What's your worst leech?

That’s a pretty good way of remembering.
I just remembered that the が looks like someone falling (or rising) and the げ looks like a person going up or down a rock climbing wall, so by belaying you’d be raising (or lowering) them.

After i finally figured out a way to remember which translation to go along with 交じる and 交ぜる respectively, I’ve now been stuck mixing up 向く and 向ける for quite some while. -.-’
Though 年来 is going to be stuck in apprentice for a while as well, i fear.

Yeah I’ve found that the physical act of moving your body makes the association stick way better.

MOOD. I’m so glad they reintroduced adding synonyms again because I keep typing the one word that WK does not recognise though I know it’s a synonym ;~;

Yes, those for me too.

so do I!!!
I also struggle with things like writing “to fall” instead of “to fall down” ;~;

2 Likes

就職

就業

I can read these two kanji perfectly everytime… but for the life of me I can’t keep their meanings straight. :scream: :scream: :scream:

1 Like

Hahaha. I went shopping with my wife yesterday and we bought some lighting fixtures that had to be ordered and delivered to the store. The store clerk indicated the items would be ready on the 八日, and my native Japanese wife proceeded to ask…どういうことですか? はちにちですか?

To which I chimed in そうだよ。Day Eightだよー

We non-natives aren’t the only ones who struggle it seems.

2 Likes

I did but still got it wrong :slightly_smiling_face:

Anything which starts with 大。I somehow always get the reading wrong, using だい instead of たい and vie versa/

1 Like

大阪, 「だいさか」

2 Likes

Great city

2 Likes

大勢 - Dai-sei … :slight_smile:

Edit: And of course it means “great Force”, what else.

1 Like

具合 and 皮 are tied for first place for me. Follow up is 思想. Leech score of 23 and 19 respectively. :exploding_head:

2 Likes

All the 想 ones are my bane - 予想, 想定, 思想, 感想… concept shmoncept…

What do you use to check the score?

3 Likes

I’m using the WaniKani item Inspector script.

Yeah, those dozens of hypothesis and anticipation words are awful. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! This let me know that apparently 名字 is my worst enemy (that damn reading…), followed closely by 六日 (why not ろっか ?!) and 作用 (what’s up with 作用 anyway? I can’t seem to make it stay in my head)

2 Likes

場合 makes me cry because I just can’t get myself to type “A” twice in a row…I suppose it would help to have a spelling script on or something, but I just typed it twice incorrectly >_< so maybe not XD

2 Likes

Anything that has 相 or 推 in it. I don’t have a problem with the kanji themselves, but the vocab that use them all sound the same and the kanji that make up the jukugo all mean pretty similar things…
bah.

The radical 品 means products, but 品物 is goods while 商品 can be goods or product so it confuses me a lot!

2 Likes

光景 (こうけい) - spectacle
景観 (けいかん) - scenery
絶景 (ぜっけい) - superb view

For some reason I confuse the three and keep answering all of them as “spectacular scenery” or “spectacular view”. I actually didn’t realize I was confusing THREE vocab items, I thought there were just two…

3 Likes

so far I’m wrestling with:

通す – no problem with the reading but I always forget to let (Sue) pass!
支度 – both the reading and meaning are unfair
今すぐ – always confuse the meaning with 今まで :unamused:
土地 – always answer with ‘earth’ instead of ‘land’ for the meaning :roll_eyes:
見付ける – always confuse this one with 気づく and answer with ‘notice’ :pensive:
運ぶ – the ぶ always causes me to write out 学ぶ… little trickster…

5 Likes