Wanikani accepts a wrong answer

Hello community!

I just found out, that I have been giving the wrong answer to a vocabulary for the last days and weeks. But Wanikani always accepts it, because “your spelling was a bit off”.

The vocabulary in question is this 立てる Tateru. For whatever reason, I thought this meant “to correct” but it doesn’t. It means to erect something, to stand something up.

But here’s the issue. Because “correct” is similarily spelled as “erect” Wanikani just thinks I misspelled, and accepts it as the correct answer.

I’ve been learning the wrong meaning for a vocabulary the whole time, and now I’m looking for a way to prevent this from happening again. Is there any way? Can I tell Wanikani to not accept something as correct or anything?

Cheers!

1 Like

One trick is to e-mail hello@wanikani.com and suggest they add it to the block list, words that are always marked wrong no matter how close they are.

7 Likes

BTW, the correct spelling is “erect”

4 Likes

Alright, I’ll do that thanks.

Tagging the mods in this thread also usually works.

3 Likes

Sorry, I have no idea how to do that. I’m just a lowley lvl 3 scrub. I just emailed them like someone else told me to.

3 Likes

This is good enough. They check their emails.

If you don’t know how to tag the mods this is usually not a problem. If you post the wrong answer in the worst typo thread someone else will tag the mods for you.

2 Likes

I actually messed up that Kanji as well! I incorrectly learned that 立 meant “sand” and thought that 立つ meant “to sand”. WaniKani consistently accepted the error as a typo. To their credit, their message recommends checking the meaning to ensure correctness. If I had done that, I wouldn’t have continued to make the error, so it was my fault for glossing over the message.

It was actually when I reached 立てる that I finally realized my mistake.

1 Like

You could also try a script like WK But No Cigar which prevents an incorrectly spelled answer from being automatically accepted as “close enough.” It doesn’t mark them wrong, but it also doesn’t accept the answer, so that kind of confusion isn’t possible!

(In case you aren’t familiar with userscripts: Visual Guide on How To Install A Userscript)

4 Likes

I’m sorry but that genuinely made me laugh out loud. Cue complaints that WK doesn’t teach useful vocabulary from the get-go. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

To use sandpaper or a similar tool to smooth out the surface of wood or similar material.

3 Likes

Also, in the days of steam trains, it meant to put sand on the rails ahead of the train’s drive wheels to increase traction.

2 Likes

Actually even modern electric and diesel trains also use sand to increase traction in slippery conditions.

3 Likes

unnamed (3)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.