のレシピ・作り方|レシピ大百科(レシピ・料理)|【味の素パーク】 : ご飯や溶き卵を使った料理

1 Like

Check out “star trails” on google images for some beautiful long exposure shots of the night skies.

5 Likes

I love this chapter. It’s so… snuggly :blush: I feel like it does a really good job of capturing that dark, rustly quiet in the early morning, and that sleepy feeling of getting up for something worthwhile even though your body wants to stay bundled up.

Page 94

The page gives various locations where one could stick a heater pack, followed by this:

など太い血管が通っている所に貼り

上からマフラーやダウンを着込むと効果的です

So, two questions - the など is following on from the previous list of suggestions, right? stick them in locations where large blood vessels pass by; between your shoulder blades, the base of your neck, and the like.

And then I don’t quite get 上から - I assume this means “and wear extra clothes on top like a scarf or down jacket”, but why から?

9 Likes

Somehow I read this chapter last week by accident, and then completely forgot about it…

Someone has filled in 担々餃子鍋 as “rice dumpling pot”. I’m not sure this exists as a proper word, but I’m pretty sure it’s referring to hot pot made with the soup from dandan noodles (担々麺). Shall I go ahead and change it?
Here’s a recipe:

And one inspired by this manga :drooling_face::

That’s how I read it as well.

Not exactly an answer, but sometimes it’s best not to think too hard…
A sentence search suggests 上から can be used like “over” or “on top of”, but I didn’t find anything super relevant.

8 Likes

I’d’ve said it’s definition 5 since there’s no restaurant hopping involved - but now I rather think it’s just mixing leftover rice and soup from another meal, like in the recipe @davids68 found.

Oh man, I wish I had access to a Japanese supermarket. :drooling_face:

9 Likes

Yes, definitely. Not even sure where that came from - did someone translate “gyoza” as rice dumpling? Because I’m not sure rice is even involved in the manufacture of those.

2 Likes

Yeah, also I had to google rice dumpling. Google informed me they were ちまき, and I went “oh! Okay”. :joy: It’s always fun to find things I know in Japanese but not in other languages (although that category of words seems to be limited to foodstuff and 時代劇 terms).

4 Likes