Using って Istead of で With nouns

In The sentence below Is The って The te form of iru? And if it’s not? Why is って Being used instead of で With a noun?

The translation from Taekim IS ’Like, baths feel really good, huh?’

But shouldn’t it Be ’Like, Bathing feel really good, huh?’
If that is an iru In there?

なんかね。お風呂って超気持ちいいよね!

Thanks

This って is an informal way to say “as for ”. In that way, it’s similar to は. It’s not related to a verb.

4 Likes

is it the abbreviation of と? as in quoting ones own train of thought?

なんかね。お風呂と超気持ちいいよね!
as to say, ‘I think’ that baths are good.

That might be an etymological connection, I’m not sure. If you look at the って page, you’ll see that って can be short for many things, and many of them include と, but in this case I think it’s best to see it as just directly replacing は in very casual speech.

1 Like

Ahh Thank you! I understand what you mean now. :slight_smile:

Yeah, just wanted to clarify that using と on its own like that wouldn’t be right.

って is basically a magical contraction. I think of this version as being short for ということは.

3 Likes

I appreciate that! I have come across the usage of って Of replacing は Before But there are so Many Things that ってCan Be used for, I over looked that. I have taken note and will look out for it more as that usage. :+1:

Wouldn’t It have to be written like this なんかね。お風呂って超気持ちいいのことよね! If that was An Abbreviated ということは?

I always assumed that colloquial 「って」 came from 「とは」or「ということは」, which are full, formal ways of indicating “Hey, I’m speaking about the concept of ____, rather than literally that ____ over there.” The usage matches, as far as I know, and it lines up with 「って」 also being short for the 「と」 particle when quoting.

And if that’s the case, most of those seemingly different 「って」replacements are actually the same 「って」replacement.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.