Ch 13 Workbook/Listening week (Genki 2 and friends grammar club)

ようこそ!

This is a club where we work through Genki 2 (various editions) together. You don’t have to have Genki 2 to join in the fun, though! Anyone who would like to practice upper beginner grammar is welcome to join anytime. いっしょうに日本語が上手になります。

今週のテーマ

We’re working on Chapter 13 (see grammar points thread). Continue to add to that thread as you work through the exercises in the front half of the main book. This week, get started on Ch 13 in the workbook (front half). Put extra effort into listening practice this week.

Start date: 18 April 2022

先週: Ch 13 Grammar week (Genki 2 and friends grammar club - Week 1)

来週: Ch 13 Reading week

Home thread: https://community.wanikani.com/t/upper-beginner-grammar-club-genki-iigenki-2-and-friends

Listening

今週(こんしゅう)()練習(れんしゅう)しましょうね。Whether or not you have Genki, you can download the Japan Times OTO Navi app, search for Genki, and download the listening exercises for the main book and workbook.

The last listening exercises in the workbook are normally the most challenging, so don’t be discouraged if they are too difficult! Spend more time on the listening examples from the main book exercises, listen multiple times, and ask about what you don’t understand (I have the Ed 2 answer key which has transcripts).

Other exercises

The workbook also has several open-ended questions. いっしょうに()きましょうね。Write your answers here and/or respond to someone else’s writing.

Discussion

This week’s practice prompt is to practice listening:

In addition to Genki’s listening exercises, here are some podcasts at our level that I found (with transcripts!) along the theme that we have this week (although, it’s not really well aligned with the grammar). Please post additional links in the comments!

Also,

• Ask questions about the grammar points and compare them to similar points.

• Write additional practice sentences and contribute to Q/A on the exercises in the workbook.

• Define your starting point - where are you now with your Japanese listening skills? How would you most like that to improve in the next year?

Join in the discussion to share your experience, cute meme, and encouragement :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for your hard work!

The workbook has some good prompts that we can add here. I’ll add them below.

• Write two things you can and can’t do (4 total)

• Write two things you could and coundn’t do when you were a child (4 total)

• Write three places you have never been to and things you want to try there using ~てみたい

• Write how often/long you do certain activities (brush your teeth, sleep, cut your hair, exercise, etc)

These are more open ended. If anyone wants, I can include some specific questions from the workbook (usually in Japanese)

2 Likes

These are great, thank you for looking them up :heart_eyes: I ran out of time yesterday

Mean while…

:frog:

have a great day!

1 Like

何ができますか。
5キロが走れます。:running_woman: チェロが ()けます。 :notes:

できないことが何ですか。
飛行機(ひこうき)()べないです。 :airplane: 上手に(えが)けないです。:art:

子どもの時に何ができましたか。
牛乳(ぎゅうにゅう)が飲めました。 :milk_glass: 友達(ともだち)(あそ)べました。 :teddy_bear:

子どもの時にできないことが何でしたか。
日本語ができなかったです。 :japanese_goblin: 一人で旅行ができなかったです。 :ghost:

ほかの日本語の勉強する人、よろしくおねがいします! :cherry_blossom: :cherry_blossom: :cherry_blossom:

Edit: now improved with cute emoji :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

すごい!5(ねん)(まえ)に5キロが(はし)れましたけど(いま)。。。時々10(ぶん)(はし)ってみる。

Am I right to have に after 「5(ねん)(まえ)」 but not after 「時々」?

It still feels weird to me that potential verbs can use either が or を. My understanding is also that に can be used to mark the person that can do the action (although は is usually used). I guess because of this there is never a reason to use both が and を at the same time, so it’s never too ambiguous?

(わたし)はジャッグルできる。岩登(いわのぼ)りをできる。(すこ)日本語(にほんご)()ける。

日本語(にほんご)()けません。(から)()(もの)をあまりたべられません。

I’m not always sure what’s been covered in Genki volume 1, and also I have to look up words to say what I want to say. Let me know if this is helpful:

• ジャッグル - Juggling
  • 岩登(いわのぼ)り - Rock climbing
  • あまり - あまり。。。ない = hardly / not really

がんばって!the important thing is to have fun :slight_smile: (with running and Japanese practice, lol)

that’s my understanding! Somewhere I read that as a general rule, you have to use に for time phrases you can count (like days of the week, dates and times), but it’s optional for nonquantified ones (like morning, evening). That has helped me a lot. I don’t think I’ve ever seen に used after 時々.

yeah, me too. I wrote my sentences originally with を and then changed them just to practice that… this isn’t something I’m really confident about.

:+1: :+1: loving your sentences. 私も 岩登いわのぼりが好きです。

I really like this, I’ll do this as well. It made your post really nice and easy to read and comment on. I didn’t know the top two words!

1 Like

こんにちは!きんちょうするですよ~

何ができますか。
アニメションを作れます。

できないことが何ですか。
まだ、中東料理が食べられません。

子どもの時に何ができましたか。
毎日にSIMS-2ができした。よかった。

子どもの時にできないことが何でしたか。
やさいが食べらませんでした。

Please feel free to correct me, I haven’t really posted online in Japanese before :sweat_smile:

Edit: Change to potential form lol how did I forget that?

3 Likes

Hey :slight_smile: You might wanna look into how to built the potential form once more. It is this weeks grammar topic! Maybe check out the grammar thread: Ch 13 Grammar week (Genki 2 and friends grammar club - Week 1) You did not use the form at all in your answers (so you said “I eat xy” but were supposed to say “I can eat xy”).

There’s some other things, but I’d probably check that out first :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh my god, I just realised I wrote all of them without the ~れます
Thanks for pointing that out!

:upside_down_face: :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

意はいいですよ! X)

何ができますか。
5キロが泳げます。 :swimming_woman:
いくつか漢字を読めます。 :books:

できないことが何ですか。
全然 走れません。 :dizzy_face:
日本語を あまり 話せません。でも 少し日本語が話せみたいです。

子どもの時に何ができましたか。
子供の時 乗馬できました。 :horse_racing:

子どもの時にできないことが何でしたか。
子供の時 車を運転できなかった。 :oncoming_automobile:
車を運転するのが一歩一歩学びました。
長い間後 運転をできる ように なりました。
今 運転をすることが 上手です。:slight_smile:

どうぞ!

4 Likes

I’d probably go for きんちょうしています (progressive form)

Not entirely sure overall. but I think 毎日 is used without に, できした => できました. But I’m not entirely sure how well the whole sentence works out together :thinking: (as in, I’m not sure if you’d use potential form in Japanese for expressing “I could play everyday!” in the sense of “I had the opportunity/time to play everyday” or if it’s mostly used for “I had the ability to do stuff” - someone else has to answer that :smiley: might actually be 100% fine)
I’d also probably use たのしかったです instead of よかった but that’s just gut feeling (oopsie :sheep:)

食べらません => 食べられません (you got that right in the other one :D)

@Sophiesix
Only thing I spottet was

日本語が話せみたい => 日本語してみたい

But I’m just a sheep learning myself :sheep:

1 Like

Thanks sumsum! I was wondering though, doesn’t 少し 日本語 を話 してみたい mean something like “I want to speak a little Japanese”? I was hoping to say “I want to be able to speak a little Japanese”, In that, I don’t particularly like talking, but I’d like to have the ability to speak a little? Or is that covered by te-mitai form as well? :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I don’t think you would use みたい for that, that’s more for trying something (maybe even for the first time) is my feeling. I’d probably use the same construct you used here with the driving:

So something like 日本語が少し話せるようになりたいです。

ありがとうございました!

1 Like

Thanks, I really appreciate it - best way to learn is using it!

1 Like

Here are my answer!

納豆を食べられます。おいしいだよ!でも、しそを食べられません。
たくさん漢字を読めます!でも、漢字を書けません。 :sweat_smile:

子供の時、自転車がのれました。でも、スケートやローラーブレードができませんでした。
子供の時、はやく読めました。でも、運動しませんでした。 :sweat_smile:
子供の時、日本語が話せませんでした。今、ちょっと話せます。

ケニアに行ってみたいです。そこでチーターが見てみたいです。(ハグしてみたい :sweat_smile:
韓国に行ってみたいです。そこで料理を食べてみたいです。
ドイツに行ってみたいです。大きい城を見てみたいです。

一日に7時間ぐらいねます。
1年に3回ぐらいかぜをひきます。
1ヵ月に1回髪を染めます。
2ヵ月に1回髪を切ります。

納豆 natto
castle
染めます to dye

did you mean the plant? Shiso - Wikipedia (I never really heard about it before but the article says it’s popular in Japanese cuisine :thinking: )

I think you don’t really use い-Adjectives with だ, so it’s probably just おいしいよ!

ええ?!チーターと?(あぶ)ないよ!

Yes! I can’t eat it. It taste soapy to me (which is how some people think cilantro/coriander taste. I like cilantro though :rofl:)

You’re probably right. I think I was thinking of the shortened form of おいしいですよ and turned です into だ without really thinking about it

でも、かわいいよ。。。:pleading_face:

It’s a joke with my friends because I really like hugs, especially hugging (or cuddling with) animals. The Genki 2 textbook has a section in chapter 13 asking what you want to do in 5 different countries +your own country you want to visit and I chose and animal to hug for each one lol

1 Like

Okay so you need to put a ん before だよ for i-
adjectives

1 Like

ピザが作れます。美味しいですよ。
ヨガもできますが、あまり上手じゃないと思います。

外国語があまり話せません。英語なら話せますが、スペイン語やフランス語やイタリア語は話せません。
10キロが走れません。早く疲れますから。

子供の時、ピアノが引けました。8年間ピアノのレッスンがしていました。
よくテレビが見られました。楽しいでした。

子供の時、一人で旅行できませんでした。でも、たいてい家族と旅行しました。
辛い物が食べられませんでした。今、大人だし、辛い物が好きですよ。