📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

well, that was great fun! :smiley:

last night i grabbed マグヌムリリィ from the bookwalker freebies thread. because like, yuri, and boxing?! (and free for a very little while more). that’s gotta be fun.

the reading itself was interesting. not too difficult, but with lots of very casual language, at times even a little crude. some “non-standard” writing, for example text in kanji, but furigana showing “english” text. full furigana throughout help a lot. had to look up some vocab, maybe every other page or so.

slight spoilers

but the content is what makes it fun! 百合, our protagonist, thinks she’s on a date at the amusement park. she’s fully expecting the guy to make his confession, but instead he’s using her as a practice-run for a date with another girl.

so she finds herself in the arcade at a boxing game, trying to burn of anger, when a beautiful american girl comes up and is all like, that’s not how you throw a punch, look, try standing like this… i really like how 百合’s face lights up with glee as she learns to punch harder and harder. then we learn that the american girl is a pro boxer, and she invites 百合 to her match that night.

to not get any further into spoilers, 百合 is like, this girl is so strong, and can take so many punches, i want to be like her, i want to box!

the whole thing is of course very dramatic and all. but as someone who, in the last three years, has gone from couch potato to actually quite sporty, i understand that feeling of “wow! i’m strong!”

i only saw two volumes of the manga, and it’s already 5 years old, so i don’t really expect to see much more. but for now, this was a great little read :smiley:

22 Likes