Translation Help??

So I train in Karate and some of us at the dojo have been trying to figure out what exactly is written on our style patch. With my limited education in Japanese, I have been able to figure out the kanji but the squiggly line at the top of the tree has us all stumped. It’s supposed to represent Unity and my 先生 says it’s rotated but I still can’t find anything close when looking under Unity in several places. Could this just be someone’s artistic interpretation of a kanji that may represent Unity?

ありがとうございます

1 Like

Did you see a three year old with a piece of chalk by chance?

7 Likes

Is this teacher actually Japanese or fluent in Japanese? This reeks of the gaijin who gets a kanji tattoo that is either pure gibberish or means nothing close to what they are told it means.

If your 先生 knows Japanese, he would probably know what it is.
If he doesn’t, and just heard someone say it represented unity, sometimes they just have the wrong word.

The house of my friend’s grandma has a bunch of framed kanji that don’t exactly mean what they have written below them.

2 Likes

I mean, it’s possible someone copied something they saw from oracle bone script. But I wouldn’t call oracle bone script kanji. Or Japanese.

6 Likes

With a lot of imagination, it looks like the 致 in 一致 if you rotate the image to the right. (And that word can mean unity)
That’s all I can think of at the moment…

1 Like

What are the black character-looking things on the left and right? Zoom out.

1 Like

I see :baguette_bread: :snake: rotated to the right.

1 Like

The style patch was originally designed by our style creator who was American but did train in Okinawa for several years. It’s been a good 60 years since then so the meaning behind the symbol may have been passed down incorrectly through time.

I have seen this a lot at other dojos to be honest. It’s probably left up to the interpretation of the creator at the time they were made.

Interesting… we were thinking along the same lines that is was a symbol they saw somewhere and decided they wanted to use it.

Ah… will look into that… Thanks!

We understand the rest, it was just the thing at the top that was confusing. The center image is a fist which was supposed to represent the style at the bottom: Shorei-joju-ryu but we know that doesn’t translate well.

Thank you all for your insight…

1 Like

I don’t think your teacher is lying per se, Okinawan is a different language than Japanese.

And the Goju-ryu style does come from Okinawa.

1 Like

Well, not if you ask Japanese people.

But either way… I don’t see how the squiggles would tie in.

3 Likes

There’s only one squiggle - the other one is a fist.

It’s almost familiar, though. It does kinda make me think of Egyptian heiroglyphics more than it does kanji, mind.

2 Likes

A language is a dialect with an army and a navy, right?

4 Likes

And a flag.

4 Likes

Flags are cool.

3 Likes

3 Likes

It’s probably some buddhist something or other written in sanskrit.

1 Like

Ohh, I think you might be on to something there. Could be इ. Or ड.

Sanskrit.

Those are just individual letters, though. Not sure what meaning they might imply.

2 Likes

That’s the closest I have seen! thank you!!!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.