(The increasingly less) Daily senryu thread

Haha! Confirmation of sorts.

Look what emoticon Line suggested for the word “sales” in my reply to my daughter:

1 Like

New clickbait title suggestion:

We decipher Senryu that even Japanese people don’t know.

:joy:

2 Likes

I think Line was originally a Korean company, but I may have to add emoticon search to my ever growing list of translation tools!

The technical purist in me can’t help but point out that that was a line chart, though, not a bar chart. Still, I’m convinced that @Arzar33 got it right. I may add the word “graph” to the end of their translation. I’d add the emoticon if I could figure out how to add it to a spreadsheet cell!

My wife sends this as a somewhat old fashioned example of “sales performance”:

Also, I’d translated しみじみ編 as “deep thoughts volume” because the word can mean profoundly or keenly, but I’m wondering if “heartfelt” might be better. The kanji is 沁み沁み.

1 Like

Thursday, May 5, 2022

Previous senryu

1. 棒グラフ伸ばしてくれた子の寝顔
    ぼうグラフ・のばしてくれた・このねがお
    The sleeping face of my child / boosted my sales (performance graph)

Notes:

• :confetti_ball: :confetti_ball: double congrats to @Arzar33 (first post a winner!)
  • This one was really like a puzzle
  • I added the words “performance chart” in parentheses because they aren’t in the original, nor in @Arzar33’s translation, but they help to explain the meaning

Current senryu challenge

Volume: whatever

9.終電車どうして俺だけしらふなの

Hints:

• I had to look up the word しらふ
  • It’s not the one that means “white spot” :grin:

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser.

Here’s the link to the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

Haha, a funny one!

Translation attempt

1. 終電車どうして俺だけしらふなの

Last train - why am I the only sober person (on board)? :tired_face:

5 Likes

Definitely wouldn’t have guessed without deepl, but here’s a 575 version

Riding the last train,
Why am I the only one
Who’s sober on it?

7 Likes

I just saw this thread and caught up with all the entries up to now. Surely the most fun way to learn the nuances of the language, culture, society and customs that I’ve come across so far! Hats off for the idea, implementation and the daily effort you’re putting into it Rrwrex!

The last train (of the day) - / Why am I /the lone sober rider?

Not a 5-7-5 translation, but have tried to capture the spirit of the original. And also taken the liberty to switch things around and make it more sensible to an English reader. I’m sure there are mistakes, but that ensures that I will learn. If this 川柳 hinges on the regret of not being drunk, it is enough of a “correct understanding” :wink:

A suggestion: Instead of posting a new 川柳 daily, it may be better to do one every two days as the detailed discussions each entry spawns and where they lead us are such a useful part of the exercise that some may not be able to digest in a single day.

4 Likes

Thanks for the kind words! Definitely one my better ideas, for sure.

I’m having too much fun doing these daily to stop now, but it’s absolutely fair game to revisit past translations. In fact, we should probably consider each day’s “winner” to just be a tentative translation after one day of study.

Further discussion on past poems is welcome. Since they are so short, just copy the original in its entirety, but also including the number and a link to the daily assignment post would be helpful.

That’s one of the reasons I assigned a number to each of these to begin with. I actually messed up the numbering a few different times (including pasting in a group of poems twice), hopefully I’ve managed to correct everything.

I’m trying to keep the spreadsheet the canonical reference. I should be the only one with edit privileges, so any and all mistakes are my own!

1 Like

Extremely pleased that I was finally able to read one of these and feel like I understood it, haha. I only had to look up one word (the same one you did) :blush:

2 Likes

A little bird tells me that tomorrow’s will be very easy to read, I don’t think you’ll need any dictionary lookups at all. It does require a bit of cultural knowledge, though. There may be hints.

1 Like

Thought I’d try my hand at doing an actual translation so that I could show it to my friends. Here was my best attempt:

Last train of the day.
Why am I the only one
who is sober here?

4 Likes

A second English 5-7-5 senryu today. Nice!

1 Like

Seems like wanikani really pays attention to this thread, just got this

1 Like

First attempt :slight_smile:

Last train of the night
Why am I the only one
Who’s not off his face?

Went more colloquial to echo the in 素面 (しらふ).

3 Likes

<thecount>Three, THREE English senryu, ah, ah, ahhh!</thecount>

Way to make my job hard this morning!

2 Likes

Friday, May 6, 2022

Previous senryu

1. 終電車どうして俺だけしらふなの
    しゅうでんしゃ・どうしておれだけ・しらふなの
    Last train of the night / Why am I the only one / Who’s not off his face?

Notes:

• :confetti_ball: :confetti_ball: :confetti_ball: @Gorbit99 @fallynleaf @valvictorine
  • English 5-7-5 FTW!
  • All submissions were great today, but I had to pick one. That I had three with 5-7-5 was amazing. Remember, though, that accurate, understandable translations are more important than 5-7-5.
  • Really struggled picking a winner. I finally gave @valvictorine the nod because “night” fits better with 終電車(しゅうでんしゃ) and the play with 素面(しらふ) was exquisite. Well done.

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Heartfelt

1. 花の名を聞いてケンカの仲なおり

This should be fairly easy to read (no kanji beyond WK level 11). Understanding may require a bit of cultural understanding, though.

Hints:

• You may find it useful to research 花言葉(はなことば).
  • I’m not 100% certain, but I think the () must have a pretty well-known 花言葉 meaning.
  • Which flower do you think was given?
  • Alternately, what do you think caused the fight? :slight_smile:

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser.

Here’s the link to the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

2 Likes

Our fighting broke off, after hearing the name of the flower

Not sure, what the flower would be, tbh

1 Like

I’m going with

azaleas. More for the 禁酒(きんしゅ) meaning more than the (こい)(よろこ)び meaning.

[See 花ことば一覧]

The story writes itself!

1 Like

Ok, i like that a lot :joy:

1 Like

Translation Attempt

oh hey, this one makes sense!

5-7-5:
On the last train home
Why am I the only one
Who’s not drunk at all?

edit: ah didn’t see this was for yesterday! well, i tried. lemme go look at today’s.

1 Like