よつばと! Vol 3 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Join the よつばと! Reading Club!

よつばと! Volume 3 (Chapters 15-21) Discussion Thread

Current Chapter: Chapter 21

81fswfMPlTL

Reading Schedule

Start Date Reading Jump To Discussion
March 4 Chapter 15 link
March 11 Chapter 16 link
March 18 Chapter 17 link
March 25 Chapter 18 link
April 1 Chapter 19 link
April 8 Chapter 20 link
April 15 Chapter 21 link

Reminders for Discussion:

1. Feel free to discuss grammar, vocabulary, comprehension questions, as well as interesting plot or character development.
  2. Include references (page, panel, character speech bubble, etc.) so that others can help you.
  3. We’re all here to learn and read together, so share your thoughts and ask questions!

Resources

• Vocabulary (google spreadsheet): The vocabulary list is created and maintained by all of us. Please contribute what you can! You can also use and edit this spreadsheet anonymously.
  • Romaji Desu: An online dictionary that allows you to lookup by romaji, even for conjugated verbs.

User-Provided Translations

Please contribute translations to practice your comprehension and get feedback! Keep translations within spoiler blocks, for example:

[details="Chapter X"]
your translation for chapter X
[/details]
10 Likes

@anon20839864: Can the original post be turned into a wiki post? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Brilliant! I love the way you have created a google spreadsheet for this! Thank you so much, what a fabulous resource!

1 Like

Incredible, there’s already someone working on it this early! :star_struck:

I’d like to help with the spreadsheet, but I don’t really want to read the chapters beforehand or all at once; so I’ll just check the spreadsheet from time to time and add explanations or stuff that is missing. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think @Rowena and I are giving it our best. (If I left anyone out, thank you too!) Please

It does take a little bit of pre-reading, but it also guarantees that our questions will be there when it comes time to discuss. :wink:

2 Likes

@anon20839864: Can the original post be turned into a wiki post?

It looks like we’re pretty much done with Chapter 15’s vocab list. Great work!

1 Like

I made a few tweaks. Honestly not sure how you’re choosing which words to add, though. Are you just sticking in everything that’s not a conjunction?

Also repeated words should probably be removed?

To be honest, I’m not sure what vocab level we should be aiming for. In the end, most words ended up being added, but that was likely overkill.

Repeats are helpful in-context, but they should probably be avoided within the same chapter. We can edit those out.

@Kazzeon, @Belthazar: Do you mind marking the words you think are too easy to include? That would help a lot. You can use the column(s) after Notes to do so.

I don’t think words should be too easy to include.
Just not repeating, and also taking out conjugations would be fine, imo.

Marked the repeated ones, but still don’t know how much is enough with respect to other words like: あ!; あら

That’s the problem, I have no idea what constitutes “too easy”. I know most of these words, but then, I’ve also been studying for a while. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just spotted 昨日 in there twice, though.

It’s hard to decide on a standard. :smiley: Thanks for looking it over, both of you.

Also, ワル? I read it as クル because “cool” was the only thing I could think of that would need to be katakana. Oh, Yotsuba…

So, starting the discussion beforehand:
She (yotsuba) is talking about how smoking is bad. She says so on a previous panel.
たばこはわるいからだめだって, then switches to ワルかった and ワルイのか?

That’s true, she used わるい with hiragana and then switched to katakana ワルかった. Why…

Erased all the repeated ones, looks pretty solid for now.

The fourth panel of p 14 hasn’t been finished, and I haven’t a clue what she’s saying.

I’m starting to think I need to bring my Yotsubato to work so I don’t have to wait until I get home to answer questions.

Post an image of the panel, maybe? :slightly_smiling_face:

Agh, me too. I can’t really do anything until I get home either. :smiley:

I’m upset.

I thought we were setting up the reading pack / vocab list in a similar fashion to the one some of us used for Vol. 2, with all the repetitiveness and minutiae that that involved.

The changes that I have seen this morning, that seem to have been made by people who don’t even really need to use the list, have just made participation for those of use who do depend on it (sometimes very much) that much more difficult.

It’s reasonably simple to revert changes in Google docs. Glancing through the changes, I’m not really sure what you’re concerned about, though in all fairness I’m one of the people who don’t even really need to use the list. Either way, I don’t really feel that repetition is necessary.