Buying books

Hi all, I wanted to give reading an Absolute beginners book a try, but I’m having a hard time in actually buying a book… there is a link to Bookwalker but the site is in Japanese, at WK level 4 I don’t speak enough to actually buy something there :wink:

Then there is a link to Amazon.jp. I noticed I need a seperate account for that so I made a new account. But now the book only says ‘ready for download’ and I don’t actually see an option to buy or download it.

I guess this has to be done with Kindle. I already use Kindle with my EU account.
How do you guys do this, do you switch to your Japanese kindle account and then buy the book?
Which way do you find the easiest to buy a digital book without constantly having to switch from Amazon accounts?

8 Likes

Where do you live? Are you in Japan?

1 Like

I can’t really help you with Kindle because I use Bookwalker, but I just wanted to mention that Bookwalker is available in English via https://global.bookwalker.jp/

8 Likes

If you want to use Amazon for both, you have to either switch accounts all the time or buy a second kindle. Unfortunately you can’t log into a kindle with two Amazon accounts at the same time. Personally, I never used kindle on my Amazon US account, so I use mine exclusively with my Amazon JP account. Another option would be to use something like Bookwalker for Japanese and keep using your kindle for whatever you use it for today. It’s really up to you and your reading preferences.

5 Likes

Can you buy Japanese books from the global site now? I thought the global one was for their English books (but admittedly it’s been some years since I have used the non-japanese one, so could be wrong)

4 Likes

Thank you, but for what I see I can only buy English books/Manga on their English site?

2 Likes

If you can give me the title of your book I can show you step-by-step with pictures how to buy it if you want.

5 Likes

I think switching between both accounts will be the easiest solution for me then… sucks that Amazon doesn’t have a worldwide account. I now have 3 accounts, for the USA, EU and Japan :wink:

2 Likes

That would be awesome! I’d like to buy this one to start my reading with:

6 Likes

• Press 立ち読み to read the preview. 購入こうにゅう to buy. カートに入れる to add to cart.
  • 全額ぜんがくコインで今すぐ購入 (Buy only with coins.)

I am not sure if I can press later than that for you, as I don’t want to buy it.

5 Likes

What’s the difference between US and EU? Also, what’s the proper way to create a JP account? Will it ask for a valid Japanese phone number anyway?

https://community.wanikani.com/t/amazon-jp-kindle-unlimited/55613/9?u=polv

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this. When I follow your first link it opens my account settings page. On that page or on the homepage I can’t see where I can buy coins… but while reading the FAQ I saw this so I think I’ll manage it this way :slight_smile:

https://help.bookwalker.jp/faq/en/990

2 Likes

Edit : @polv hooked you up nicely before me I see :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll keep the post in a details tag should anyone want to see :

Summary

Okay, here we go ^^

カ-トに入れる means “put in cart”

Next you want to go to your cart, you can either click on the shopping cart on top, or click on カートを見る which means “view cart”

Next up you need to log-in, I believe the global and japanese shop have different accounts, so if you don’t have a Japanese account (which I assume is the case), you need to click the lowest orange button. I have translated the two windows for you if you want to know what they say :

Translation

First box :
“会員登録済みの方はこちら
ログインする”

“Already a member?

Second box :

“合計
1点1,100円(税込)
いろいろな支払い方法をご用意!
端末によって利用頂けない場合があります
会員登録して支払い選択へ
コイン・クーポンの利用もこちらから”

“total amount
1,100 yen for 1 item (tax included)
Various payment options!
(May not be available depending on the device.
Register and go to payment selection
Click here to use coins and coupons”

The rest of the pages can be changed to English (for the account creation and the cart) by clicking this item :

I have no idea why they offer this option for your library and cart, but not for the main store, but oh well :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

I wanted to order something from Amazon.com and for that the EU account doesn’t work… you need a separate account for that. And the same goes for Amazon.JP, also need a different account for that (I use the same email for all 3 accounts, but they are separate accounts). It’s a silly system.
You don’t need to enter a phonenumber, just email, password and basic data.

3 Likes

Yes thanks a lot both for the help :slight_smile: Hopefully this post will also help others in the future struggling with the same issue :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, sorry about that. Since I saw my earlier purchases on the English site, I assumed you could also buy them there. Once you bought a volume of series, you can even click on the “Unpurchased from this series” button on the English site, but I see now that that automatically takes you to the Japanese site. Those instructions you linked to, look pretty clear, though, so it looks like you will figure it out :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I am also curious whether the same email works. As a matter of fact, I can already browse Japanese eBook in Kindle (by setting the whole Android display language to Japanese, but in PC, it is really a no-brainer.)

However, got this also “Available for download now” / 「今すぐダウンロードできます。」. Seems to be only for Kindle / eBook.

Probably I pinged / asked a wrong person first…

1 Like

Those instructions look very clear, unfortunately they don’t work. When I add the book to my cart and open my cart i need to sign in. I do so, then my account page opens. I go back to the book page, cart is empty, I’m signed out again…
Going to try MatKat’s instructions now :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can always screenshot where you got stuck, and paste it here.

I seem to have to confirm my login in that website every once in a while. Not sure if before every purchase.

2 Likes

Keep in mind this means switching every time you want to read something, not every time you want to buy something. When you switch accounts it wipes all the content from the device.

2 Likes