よつばと! Vol 3 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

:thinking:

てな is actually a grammar point on its own: Meaning of てな, tena | Japanese Dictionary | JLearn.net (my grammar dictionaries are at home, but I recall looking this up in those, too)

It’s like a combination of the quotation-particle and the “like” な, meaning “a thing like what I just said”. So if you know those individually, you can derive a close-enough correct interpretation like you did, but it allows for more complex structures with following nouns when the subject isn’t already well-known.

2 Likes

Page 161

Jumbo: 子供はあてにならねぇ
Yotsuba’s dad: 子供をあてにするな

Jumbo: “kids can’t be trusted [to do things right]”
Yotsuba’s dad: “[you] rely on kids”

In English I expect the dad’s response would mark the sarcasm with a question mark and an exclamation mark, but they are not here. Am I reading this correctly?

There might be two な’s that are being confused. The slang ね->な is “you see”, and the な that is a negative command “don’t do”.

In this case, I’m pretty sure it’s the latter.
“Kid’s can’t be relied on!”
“Don’t rely on kids.”

Koiwai’s face shows resignation, so he’s probably not in the mood to add any ?! or !. It isn’t sarcasm, AFAIK.

3 Likes

Oh, I see! Yes! That makes perfect sense! Thank you @BobaGakusei! You are a star!

Page 161

連れてくるのはあんなチビっ子じゃねーだろー?

I’m having trouble with this!
This is what I’ve got:
連れてくる - the てくる form of 連れる = to bring someone along
のは = making a noun of the first part?
あんな = such
チビっ子 = rug rat!
じゃねーだろー? = is this short for ではないだろうか = “isn’t it?”

So, with a little help from HiNative, I got something like “I didn’t think he would bring along such a little kid (or such little kids)”

Any help much appreciated!

2 Likes

The HiNative translation is about right. Jumbo wanted Yotsuba to invite Asagi, but Yotsuba totally failed and invited Ena and Miura instead.

“The one to bring along isn’t that kind of little kid, you know?”

のは is pretty much making a noun of the first part.

Yes-ish. Since だろう is already pretty informal, the か can be omitted.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

You guys might want to move this topic to the new #japanese-language:reading section. :upside_down_face:

:thinking:

1 Like

@ to all frequent posters (2+ posts)

@marcusp @BobaGakusei @Belthazar @Kazzeon @Chellykins @jstrout @caitlinfrunks @Rowena @Borx

We’ll be moving this thread to the new reading section in 7 days.

The reading section will allow us to increase exposure of our reading club. However, since it will be publicly indexed by search engines (as opposed to private, the way Campfire threads are), if there’s anything you’d like to delete or edit out, now’s your chance.

5 Likes

@ to remaining posters (1 post) [there’s a limit of 10 @ mentions per post]

@Sky20 @saiakuma @Abstormal @fl0rm @seanblue @windupbird

See above post

1 Like

This is a reading group, not “share your thoughts, experiences and opinions”… so not sure why we need to wait?
All the others have been moved. People can always go in and remove any comments after moving (though I don’t see why anyone would…), people won’t instantaneously discover us.

It was discussed a little bit here:

It doesn’t really hurt to wait 7 days, so I can’t see the harm. It takes a day for posts to disappear properly and not everyone visits the forums every day (?!), so it seems fair to give people a chance to delete them in advance.

2 Likes

Well, if the other option was to not move at all then I’m happy with this option. Having them all together is a longed for pleasure! I love the new section! Finding all the reading threads, new and old, in a collected place makes it so much easier to keep track of =)

I also hope the fact that it can be seen attracts new users! =D

2 Likes

I am also excited that there is a Reading section now :grin: just the part of me that likes tidiness and organisation is thrilled, not even considering the actual material advantages…

In a couple of weeks you won’t even remember that you had to wait :wink:

3 Likes

Why was only the 1st volume thread moved? :thinking:

Likely because it was part of the beginner bookclub, before Yotsuba splintered off.

I guess people might be ashamed of naive questions they asked or poorly prepared responses, but, like, that’s part of the process of learning a language. There’s stuff I’d want to go back and admonish myself for, but nothing I’d see fit to remove or edit, and nothing that wasn’t corrected by someone more knowledgeable within a post or two.

Exactly. But it is a nice gesture though, I’ll gladly wait 7 days as long as it gets moved =)
I can be the one to do it too unless someone has been tasked with it =^_^=

2 Likes

Also, how is a reading club not “share your thoughts and opinions”, mostly about the book, obviously.

But, it’s a place to hang out, and everything related to the book, or things that happen in the book, are up for discussion.

Like, what do you think of the zoo?
Do you like 花火?
What about flowers, does anyone know if they’re supposed to be stored at a certain temperature?
Oh, yeah. I worked at a flower shop, and we had this fridges for some flowers.
祭りは行ったことがある?

Of course this is a public place, technically. But I would like to think that we’re more than strangers, so everything discussed here is supposed to be in context. Nothing too extreme, but either way.

If someone thinks that they don’t want what they said to be out there, it’s their right.

/rant

2 Likes