Upper beginner grammar club (Genki II/Genki 2 and friends)

Thanks, I updated the description!

Hello! I’m excited to get started.
Just want to add that anyone can join and jump in at any time!

2 Likes

Thanks for organizing! This comes at just the right time for me. Question: When you say front half/back half of main book/workbook, where do you mean (trying to figure out where I should study to)?

Also, noting here as a resource the Genki grammar explanation videos by Tokini Andy (e.g. for Chapter 13 【N4】CAN in Japanese - The Potential Form | Genki II Lesson 13 Grammar Made Clear 【Chat Removed】 - YouTube)

5 Likes

The front half means the ‘Conversation and Grammar’ section in the main textbook(but not the workbook) for the chapter (eg. Chapter 13).
The back half is the ‘Reading and Writing’ section in the main textbook(but not the workbook) for the same chapter (so, chapter 13).
It’s just because they put all of the conversation and grammar at the front of the book before all of the reading/writing sections.

And thanks for the link! I’d heard he did good videos, but I hadn’t tried any yet. I think I’ll use them from now on!

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll put that in the resources section for this page and Ch 13

Wow, the people in the big Genki discord are so much nicer than the ones in my private server. :skull::upside_down_face:

I feel like I’m 100 years old, I joined the discord with the qr code but it says I’m not authorised to post anywhere, even in introductions? Am I doing something wrong

1 Like

You have to go to #reaction-roles and pick your levels, interests, etcetera, before you can message. I’m gam3rpaint3r on that server. You’ll see me lurk in #japanese-only-chat.

You have to go to #reaction-roles and pick your levels, interests, etcetera, before you can message.

I’m gam3rpaint3r on that server. You’ll see me in #japanese-only-chat with a cat icon.

1 Like

You also have to check the big green check mark in the reaction roles as well, that stumped me a little!

1 Like

Week 2 is now live - everyone is welcome whether you participated in the first week or not.

You may notice, I have sneakily included more Japanese in this week’s post. Every week I will replace English text in these posts with Japanese text so that we get used to more and more Japanese exposure! Everyone has much different kanji knowledge, so I’ll err on the side of using furigana, but will leave it off for kanji I’m pretty sure you’ll know by this point, but let me know how you feel about that.

2 Likes

I’m hoping we can get new people to join and jump in! Let’s practice Japanese everyone!

I’m actually already on Lesson 20 in Genki 2! But I’m using this club as a way to practice and reinforce what I already studied.

Thanks! I’m so glad to hear they’re helpful for you, because I’m trying to format each week so it’s helpful for anyone beyond the absolute beginner stage to jump in to learn something new or practice and reinforce what they know.

I’ll put out the third one today. Then I have a few weeks where I have a holiday. Would anyone like to continue making them in my absence? (if you put a link here to that week’s thread, I’ll check now and then to add it to the main list here, I didn’t see an option to make it a wiki). Or, people can use the time to consolidate progress in Ch 13 and we continue when I’m back?

I noticed that most people work on the posts during the weekend. What do you think about making each week’s new post on a Wednesday or Thursday instead of Sunday/Monday?

1 Like

hi all! We got some great engagement on the Workbook thread. Keep it up!!!
Week 3 is up here:

Let me know how this format is working out!

Would you like a different thread each week or one thread per chapter?
  • One thread each week so that the section of the workbook/main book is clear.
  • I want just one thread per chapter
  • I don’t care!
0 voters

I’m going on holiday/vacation for a bit, so if you’re keen, please continue to make the next threads in my absence (or if I have time I’ll try). Otherwise, week 4 will be up around May 18/19th. See you then!!

I will be busy during the holiday, so I’m fine using it as a catch up week and resuming the normal schedule after

2 Likes

I’m fine with having a few weeks off too. Next week will be particularly busy for me. I’ll still try to follow along if somebody continues though.

I noticed the same thing. Personally, I’m still trying to figure out when this fits into my schedule, but I certainly have more free time on the weekends.

New posts anytime in the latter half of the week would work better for me than posts on Sunday/Monday since when I have time on the weekend it’s not toward the end of the “grammar club week”. I’d like to hear more opinions before changing anything.

2 Likes

As I’m a little behind anyways I don’t mind the extra time.

That would be fine with me. Whatever works best for everyone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t mind having the new post on Monday/Tuesday that way I have the week to think about it and the post on the weekend!

1 Like

I’d be willing to try and follow with the group. I’ve been looking to study with a small group and I’m about here in Genki II. So why not? Maybe it’ll give me a bit of motivation.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.