Wanikani Helper (chrome extension)

Wanikani extension for chrome, as the title says. Check out the youtube video (no sound) to check out some of the major things. It’s not quite finished yet. The popup and options are going to be more fleshed out soon.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wanikani-augmenter/bgkihgldanfijnafmjjilfmieibffkag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwMFW4LFfbo

Nice, would love to conveniently consolidate several extensions. Trying it out now. Looking forward to lesson reordering.

One thing though: The color code for the review chart uses the same colors for “current” and “all”.

Yeah, I wasn’t sure if I should make them different colors or not. So I just decided to add shadows to the current items. I thought that was enough of a visual cue for the difference of the items. If it’s too confusing I might change it up a bit.

Eh, it was just the key threw me off since it didn’t represent the border and shadow and looked identical. Actually just the white border is fine, shadow isn’t even really needed, can get distracting especially when timeline scale is set to a long-view.  btw 12 and 24hr option would be nice.  

Great job on the extension. Any plans for an auto-advance option on correct review items? 

O,  and I noticed the heads-up always has the dashboard button border on highlight. 

Yeah, I thought about the key also. And I wasn’t sure about the shadow, but it was the subtlest way I could find with the software I used. I thought about using different colors for everything, but when I tried it seemed really chaotic. I might add some kind of customization options for the colors though.

As for the timing, you can find a slider on the options page. I personally like 24 hours, but I think some people might be used to other extensions showing longer time frames.

And, your’re right about the highlight thing. I think it is unique to OSX, though. My windows machine doesn’t do the highlight thing. I haven’t really looked into how to fix that so far. But I will be trying to get that sorted out.

Of course, thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming if you find anything else!

Looks nice so far, great job! A few questsions:

* what’s the difference between “Current vocabulary” and “All vocabulary”? I’m guessing “Current” is for current level, “All” for everything else?
 * is there a way to switch the graph to show how many items will be leveled up at each review? I think it’d be nice to see that I’ll have a chance to burn items on a specific review.  Knowing that, I can postpone the review, for example until I’m sure I’ll not be disturbed and can fully concentrate.

On your first point, yes. “Current” just means “current level.” I did it so I would know when I have to study to keep my level up time to a minimum.

On your second point, now that you mention that, I was thinking of having some kind of “burnable items available” indicator on the graph, just like the current indicator. I completely forgot about it, but it is now on my to do list. I don’t know if it will be possible to separate every level, but I’ll have a look at it!

Any plans for a firefox version?

I initially planned to put it on firefox first, but after some fiddling around, and initial frustrations, I gave up and moved to Chrome.

Now that it is basically fleshed out for chrome, I’ll probably take another look at firefox. It took about a month of time here and there to get the chrome version to where I wanted it. It might not take as long since I know what I want done, but I can’t make any guarantees!

dv8sheepn said... Eh, it was just the key threw me off since it didn't represent the border and shadow and looked identical. Actually just the white border is fine, shadow isn't even really needed, can get distracting especially when timeline scale is set to a long-view.  btw 12 and 24hr option would be nice.  

Great job on the extension. Any plans for an auto-advance option on correct review items? 

O,  and I noticed the heads-up always has the dashboard button border on highlight. 

I forgot to answer your question about the auto advance. That doesn't seem like a tough option. I've put it on the todo list.
maneKozaru said... I initially planned to put it on firefox first, but after some fiddling around, and initial frustrations, I gave up and moved to Chrome.

Now that it is basically fleshed out for chrome, I'll probably take another look at firefox. It took about a month of time here and there to get the chrome version to where I wanted it. It might not take as long since I know what I want done, but I can't make any guarantees!
Cool!

がんばって!

Does anyone know if this conflicts with WaniKaniCustomizer? Just started playing around with API stuff and both seem to be very useful, I have done a few reviews and can’t see anything conflicts? Aside from having two upcoming review charts on the main page, but that’s kinda nice!

b7ad said... Does anyone know if this conflicts with WaniKaniCustomizer? Just started playing around with API stuff and both seem to be very useful, I have done a few reviews and can't see anything conflicts? Aside from having two upcoming review charts on the main page, but that's kinda nice!
 The most likely place you'll see conflicts is in the reviews page. The other parts are almost completely self contained, so they should be alright. The reviews page requires some javascript trickery, so you might see some problems there. I haven't tested though, so you might not experience any problems with both of them together.
maneKozaru said...
b7ad said... Does anyone know if this conflicts with WaniKaniCustomizer? Just started playing around with API stuff and both seem to be very useful, I have done a few reviews and can't see anything conflicts? Aside from having two upcoming review charts on the main page, but that's kinda nice!
 The most likely place you'll see conflicts is in the reviews page. The other parts are almost completely self contained, so they should be alright. The reviews page requires some javascript trickery, so you might see some problems there. I haven't tested though, so you might not experience any problems with both of them together.
 Thanks a lot for getting back to me! Also thanks for making the extension of course, it seems awesome!

I have done a few reviews with both extensions running and didn't notice anything weird. The only thing I can see that 'conflicts' with your api is the fact that it also reorders stuff. If I do notice a conflict I'll stick with your API for sure, so many things I'm loving already! I'm only really using WKC because it specifies on and kun readings. I'm assuming it does something very similar in terms of sorting that your api does. The 'lightning mode' on WKC is interesting but don't know if I'd use it. Anyway, thanks again

FYI,
Tried to load on a chromebook and it failed to load due to:

Package is invalid. Details: ‘could not load icon: ‘Images/logoSite.png’ for browser action’.’  (I copied that by hand, so …)

Oh, I meant 12 and 24hr mode for the chart as in 8:00pm or 20:00. 

Found a bug where if you get an answer wrong and next time use the “correct mistake” function for a typo, it counts as never having made the original legit mistake.

Also, after finishing a round of reviews and getting sent back to dashboard, the dash data (chart and real-number review total) has not always been refreshed. This is after the server has refreshed since the review total will show 0 briefly before the extension changes it. After clicking “Update Data” on the chart, it refreshes everything.

Jtg9 said... FYI,
Tried to load on a chromebook and it failed to load due to:

Package is invalid. Details: 'could not load icon: 'Images/logoSite.png' for browser action'.'  (I copied that by hand, so ...)

That is crazy. I can't believe it was working with such a massive discrepancy. The file name should have been "LogoSite.png" but it has been fixed and uploaded as it was a pretty serious bug.

dv8sheepn said... Oh, I meant 12 and 24hr mode for the chart as in 8:00pm or 20:00. 

Found a bug where if you get an answer wrong and next time use the "correct mistake" function for a typo, it counts as never having made the original legit mistake.

Also, after finishing a round of reviews and getting sent back to dashboard, the dash data (chart and real-number review total) has not always been refreshed. This is after the server has refreshed since the review total will show 0 briefly before the extension changes it. After clicking "Update Data" on the chart, it refreshes everything.
Oh, of course, the time format should be pretty pliable. I'll have a look into that and see what I can do.

I see what you mean about the mistake deletion. I'll have to limit the erasure and possibly add an option for deleting past mistakes. That gave me some more ideas for how to handle mistakes.

And I'm in the process of fixing the after review / after lesson number discrepancies. I realize that would be confusing, and it only makes sense to force an update after those situations.

sorry, dumb question, how do you change the settings of the extension (i.e. to turn on/off the different features)?

paperbagchild said... sorry, dumb question, how do you change the settings of the extension (i.e. to turn on/off the different features)?
 The easiest way is to right click the toolbar button. You can also open tools > extensions and find the options link for any extension. 
Aikibujin said... Any plans for a firefox version?
 I did a bit more research with the firefox SDK, and I have to say, it is in a sad state! I remembered why I gave up on it last time. Developing a chrome extension is as simple as putting together some js, css, and html. Firefox requires python, a special command to "compile" your extension every time you want to try it in the browser, and I wasn't even able to get it working on windows. Searching for the errors I got turned up no results, so I can see why there haven't been any wanikani extensions in the firefox store. I would like to develop one for firefox, but I'm not technically up to the task! I'm sorry.