WaniKani World Record! Level 60 in 344 Days!

The time has finally come. I have reached level 60, and in just 344 days.

Specifically, I did it in 8274 hours, where the best possible for me could have been 8270 hours, so this is 4 hours off of perfect. Though since I started, levels 1 and 2 have been changed so that they can be finished in 3 days 2 hours instead of 3 days 4 hours, giving an extra 8 hours possible to save. I assume that this change was from the 1 day times being changed to 23 hours to match the the rest of the levels.

Also, from the stats screen, it may look like it took me 6 hours from perfect, but two of them are ā€œfakeā€ (where the previous level finished near the beginning of the hour, and the next level near the end of the hour).

Details about the lost hours
  • Level 1 I lost an hour due to starting at like 12:50 pm PST

• Level 5 I completely spaced out on an hour and only remembered 20 minutes before I would lose a second hour. I had a research meeting over Skype, and I stealthily may have just pretended to follow along while silently using the reorder script in the background to learn the radicals just in the nick of time.

• Level 7 was a ā€œfakeā€ loss

• Level 10 was from me being drunk and not keeping track of time well

• Level 36 was from setting my alarm wrong and waking up an hour late.

• Level 46 was a ā€œfakeā€ loss

Accuracy radical: Overall: 99.9% (3707/3712) Apprentice 1: 99.4% (483/486) Apprentice 2: 99.8% (483/484) Apprentice 3: 99.8% (482/483) Apprentice 4: 100.0% (481/481) Guru 1: 100.0% (479/479) Guru 2: 100.0% (477/477) Master: 100.0% (462/462) Enlightened: 100.0% (360/360)

kanji:
Overall: 95.5% (14976/15680)
Apprentice 1: 98.8% (2026/2051)
Apprentice 2: 99.8% (2029/2033)
Apprentice 3: 99.7% (2133/2140)
Apprentice 4: 99.5% (2289/2300)
Guru 1: 95.9% (2295/2394)
Guru 2: 90.6% (1997/2203)
Master: 87.3% (1499/1717)
Enlightened: 84.1% (708/842)

vocabulary:
Overall: 89.6% (48543/54200)
Apprentice 1: 74.2% (6487/8741)
Apprentice 2: 96.1% (6400/6663)
Apprentice 3: 97.6% (7208/7383)
Apprentice 4: 97.3% (7728/7940)
Guru 1: 90.4% (7317/8092)
Guru 2: 88.2% (6313/7154)
Master: 87.9% (4840/5505)
Enlightened: 82.7% (2250/2722)

Overall accuracy: 91.350% (67226/73592)

More stats

Calendar:

Time spent on reviews:

WaniKani Time Machine:

How did you do this? Through adjusting my sleeping schedule for reviews. I would stay up as late as 1am to do reviews, and as late as 5am if I had a level up at 1am. For 2am onwards, I would try to wake up then to make it (if its a level up, slightly earlier to clear out reviews before hand).
Would you recommend others do this? Exactly 6 day 20 hour level ups? No. Messing with my sleeping schedule sucked, and the further I went along, the more I regretted doing it. But I kept going because I already started and wanted to finish WK in record time. Hopefully now people won't have that incentive anymore.

Then, at ā€œnear maximum speed?ā€ (7 days a level for normal levels, 3 days 12 hours for fast levels) Maybe. I would probably do the 7 days a level for the normal speed levels, but I think I would take the fast levels slower maybe.

What is your future on WaniKani? Well, I still need to finish do my level 60 lessons (as I leveled up just as I posted this), along with a bunch of level 59 vocabulary lessons I just unlocked. And of course, it will still be a couple of weeks before my workload starts decreasing a decent amount, and a 2-3 before it will be really nice and low. And then, probably a year for me to clear out my reviews entirely.

As for the forum, Iā€™ll probably hang around and post occasionally (maybe 1 or 2 big effort posts a year, to compete with INSERT NAME). But I probably wonā€™t be as active as I was in the 20s and 30s, which has already dropped off a good deal.

Can you summarize the previously bullet point? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Doo47z0zA&t=2m28s
So, now that you are level 60, do you always recognize the kanji? No. Conversely to what I feel like a lot of level 60ers say, it does feel like I encounter kanji not on WK very regularly. To take a random example of the first chapter of the first volume of Saki:
  • The front cover comic (the one under the manga sleeve) has ęŗ¢ in the word ęŗ¢ć‚Œć‚‹

• The table of contents has ēæ»å¼„, and 弄 isnā€™t covered by WK

• The term éŗ»é›€ itself has 雀, which isnā€™t covered by WK

• ē‰Œ is used a bunch in various Mahjong terms

• ꏃ appears in ꏃ恈悋

Of these, the only word with any of these that got furigana was éŗ»é›€.

People that have seen me post a bunch will know this example as its my go to thing, but it basically extends to everything. Just yesterday I saw ē¹­ for the first time in a song title, for example.

This isnā€™t to say that I donā€™t recognize most kanji that appear, or that looking the few I donā€™t is unbearable or whatever. But I think people oversell how much it gets you. I very much want to continue learning kanji as is. From what it feels like, somewhere between 2500-3500 will be the point where I feel like I donā€™t need to continue learning kanji anymore.

What now? For learning more kanji, in the immediate future I will be using the WaniKani Level 61 - 70 deck on kitsun.io that covers an additional 367 kanji, which will bring me to over 2400. From there, I'll assess where I feel I am and if I want to continue from there.

For vocabulary, kitsun also seems like a nice resource to add words as I encounter them, along with going through the words in the 10k that I donā€™t know.

For grammar, at this point I think most of it comes from learning more things in native material, and looking things up to figure things out. I still regularly encounter new grammatical things, but it is shrinking at least.

I need to practice listening to a variety of material, but that is in the future goal though, Iā€™m currently focusing on reading.

I also at some point need to get some real speaking practice to get better at it. Thatā€™s also a future goal though.

Shout outs I only have 10 tags to give out, and I don't feel like listing people I can't tag, so I will list exactly 10:
  • @RoseMuncher was fun to compete with in Tokyo Skytree. Also likes progressive rock, which is really the primary sign of how you tell a good person from a bad person.

• @Marifly For making the Tokyo Sky Tree thread, which was very encouraging to go through!

• @mmm333 made some fun Tokyo Sky Tree Leaderboard stats, which was fun!

• @jprspereira was very helpful and nice on kitsun, and also discovered that level 1 and level 2 are now only 3 days 2 hours to complete. I guess he also wrote a stupid smelly guide that no one cares about. :stuck_out_tongue:

• @FlamySerpent was the first level 60 post I saw, and definitely left an impression on me!

• @ejplugge for making Flaming Durtles, which is what I used exclusively for lessons starting somewhere in the 20s I think, and is what I used exclusively for reviews starting like level 11 or 12 I think.

• @Jonapedia for being the biggest effort poster on the entire forum! When they start typing, people shiver in preparation to be absolutely destroyed

• The three ancient sages of the forum, @Kumirei, @seanblue, and @Leebo are pretty much required to be shouted out by law, so I hope this is sufficient to appease them. Together they form the head and two pincers of the Crabigator. Without their support, the entire forum couldnā€™t exist, so I hope the WaniKani team takes the effort to appease them! Speaking of whichā€¦

Iā€™m out of tags, so Iā€™m kind of cheating here, but thank you to the entire WaniKani team! From Jennyā€™s positive demeaner in her weekly updates, Kanaeā€™s helpful Japanese Only posts, Vietā€™s general chill demeanor (and who Iā€™m convinced is lurking and following every post outside of POLL). And of course also of course every mod who has to wield a :fire_extinguisher: when threads catch fire.

Notably I didnā€™t thank Kouichi.

1. He is already emperor, so he doesnā€™t need it
  2. After having to brew 1000s of drinks for his big party, I donā€™t like him anymore.
  3. Iā€™m still not convinced that he isnā€™t just a sock puppet of the 3 fragments of the Crabigator.
Cake Yes, I got cake. Unfortunately, they sent me chocolate cake, so I returned it. The WK team said they will send me vanilla, but I have yet to receive it. :pouting_man:
173 Likes

Now that is an amazing feat to get through WK that fast! :eyes: Congrats! :partying_face: :tada:

Please have some cupcakes!

23 Likes

Amazing =O

4 Likes

Congratulations! Those consistent 6 days 20 hours/3 days 10 hours across all are so amazing!

8 Likes

Congratulations!!! As I slog through I am more than envious.

4 Likes

Wow! 恊悁恧恟恄 :tada: :partying_face:

Thatā€™s amazing! :sparkles: Didnā€™t think anyone would be able to pull it off :smirk:

Ah yeah, just a 1 or 2 hour single hour level up differenceā€¦

6 Likes

Exactly 1. Iā€™ve never had a 2 hour difference (though level 5 was a really close call to being 2 hours).

3 Likes

Haha wow, thatā€™s seriously dedicated. Impressive.
Huge congrats!! :cake:
May you be able to get back to a healthy sleep schedule now :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Congrats! I recall seeing you cruise up the levels. In fact just the other day I was wondering if you had hit level 60 yet. Perhaps I had subconsciously done the math. Extremely impressive dedication.

5 Likes

Itā€™s like when you blink, and @MegaZeroX will overlap you another 60 level :sweat_smile:

Congratulation @MegaZeroX å…ˆč¼©! :cake: :cupcake: :moon_cake: :pancakes:

5 Likes

Huge congrats!! :cake: :cake:
Like everyone else Iā€™m just insanely impressed by your dedication and persistence. Those graphs look so nicely patterned, almost like they were made by a machine. You sure you arenā€™t some sort of transhuman cyborg? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

BEEP BOOP. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THIS HUMAN REFERS TO. I, MYSELF, AM A HUMAN.

14 Likes

You made it!!!

2 Likes

Just going to say that amusingly, in Chinese, éŗ»é›€ just means ā€˜sparrowā€™. Now that thatā€™s out of the wayā€¦

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

:partying_face::birthday::partying_face:

Iā€™m impressed by your commitment, and your ā€˜time takenā€™ graph is so beautifully regular itā€™s insane. I donā€™t think I would have been able to do that if I had started kanji from scratch on WaniKani (and so, thank goodness I donā€™t have to :stuck_out_tongue:). Itā€™s also nice to see that your badge is finally golden. (When I first opened this post, I still saw a blue/purple 59.) I hope that the rest of your Japanese learning journey will be relatively smooth-sailing, and that you will not face too much difficulty tackling all the advanced grammar that is surely around the corner now that youā€™re equipped to read much more native material. May Japanese continue to be fulfilling for you! :grin:

6 Likes

btw first image in stats is borxed

1 Like

Ah good catch! Iā€™ll fix that now.

1 Like

Insane. Mad props to you !
Now we need a new category in https://www.speedrun.com/. :laughing:

11 Likes

Wow! Iā€™m in awe! Congratulations, and please have a big piece of cake for me!

1 Like

Are you Batman? :open_mouth: :thinking:

3 Likes

CONGRATULATIONS! :partying_face: :cake:

Thereā€™s no way I could compete with those statsā€¦ you are an absolute BEAST!

Do you feel like this right now?

4 Likes