Week 9: フルーツバスケット ・ Fruits Basket 🍏 🍇 🍑 🍒 🍐 🍊 🧺

Join the Beginner Book Club Book Club here!

Home Thread: フルーツバスケット ・ Fruits Basket :green_apple: :grapes: :peach: :cherries: :pear: :tangerine: :basket:

Week 9

Fruits Basket 1

Start Date: August 15th
Previous Part: Week 8
Next Part: Week 10

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Pages (old) Pages (Collector’s) Page Count
Week 9 August 15th Chapter 8 37 - 66 (v2) 243 - 272 30

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

3 Likes

Yay for Fruits Basket! Excited to read this week’s chapter. :rice_ball:

3 Likes

Hey everyone!

I haven’t been around for a bit, because I went on vacation to the beach and I uhh… finished the book :grimacing:

I still have questions about the last two chapters so I guess I’ll wait until then?

3 Likes

I think it would be helpful if you could wait until then, to avoid confusion and spoilers and out-of-context replies… Thanks!

1 Like

At least we now know why the random dog last week.

I’m curious to know what German speakers thought of this week :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m only halfway through this chapter, but will report back once I find something remarkable ^^

1 Like

Having finished the chapter, I can only say: “Ja! Sehr hübsch!” :rofl:

A few minor typos tbh, but otherwise quite surprising and fun. Looking forward to learn more about the new character.

1 Like

The English version had a quick translation of the German lines :slight_smile:
It was probably there in the Japanese version too, but those squares are so hard to read with the small handwritten text with no furigana so I don’t even try! XD

Also, love how she thought it was English! So wondered how they would deal with that in the English version (make it sound nonsensical and just say English, even though she speaks it?!)
Nah, they just picked «I don’t speak your language», so missed the little «miss-identification», but thats ok, that works :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, I know he comes out a bit weird in this chapter, but Momiji is my favourite character after Kyo! <3

2 Likes

Yeah, that gave me a good chuckle, too!

Also, there is another German word

which means “kiss” (although this is not a proper onomatopoeia… I would rather use “Schmatz!” for that)

Fair enough - I wouldn’t know how to improve this either…

He seems to tick all the German cliché boxes so far: rude (shoes in house and even on sofa), eats all the time (and potato stuff!), loud, direct, … but he is far too cute compared to the cliché image of a German.

Also, after recovering from the surprise, I thought a bit more about what he says, and his choice of words is really unnatural given the age and the situation. It’s more what I would expect to hear at a 19th century opera ball or something :laughing: (or to read in a textbook, which might be closer to reality…)

5 Likes

Though it is not as apparent from that scene, you certainly picked the right description! CUTE! <3

1 Like