We salute you API Version 1

Have you tried any of Flaming Durtles, Leap For Wanikani, and Jakeipuu?

Flaming durtles is basically unusable for me because of how messy and painstaking the interface is. I’ll check out those other two to see if they’re better

Leap seems to just redirect to the website so I’m not sure what it’s supposed to be used for and jakeipuu only lets me review one already burned radical again and again so I think the mobile site is the only thing I can use. I appreciate you naming other resources though

The loss of that thread is immeasurable destruction :pleading_face:

2 Likes

Let’s continue the discussion over here until we get this sorted out with Tofugu:

https://community.wanikani.com/t/bye-1000-characters/45633/32

1 Like

There’s also [iOS / Android / Web] Juken - Review App for WaniKani

2 Likes

(offtopic)

i don’t get the hate for FlamingDurtles. For me personally, it’s best way to use WK across all systems. It tells you basically all you need to know in the first third of the screen.

So out of interest, what don’t you like about the interface?
You can basically customize anything to your liking in the settings, remove elements from the dashboard, change font sizes, enable Anki mode, etc.

I mean, if you don’t like the looks of it and don’t want to use it, that’s fine. But i think it’s hard not to characterize the app as efficient to use.

1 Like

Agreed, people should really give it a chance. I get it, the look of it originally put me off too especially after coming from the pretty WK app and native WK, but it really didn’t take long to get used to. I can’t live without it now :pray:

The dev is well aware of it, too. The original post says that the app is designed for functionality, not shininess. And after seeing how well it works, I’ve gotta respect that!

1 Like

well, I guess that depends on the person. Some 3rd party apps may not support the new version. But I don’t use a ton of 3rd party apps, except for flaming durtles so…

I can’t even imagine hating on Flaming Durtles. It has the coolest wrapup function of any of the interfaces. That alone makes it my fave.

1 Like

I mean I get what you’re saying, obviously better functionality is supreme most of the time. But if an app is particularly ugly to look at, it can be a serious detriment to the user experience.

1 Like

さようならAPI V1。。。

Edit: Spelling correction

1 Like

Welcome to the forums!

P.S. さようなら

1 Like

Ah, ありがとうございます! I actually forgot there was a forum for this website until now.

1 Like

Alright, but it doesn’t even look ugly. I just checked some images on the play store and it looks pretty similar to wk, I think it looks quite nice. Commendable effort to the guy who made the app. Are you perhaps talking about how you navigate the interface, or purely the looks? What specifically are you complaining about?

The way everything is laid out and formatted I just don’t find as pleasing to the eye as WK for Android. I did discover there was a dark theme, which did help a little bit.

One of the things I dislike most is that when you “level up” a kanji (like from Apprentice to Guru), the pop-up appears right in the doggone middle of the next kanji, obscuring it completely.

That does sound very annoying.

One of the things I dislike most is that when you “level up” a kanji (like from Apprentice to Guru), the pop-up appears right in the doggone middle of the next kanji, obscuring it completely.

I think I found a couple things that might help with that (sorry if this doesn’t help, I literally discovered this a few minutes ago). First you can make the question test area bigger by going to Settings > Display Settings > Stretch the question view to fill the screen when keyboard input is active. Select this to turn it on if you haven’t already.

Next you can change the question text size by doing Settings > Font Settings > Max Font size of main quiz question text. Then slide the slider to your liking and It’ll make the Kanji/Vocab a whole lot bigger. Shame that you can’t really preview it, but you can start a self study quiz to see how it looks, then abandon session if you need to make any more changes.

Hope it helps!

It would be, if it were true. The level up/down toast is shown top center in the question view. Depending on screen size, pixel density and font/display settings, the toast can briefly overlap the top of the next question text, especially with smaller font sizes. But certainly not completely.

The toast can also be disabled entirely.

1 Like

Thanks for this! Currently, I’m testing an alpha version of WK for Android that’s been taken on by someone else to work with APIv2. But if I have to return to Flaming Durtles I’ll look into all this.