Week 6: フルーツバスケット ・ Fruits Basket 🍏 🍇 🍑 🍒 🍐 🍊 🧺

Join the Beginner Book Club Book Club here!

Home Thread: フルーツバスケット ・ Fruits Basket :green_apple: :grapes: :peach: :cherries: :pear: :tangerine: :basket:

Week 6

Fruits Basket 1

Start Date: July 25th
Previous Part: Week 5
Next Part: Week 7

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Pages (old) Pages (Collector’s) Page Count
Week 6 July 25th Chapter 5 143 - 174 145 - 176 32

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

3 Likes

Oh, that’s one hell of a cliffhanger this week. I kinda feel like reading ahead. :thinking: At the same time, I’m behind on a billion book clubs, so I should probably get to that instead. :sweat_smile:

Other than that that boar lady is pretty scary. It’s kinda weird that it’s being played for laughs…

6 Likes

Yeah, she’s intense… if I were Kyou, I’d probably stay away as well :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Surprisingly, I actually enjoyed this chapter the most so far. I was… pretty surprised by that. I think there was a good mix of different characters being the focus, which left less time for those I usually dislike. ^^ I also liked Tooru’s 'わかった’ moment.

Kagura sure is … something. But Tooru being the only person in that house who thinks violence is not the way to go has been a thing since the beginning, so I’m not sure there’s much to be surprised about here in regard to how it’s being treated. Kyou being the punching bag and everyone being very cavalier about it, while Tooru goes :scream: has been like the ‘comic relief’ so far.

:confused:

7 Likes

I’ve seen the transformations of all of the 12 from reading this series way back when, and I have to say that Kagura is my all-time fave. She’s so cute!

The roof scene was great. When I read it I immediately had the scene from the anime in my head, too.

Yeah, the violence thing is really something in Fruits Basket. I’m really split on what to think about it, if it fits or not. I like to think of it as exaggerated, normal quarrels and such and not something they ‘really’ do to eachother. Kind of like an art style choice or something, idk. I’m not sure how to explain it.

4 Likes

This chapter felt pretty easy. This is the first chapter I read all in one go, since restarting this manga this month. Quite enjoyed it.

Kagura is something else though, haha.

And yes, the violence is kinda played very straight except for Tooru. It feels more like normal manga trope, rather than necessarily fitting Fruits Basket perfectly.

2 Likes