WaniKani Items Now Public!

Hey all!

We made a change to who can see radical, kanji, and vocabulary detail pages on WaniKani. The short story: everyone can view them now.

There used to be restrictions for viewing these individual item pages. Free accounts could only see up through level 3. Non-registered users couldn’t see anything. Now, anybody can look up anything they’d like on WaniKani without paying (the vocabulary word 無料, for example). All pages, even 公開, are now open to the public.

We wanted to better show everybody exactly what you’ll learn if you use WaniKani. We also think this will help out more students of Japanese and hope that dictionary services (like our friends at Jisho) can use these pages as references to help their users, too.

We have some plans for improving these pages in the future, but step one is to make them available for everybody to view. Check!

As always, thank you for all your hard work on those reviews.

139 Likes

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

9 Likes

:scream: This is such a huge change!

6 Likes

I applaud the approach to openness :slight_smile: the real value of WaniKani comes from its organization and convenience when studying, anyways, rather than the kanji and vocab lists themselves.

21 Likes

Excellent! How generous! Thank you.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for the change :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I just upgraded but I’m glad this is available to all now! :smiley:

5 Likes

I see what you did there. ^_~

I think this will increase your subscription base, too. (I hope so!)

13 Likes

You guys are amazing.

2 Likes

@seanblue,

This will fix the forum link issue for item links, too.

7 Likes

whoohhhoo! great work!

1 Like

@oldbonsai This is great! As @rfindley mentioned, this also fixes that annoying issue where the Discourse oneboxing of links would transform the WaniKani item links to the login page (since it was redirected). However, it looks like the item pages aren’t set up to handle this ideally. For example, https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/嬉しい when pasted inline like this should be able to automatically transform to something like WaniKani / Vocabulary / 嬉しい since that’s the title of the page. Similarly, pasted it on its own line should show a nice preview of the content, but right now it just has a generic WaniKani text.

Here are some examples of how it should look:

WaniKani Items Now Public!

5 Likes

Best money I ever spent on a learning tool. It helps me to keep my daily study routine, and without it I don’t think I’d ever been able to keep studying Japanese these past 10 months.

10 Likes

Does this mean that Jisho will now link to the items on WK?

3 Likes

If someone asks them, probably. They responded quickly and positively to jp a few weeks ago when he asked them to update a bunch of stuff.

Really they should just use the API and auto-sync their data every so often though.

5 Likes

I really admire Tofugu for erring on the side of openness. Many companies would consider it risky to let addons heavily modify site functionality and download all the item details, or to open all item info pages to the public. But letting us do all this has resulted in a whole ecosystem of addons that make WK fantastic for advanced users.

It’s one reason I advocate WK to any new Japanese learner I meet.

4 Likes

Good catch. I think we have to make some adjustments to the metatags and/or json-ld on this one.

I’ll write up a feature proposal.

Edit:

Looks like OneBox uses OpenGraph. Regardless, we’ll update it all along with Twitter Cards.

11 Likes

Making a very important contribution to say that I was the hundredth like on the OP. :heart:

So much exciting news coming out of WaniKani today!!

2 Likes

Jisho people are the best, they were so nice :sob:

4 Likes

Good call! I am all for it. Wanikani and Tofugu, you are the best!