Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 7 Discussion Thread・ [Volume Complete!]

Chapter 5, Pg. 2

The interpretation is correct, and yes, it can definitely be used that way. Tofugu has an excellent reference article of counters you are likely to come across, in which 限 is included:

350 Japanese Counters Grouped by How Useful They Are

What is interesting to me, is they say it’s used for university and college periods, and that middle school/high school should use a different counter. I wonder if this is a flub on the part of Yamamoto-sensei, or if it’s a mistake in the Tofugu article…

Regardless, it is used to mark time periods (you see it used this way in words like 年限, 期限, and 無限, so it fits overall, even if a different word maybe should have been used.

Chapter 5, Pg. 9

I think you’ve got the meaning, yep. Breaking down the sentence:

西片に = For Nishikata

有利な = advantageous/favorable

勝負内容 = match/game contents

西片なら = なら is a bit odd, since it’s generally a conditional, but can also be a topic marker, ala は. I look at it as something like, “If it is Nishikata (choosing the game)”

これ = this

選ぶ = to choose

だろうーな = “right?” Marking conjecture, with the な sentence ender, which also somewhat seeks confirmation. Kinda similar to ね, but a bit more assertive (and thus generally considered more masculine, but doesn’t have to be).

って = quotation particle

思ってさ = to have been thinking, さ sentence ender, indicating assertion.

So, altogether, similar to your interpretation, I would interpret it as:

“I had been thinking, “For game contents advantageous to Nishikata, if it is Nishikata, this is what he would choose, right?””

7 Likes
Typically I see it used like 2限目 in manga for middle school...

...and for high school.

(At least, I think this series was high school.)

However, our mangaka here is known to leave the 目 off.

6 Likes

I did notice this, but it’s the lack of the 時, not the 目 which creates the discrepancy between how we see it used and what Tofugu says is correct.

If Tofugu is correct, those instances should in theory be 1時限目, 5時限目, 1時限, respectively, unless I’m misunderstanding their explanation somehow.

But seeing multiple authors tells me that either:

1. It’s not as strict as the Tofugu article implies.

2. Authors tend to be too far removed from middle-school/high-school and instinctively use university period counters because it’s what they most recently remember.

I lean towards 1. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah, also just realized because of the section I quoted, it won’t ping you, @ChristopherFritz.

4 Likes

By the way, the manga that this is from:

…also has this:

(Make what you will of all of this!)

5 Likes

Hahaha. That pushes me further in the direction of it being option number 1, and Tofugu is being a bit arbitrarily strict in their explanation about how it is used. :laughing:

5 Likes

Ahh yes, the origin story of Nishikata’s gambling addiction

I like how this was basically a Takagi intrincate way of trading food, we are lucky she uses her elder god powers of adivination just to mess with Nishikata haha

7 Likes

Happy weekend everyone! I don’t think I have any witty (that’s a strong word to describe what I’ve been doing. :laughing:) remarks about Tシャツ, so all I have to say this week is I look forward to reading this chapter with all of you! :grin:

Are you planning on reading with us this week?
  • I will be reading along!
  • I’ve already read it!
  • I will catch up later!
  • I won’t be reading (anymore)

0 voters

7 Likes

cute… but one thing missing… didn’t get to see his shirt wonder if that’s in a crossover somewhere :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Based on what I’ve seen, such a scene is nowhere to be found.

7 Likes

just sadness… sadness I say… a Manga-ka so thorough…and nothing!!! sadness

7 Likes
This is where Artificial Intelligence comes to the rescue.

Here’s one custom-generated embarrassing t-shirt for Nishikata:

8 Likes

That shirt’s kinda ballin’, tho.

8 Likes

I’m actually thinking this is more of our author liking to teach the audience as well … :wink: We’ve seen it before! and it seems well orchestrated every time!

6 Likes

Takagi really does just know everything that’s going to happen huh - never makes a bad bet it seems. My theory that she’s an elder god who can manipulate luck itself still holds

9 Likes

I actually want that shirt now

7 Likes

It just screams '90s to me, and I can’t help but love it also. :joy:

6 Likes

Happy weekend, everyone! I’m not usually one for gambling, but when I see what the Mega Millions pot looks like at the moment, it’s tempting to take a quick hop across the border and try my luck at the 宝くじ. :wink: I suspect poor Nishikata isn’t going to have much luck, though, so maybe that will be effective in dissuading me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you planning on reading with us this week?
  • I will be reading along!
  • I’ve already read it!
  • I will catch up later!
  • I won’t be reading (anymore)

0 voters

After voting here, check out the poll I’ll be posting in the home thread! We’ve already almost finished another volume!

9 Likes

can’t win if you don’t play :wink:

5 Likes

cuteness!!! this chapter gave me some trouble…not sure why…tired, bad week at work, some new vocab, dialectly at the beginning…in any case…vocab populated …

8 Likes
Chapter 7, Pg. 5

Maybe I’m missing something obvious, but why is he counting with ひー、ふー、みー?

7 Likes