A week ago, I posted about a new app I was working on ([New App] Android WaniKani Progress app). The interface was crap in my opinion, and so I started over and made it look, I think, much better. See screenshots below. See below the screenshots for a detailed explanation of what the app does. I hope this is useful to you. The app is called WaniKanji. Link at the bottom.
My Items click:
Nav bar All WaniKani Items click:
Nav bar By Rank, then Master click:
Nav bar By SRS, then SRS 6 click:
Nav bar By Level, then 19 click:
Nav bar Leeches, then By Leech Score (>=2) click:
Wallpaper generator output (ordered and randomized) - click on images, they are blurred because of this forum’s compression:
- I have tried to make this app look sleek, but the backend is horribly written. I got this done in less than ten days and is my first android app.
- The search function is either local to what is currently on the screen, or global (all WK items). To know which is used where, bear this in mind:
- Clicking on the search icon in the top right will show you a hint letting you know what search you will be performing.
- Clicking on an item in a list of items does a global search.
- I’m quite happy with the search function because clicking on a Vocab item shows you the kanji that make it up and well as Vocab that contains those Kanji. You can keep clicking within search results to search further. A consequence of this however, is that clicking on a vocab with hiragana will return results that contain each of the hiragana results to. So clicking on a -ru verb will return all -ru verbs. I am currently unsure if I should look at this as a feature or a bug
- About forty items in all do not have a graphic showing the character. This has to do with how WK handles radicals it has invented as opposed to the traditional ones. I could put in some time to figure out why my attempt at a fix is not working, but since API 2.0 has been announced for the end of this year and should drastically improve on this, I think we can live without the images of forty radicals.
- Numbers on items in a list show the item’s level, and the color of the number shows the rank (apprentice, guru…).
- I have not given the app an icon yet, I am looking forward to your input.
- On the main screen, clicking on Level Progress will show you a progress bar for each item in the current level, which reflects the progress to Guru.
I really hope you enjoy using this (let’s first hope it works for you ).
Whether you hate it, like, love it, please let me know, and feel free to suggest improvements. But, to be honest, until the next API releases in a few months, I fear I might be slow with new features.
Currently this is on my TO-DO list:
- Review Queue (Difficulty: 2/5)
- Reviews (Difficulty: 3/5) - I attempted this and oh lordy. I have no idea why the keyboard spazzes out even when I specifically order it not to. I have code sitting waiting to be plugged in when I figure out the keyboard. DONE
- Missing radicals images (Difficulty: 1/5) - As I mentioned, this will come with API 2.0 hopefully.
- Identifying leeches (Difficulty: 1/5). If there is enough demand, I might snap to this sooner. DONE.
I will not put it on the store until I’ve had enough feedback telling me it works well enough. I will also not be charging for this app. This community has been such an amazing place to meet awesome people and I cannot bring myself to even consider putting a price tag on this. So thank you to all of you for brightening my day, every day.
P.S. I am willing to put the code up on GitHub or something, but bear in mind that the codebase is atrocious. This is what you get when you code as you learn, hack as you code, and make non-serializable ArrayLists . Oh and this is also what you get when you speed code.
UPDATE 07/27/17: Bug in previous version required API Key to be input at every app launch. Fix issued in this version.
UPDATE 07/27/17: You can now do reviews straight from the app, within an in-app-browser.
UPDATE 07/27/17: Leeches are now in the app. See updated screenshots :).
UPDATE 07/28/17: Progress bar percentages added.
UPDATE 08/03/17: On search results pages, searching for the item which resulted in the current results does nothing now.
UPDATE 08/04/17: Wallpaper generator included. Wallpapers get saved in Root->WaniKanji.
UPDATE 08/17/17: Clicking on your profile picture will refresh the Dashboard.
UPDATE 08/17/17: Character for group your level is in added next to level number (Pleasant, Painful… - see screenshot).
UPDATE 08/17/17: Duplicates in search results removed.