BookWalker is an ebook store that offers online reading through the web, has an iOS application (which also allows you to pay for purchases using Apple’s in-app-purchasing mechanism), and lets you do your account creation in English (through the English language ‘global’ storefront.) I like it, although I haven’t used much else.
Like many ebook stores it offers free books from time to time - these tend to fall into two categories:
- 期間限定価格: limited time pricing, which includes limited time discounts to zero yen; and
- 期間限定 無料 お試し版: limited time free trial versions, which are eventually removed from your account.
This thread will focus on the 期間限定価格 as I’m generally not fast enough to get through the お試し版 before they expire. I posted a bit about this in @Radish8’s Resources for Starting to Read Japanese Content thread, but thought it might be good to have a thread of its own as a companion to @Airdramon’s Currently Free Kindle Books on Amazon Japan thread.
Revised comments, 21 August 2020 -
- At any one time there are hundreds of zero yen 期間限定価格 on BookWalker, far too many for me to make sense of here.
- I have written a python script that crawls BookWalker, and compares its findings with a (different) crawl of MangaUpdates to fuzzily match series titles that are tagged as “Award-Winning” or that enjoy user ratings of 7.5 or higher.
- I will try to post here weekly. The MangaUpdates data will get updated about once a month, or as I remember.
- I would welcome feedback on whether this format works well or whether this should just be an online spreadsheet.