WaniKani's New Terms of Service

I love the index above, that allows to quickly navigate to the individual sections :heart: thanks for your effort.
Since non-humans are no longer allowed around, I hope @CyrusS can keep his account, as he is my favorite robot.

8 Likes

Tofugu does not warrant that the Service will meet your requirements; that the Service will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free; that the information provided through the Service is accurate, reliable or correct; that any defects or errors will be corrected; that the Service will be available at any particular time or location; or that the Service is free of viruses or other harmful components.

Oh great I can’t believe a crabigator is going to infect my computer after infecting my brain with incorrect information. Jokes on it though, for I use a mac and also have given up on even reading the provided mneumonics because I don’t like what they’re trying to make me think of.

Good it only says “create”, a cat is still allowed to use it! <3 :cat: :cat2:

16 Likes

I guess you’re right, although there is no way for the WK team to find out about that (unless the people involved volunteer the information).

In the example above, my mom gifted me a WK lifetime subscription. But once I reached 60, she could decide that she wants to learn kanji after all, and takes over the subscription from me. After all, she did pay for it. So that’s a gray area.

3 Likes

Read the whole ToS, but i believe now this thread is longer :scream:
I found it really well organized and the TL;DR and summary section are a good thing (also the bold highlight in it are appreciated).

The one thing that is missing (or maybe I missed a link? ) is a comparative section between old and new ToS, or just a simple list of changes; I can - and i did - read again a whole ToS but I do not find it really amusing to have to go through it just for maybe some small legal details that doesn’t really affect me.

Anyway well done, i believe this is now the most read ToS ever :smiley:

6 Likes

By percentage of users probably yes! Actual numbers, maybe not.

2 Likes

Achievement Get! Read a ToS properly :joy:

The summaries were a godsend, thank you

2 Likes

Re: use of content…
What is the extent of acceptable personal use of unlocked content outside of WK? If a user reaches a certain level, then lets their subscription lapse, what can they do with the material they’ve unlocked? Does continued personal use (only of unlocked material) require an active subscription?

(Sort of like hanging on to a college textbook after you graduate)

5 Likes

said the level 60
“Asking for a friend…”
they added quickly

Just in case: this is a joke. I think it is a valid question.

4 Likes

WaniFax when?

4 Likes

When they stop wanting to touch us

11 Likes

:slight_smile:

I could see it going either way. It might discourage a few people from getting Lifetime (which I already have). But also, in most cases, I’m not a fan of subscription licensing unless there’s always new content (in which case maintenance agreements are also an option). For example, I’m hanging onto my older version of Photoshop because I don’t use it often enough to merit a cloud subscription. (Adobe only does cloud subscriptions now)

2 Likes

Agreed, it is a hard question to answer.
It might also push some people to just abuse the reorder/ignore script so that they can just reach level 60 on a one year subscription plan and “actually” learn after that.
That being said, they could just take a one month subscription and export all the lessons, but people do dumb things all the time.

“Content” refers to content featured or displayed through the Website, including without limitation text, data, articles, images, photographs, graphics, software, applications, designs, features, and other materials that are available on the Website or otherwise available through the Service.

Isn’t it a little strange you list all that types of contents and yet you don’t include “audio clips” or something similar?

Shrimp pair well with vegetables. May I please participate? I could really use some support in these sad, discriminatory-against-non-human times.

I’m going to use WaniKani on own my terms, alright Tofugu?! my terms just happen to align perfectly with that of yours. So… That works out for both of us. shakes Tofugu’s hand in a gentlemen’s agreement (which in reality means I just clicked ‘Accept’ but… yeah, alright. We’re good).

7 Likes

Read through the whole TOS! Really appreciate the clear and easy language and summaries.

1 Like

That’s a really nice looking TOS :stuck_out_tongue: I read all the summaries. BTW, sorry to nitpick, but isn’t API Application Programming Interface?

2 Likes

I mean, I just updated my welcome post to link to it… does that count?

durt

17 Likes

The day you add my Guide is the day I can die in peace.

7 Likes

AHA! You’re dying in the next minute or so.
or as soon as you link me.

9 Likes