よつばと! Vol 3 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

“If you run out of tickets, I’ll make more, so use them.”

I think it’d make sense like this:

“I will make more only if you run out of tickets, so use them.”

But perhaps the context is enough to let that meaning through.

Kind of like, “You don’t need to wait until my wedding, I can make more y’know…”

4 Likes

Okay, let’s see… there’s 6 points of confusion on the vocab list still.

1. Page 140, there’s handwritten kanji next to the katakana テレビ. We’re not sure what about the TV needs to be set up. Can anyone identify the kanji?
  2. Page 142. What’s wrong with Yotsuba saying that she’ll でる at the fireworks display? Is this verb not something used with people?
  3. Page 148. しか買ってやらない. Does the やる add anything to the meaning? Why not just say しか買わない?
  4. Page 153. Yotsuba is trying to get Asagi to see the fireworks display and says あさぎに + みてもらいたい. I might be mixing up the give/receive verbs, but I think あげたい would have been better since Yotsuba is the subject of the sentence.
  5. Page 156. What is きてこう? It seems like it might be a compound verb with the casual + volitional conjugation.
  6. Page 156. Is つけとく short for 付けておく?
2 Likes
  1. The issue with recognising the kanji is that it’s in simplified form (i.e. compare 聞 with the version that appears in the manga). After more playing around with radicals, I rather suspect what we’re looking for is 欄 = column in a newspaper. “I’d like to see the TV column”.
  2. Think the meaning being used here is “to participate”, but she won’t be participating, she’ll be watching.
  3. やる is the higher-to-lower status version of あげる. 買ってやる = buy for her.
  4. Yeah, that I’m not entirely sure of.
  5. きて行こう, I think.
  6. Yes. Also, the meaning being used here is “to add”. I.e. add water to the flowers = water the flowers.
3 Likes
  1. It’s hard to read simplified kanji. T_T 欄 does look pretty close, if you assume the simplification is to 聞’s. (Though honestly, I wouldn’t have been able to identify either one.)
  2. でる does imply that she’ll be making an appearance, but a spectator wouldn’t do that.
  3. Oh yeah. We did just have a few chapters about やる(ing) flowers. It’s good to think of in terms of あげる.
  4. Oh well, the intent is still understandable.
  5. Another abbreviation, but 行こう does make the most sense.
  6. 付ける is a very versatile verb. “to apply” “to put on” are much closer in meaning than “to attach” if we’re referring to water and flowers.

It’s the last week for Volume 3. Thanks for reading along!

Chapter 21 Vocab List

1 Like

How long until we start volume 4? i might need to grab a copy of books 4-14 ><

1 Like

I suspect we’ll be taking a break for a while before starting on Volume 4. Perhaps a month or so? There isn’t a plan in-place yet, but we should figure this out in the meta-thread (よつばと! Reading club).

2 Likes

thank you i will look there!
a month is good for me

Page 122

Can I ask a quick question about way back on page 122?

What do people think is going on with the モテモテだなあ at the bottom of the page?

Is it the dad saying that Yotsuba is popular with the owl? Or something I’m not seeing?

(I love how terrified Yotsuba is! So cute!)

2 Likes

Yes. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Page 130

Back in chapter 19, page 130, Yotsuba’s dad says:

よつばはゾウが何言ってるかわかるかー?

I know he must be saying “Do you understand what the elephant is saying?” but I’m having a bit of trouble seeing how it all fits together:

よつば - Yotsuba!
は - “as for”
ゾウ - elephant
が - object marker
何 - what
言ってる - saying
か - ???
わかる - understand
かー?- question

I’m not sure why both ‘say’ and ‘understand’ take the forms they do, and what that か is doing in the middle of the sentence. Any help much appreciated!

2 Likes

Not entirely clear on the issue with わかる, but 言ってる is short for 言っている = is saying.

The か marks an embedded question - Do you understand “What is the elephant saying?”?

3 Likes

Thank you! Got it! Never seen one of them before, never knew it was possible! Thank you so much!

Something that doesn’t have much to do with what you asked, but is another form of か in the middle of a sentence: かどうか

1 Like

Actually, this か is pretty much exactly the かどうか structure, only without the optional どうか tacked on.

1 Like

Page 130

Still on page 130 (you can see how slowly I read!), middle frame.
The small writing says: そこの木陰で
The kanji is 木陰 - こかげ. The shade of a tree.
Just to point out that the vocab list (which is superb and without which I would be utterly lost) has it down as 木影.
Though that makes perfect sense! Jisho says means shadow and is also read as かげ!

2 Likes

Fixed. Thanks for pointing it out.

1 Like

Thank you so much for all your amazing work @BobaGakusei!

No problem! It’s a good reminder for me to be careful when using an IME. Sometimes, the first option isn’t necessarily correct one!

1 Like