よつばと! Vol 3 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

いいえ、他の人は怖い。
よつばと!を読んで下さい。

2 Likes

:thinking: I don’t think I understand what you mean by the last part.

Nah, I got it; I just felt compelled to respond with that for some reason. Misread the line above. Derp.

I couldn’t recall how to express “instead” for the second line, though. (Easy to read, hard to produce)

代わりに, perhaps.

1 Like

Yeah, but it just doesn’t feel right…

Like, 代わりに、よつばと!を読んで下さい。seems incomplete: よつばと! isn’t replacing anything directly, it’s an alternative thing to do. It could be that I need to turn the act of reading it into a noun, as you did with 行ったこと.

Also, I completely misread your sentence above: “I” became “you” and “what you mean” became “what I meant” when parsing. Sorry about that.

I’d think it’s replacing going out (which is implied when you say people are scary).

1 Like

This whole discussion is taking place in the wrong thread.
This is the vol.3 discussion thread.
Surely this discussion should be happening in the Yotsuba Reading Club main thread, which you can find here.

1 Like

Page 162

なんだこの小さなナマイキ物体はー

A few questions here, if anyone has the time and inclination to help! But the gist is clear, so no worries if not! Thank you!

なんだ - this is “what”, but I don’t quite get why there is a だ at the end. Doesn’t だ go at the end of the sentence, or is this another inversion due to casual usage?
この - this
小さな - small. But why the な? I thought 小さい was an い-adjective?
ナマイキ - this must be 生意気, なまいき, cheeky! Lovely word!
物体 - ぶったい, body
はー - “as for”

“As for this cheeky little body, what is it?”

1 Like

I always have the time and inclination, though not always a copy of the book to refer to. :stuck_out_tongue:

Guess なんだ is a bit more casual than なにが or whatever.

小さい is a bit sneaky in that it can also pretend to be a な-adjective, but only ever when acting prenominally. 大きい is the same (大きな).

“What’s with this cheeky little thing?”

2 Likes

Wow! I am in awe of your knowledge! Thank you so much again!

page 33
Yotsuba: あ!とーちゃんにもはなびしてくるってゆっとかないと
I understand that ゆ is いう, and ないと is ‘have to’, but what’s the verb here? I assumed from context it’s “I have to tell dad too! (along with Fuuka and Ena)”
has revelation while typing
ゆっとかないと = いっとかないと = いっておかないと = I have to tell (in advance) = I have to tell dad too!
Right?..

2 Likes

Yep, I was also having trouble parsing it. :joy:

2 Likes

Page 33

This grammar is way too advanced for me, but Jisho tells me that ないと is a short version of ないと行けない and that both mean “have to” / “must”. However, where is the verb “tell (in advance)”, I’m sure you are 100 percent right, but can you tell me where you see that? Thank you!

Jisho? :frowning:

1 Like

it’s such a mess because it’s casual speech really but the main things are: 言う goes to ゆう, and ておく goes to とく.

So 言う is taken to ゆう, conjugated to て-form, had おく put on -->ゆっておく. That is then changed to casual speech (ゆっとく), and negated (ゆっとかない)

If that makes sense

3 Likes

Jisho! :smiley::+1::wink:

LOL! It is a tough one! Thank you so much for breaking it all down! Now to do a bit of studying! Nice one, thank you!

Haha, I was mostly joking about the fact that I answered a question about that like a day ago. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Also, 置く #9

1 Like

LOL! You were probably answering me! I forget things quicker than I learn them! Forever going over and over the same basic grammar and vocab! Always the beginner!

1 Like

Glad to help! And return the favour! It definitely is confusing, took me about five minutes to figure it out :joy: Always gets me too

2 Likes