Wanikani Override Userscript 1.1.2 ("Ignore Answer" Button) [No longer supported]

Hey! Would anyone know if/how you can mess around with the coding to make it so the ignore button doesn’t work past guru?

Sometimes I think I over-use this button and that in itself isn’t a big problem, but I wouldn’t want things I didn’t quite deserve to guru to get into master and beyond. I know that sometimes I’ll be like, wrong “Pft, I knew that,” ignore. I’d do this more so to get something to guru, but I don’t really trust myself past that, especially since it doesn’t explicitly tell you which SRS level the item is about to go to. Any ideas? 

よろしくお願いします。

HigginsHere said...
Sometimes I think I over-use this button and that in itself isn't a big problem, but I wouldn't want things I didn't quite deserve to guru to get into master and beyond. I know that sometimes I'll be like, *wrong* "Pft, I knew that," *ignore.* I'd do this more so to get something to guru, but I don't really trust myself past that, especially since it doesn't explicitly tell you which SRS level the item is about to go to. Any ideas?

Honestly, this sounds a lot like a self-inflicted problem. What's even the point of getting items to guru if it's not by learning them? Maybe don't use it as an eraser of mistakes and only use it for legitimate accidents -- like when your finger slips and hits enter in the middle of typing or when a cat jumps on the keyboard, things like that.
Starker said...
HigginsHere said...
Sometimes I think I over-use this button and that in itself isn't a big problem, but I wouldn't want things I didn't quite deserve to guru to get into master and beyond. I know that sometimes I'll be like, *wrong* "Pft, I knew that," *ignore.* I'd do this more so to get something to guru, but I don't really trust myself past that, especially since it doesn't explicitly tell you which SRS level the item is about to go to. Any ideas?

Honestly, this sounds a lot like a self-inflicted problem. What's even the point of getting items to guru if it's not by learning them? Maybe don't use it as an eraser of mistakes and only use it for legitimate accidents -- like when your finger slips and hits enter in the middle of typing or when a cat jumps on the keyboard, things like that.
 It's entirely self-inflicted, not sure where I gave the impression that it wasn't. Hence the "I think I over-use this button." On top of that, I said that I sometimes do--and it's usually only for vocab. I also tend to have some excuse that's at least partially valid (e.g., I'm tired, I knew that; I would have gotten that if I thought a little more--next time I will; etc,.) One big incentive to use it this way is to lower my apprentice count because I use it to gauge how many lessons to take. If I have 100-120 apprentice, I don't want to take any more lessons. It also lessens the short-term review burden. 

Anyway, what I'm looking for is more of a safety net for when I DO make those wrong calls, where I didn't actually know it and was cheating myself. When I think "crap, I knew that!" I usually do, I just was too quick or something. If this isn't possible to achieve or is too difficult, so be it. But it would make my life easier. If it's easy and possible, yay. 

What I was getting at was that if you need a safety net for your safety net, maybe the most prudent thing to do is to stop using the safety net in dangerous ways.

Of course you will know the difference after you have been corrected, but that doesn’t change the fact that you made a mistake in the first place. In real life, nobody will correct you if you say よっか instead of ようか, even if you actually would know the difference if you weren’t tired or if you thought a little more.

What’s more, reducing review counts for apprentice items so that you can add more lessons also means that you are
1) delaying reviews for items that you don’t really know all that well when you should be reviewing them more often
2) adding new items into the mix when there are still things that you haven’t learned all that well

Of course, the way you learn is entirely up to you, but just think about whether it won’t create more problems in the long run.

Starker said... What I was getting at was that if you need a safety net for your safety net, maybe the most prudent thing to do is to stop using the safety net in dangerous ways.

Of course you will know the difference after you have been corrected, but that doesn't change the fact that you made a mistake in the first place. In real life, nobody will correct you if you say よっか instead of ようか, even if you actually would know the difference if you weren't tired or if you thought a little more.

What's more, reducing review counts for apprentice items so that you can add more lessons also means that you are
1) delaying reviews for items that you don't really know all that well when you should be reviewing them more often
2) adding new items into the mix when there are still things that you haven't learned all that well

Of course, the way you learn is entirely up to you, but just think about whether it won't create more problems in the long run.

While I see your point, WK is more for recognition than for recall. Most things I learn here won't be absorbed into my active vocabulary unless I make a concerted effort, like using KaniWani or using it on my own. So when I'm reading and I see 四日 I will have time to think about whether it's ようか or indeed よっか. 

Moreover, "Guru" is already an SRS level where you cannot say you "know" those guru'd items all that well. Letting a vocab occasionally slip in that I don't know as well as the others is going to have a very small impact. Most of the time I have noticed that I get those into master fine without cheating, which is ultimately the purpose. Again, what I'm looking for is a safety net for those that fall outside of "most of the time." Plus, I don't think I have the self-control to limit myself to using it only for sincere mistakes. It's very frustrating to get something wrong that I definitely knew but wasn't paying enough attention towards. Sure, that's my own problem, but it's frustrating nonetheless. I'd rather have the button than not have it. 

BTW, can it ignore a correct answer? I want type in the answer again.

patarapolw said... BTW, can it ignore a correct answer? I want type in the answer again.
 There are other scripts for that:

"Double-Check allows you to mark correct answers as incorrect (eg, wanikani accepted it because it was close enough, but you're actually wrong), or incorrect answers as correct (eg, in case of a misspelling/typo)."

or

"Close but no cigar
Instead of accepting close answers, you need to spell things correctly. It doesn't mark them wrong outright, but rather tells you you spelled it wrong and allows you to fix your mistake."
rfindley said...
patarapolw said... BTW, can it ignore a correct answer? I want type in the answer again.

"Double-Check allows you to mark correct answers as incorrect (eg, wanikani accepted it because it was close enough, but you're actually wrong), or incorrect answers as correct (eg, in case of a misspelling/typo)."

or

"Close but no cigar
Instead of accepting close answers, you need to spell things correctly. It doesn't mark them wrong outright, but rather tells you you spelled it wrong and allows you to fix your mistake."
 I used the "Double Check," but it doesn't allow to re-input the answer. I have to decide whether the answer is right or wrong

Also, "Double Check" script is more visually appealing than "Override."

Anyway, thanks for the answer.
patarapolw said...
rfindley said...

or

"Close but no cigar
 I used the "Double Check," but it doesn't allow to re-input the answer. I have to decide whether the answer is right or wrong

Also, "Double Check" script is more visually appealing than "Override."

Anyway, thanks for the answer.
 Why would you want to re-input an already correct answer?

Hey, users of this script: where did you get a working version?  I tried installing from here, and it doesn’t work. 

duggulous said... Hey, users of this script: where did you get a working version?  I tried installing from here, and it doesn't work. 
 What browser did you use? What extension do you use to install the user script? What is your OS?
duggulous said... Hey, users of this script: where did you get a working version?  I tried installing from here, and it doesn't work. 
 version 1.1.3 is a working version, but the OP only supported it up until 1.1.2. Going back two pages on this thread, you find:
 - https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/9867-wanikani-override
 - /t/WK-Override-fixed-for-Greasemonkey/7428/1
 - https://gist.github.com/Beanow/9ea55a4d73d6156f01c9  (click 'Raw' text to the file title, on the right side of the screen)

I'm not going to test out which one is the right one (they probably both are) because I don't want to lose my working version.

Mempo said...   version 1.1.3 is a working version, but the OP only supported it up until 1.1.2. Going back two pages on this thread, you find:
 - https://gist.github.com/Beanow/9ea55a4d73d6156f01c9  (click 'Raw' text to the file title, on the right side of the screen)

I'm not going to test out which one is the right one (they probably both are) because I don't want to lose my working version.
 The greasyfork one with 9867 in the URL should work.  That's what I used as a starting point when I wrote my own custom script.
Mempo said.I'm not going to test out which one is the right one (they probably both are) because I don't want to lose my working version.
 Haha, fair enough.  Thanks for the links!

rfindley said...The greasyfork one with 9867 in the URL should work.  That's what I used as a starting point when I wrote my own custom script.
 much obliged!
rfindley said...
Mempo said...   version 1.1.3 is a working version, but the OP only supported it up until 1.1.2. Going back two pages on this thread, you find:

The greasyfork one with 9867 in the URL should work.  That's what I used as a starting point when I wrote my own custom script.
 Thanks! that worked!

Thank you very much for providing this script.

I installed the 9867 version and confirm it works on Safari browser.

The first time I ran the script, I typed hiragana characters without realising that my keyboard was not set to romaji.  The “ignore” button allowed me to do it again.

This script seems to have been broken by a recent Tampermonkey update.  I understand the author is no longer supporting it, anyone else have an ignore script I can use?  Not having an ignore button anymore is killing me. 

BasiltheBatLord said... This script seems to have been broken by a recent Tampermonkey update.  I understand the author is no longer supporting it, anyone else have an ignore script I can use?  Not having an ignore button anymore is killing me. 
 I just tested it with the latest Tampermonkey version and everything is fine.

I'm pretty sure you have the wrong version of the script installed. Even though I only posted it a few comments up, here is a working version of the script: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/9867-wanikani-override

Apparently there already was a shortcut in the script, but it wasn’t working any more, so I changed it to the ESC key.

Re-uploaded here: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/23696-wanikani-override

@ShotgunLagoon: if you see this, maybe change your version too. More than a thousand people are already using your one ;p

Mempo said... Apparently there already was a shortcut in the script, but it wasn't working any more, so I changed it to the ESC key.

Re-uploaded here: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/23696-wanikani-override

@ShotgunLagoon: if you see this, maybe change your version too. More than a thousand people are already using your one ;p
Hmm... I dusted off an old copy a couple days ago after @BasiltheBatLord's post, tried it on my test account, and the '~' key worked fine.  I was gonna post about it, but then saw your response.

But then again, I probably rewrote a lot of the code in my copy.  I was doing a lot of experimental stuff in my early levels.

[EDIT:  "experimental stuff"  <--- coding ^_^ ]