Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 3 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete]

Oh, I thought the girl in the bonus was the girl we’ve seen before who is dating that other boy. The one who was depressed along with Nishikata when all the seats changed. I figured that boy liked her but she wasn’t interested because she was already dating someone, and it was a love square (is that a phrase? A love triangle with four people?). But the kids here also seem younger than the usual gang, so maybe not.

2 Likes

When I first saw her, I also thought it was Mano, but when I looked back through the previous chapters to compare, there are some differences between the two

I took an image from the bonus chapter that featured Mano in Volume 2 since it shows a better angle for her, but the most obvious differences are: like you say, age. This girl seems to be younger than Mano and the rest of the usual characters.

The hairstyle, while similar, is different. The unknown girl seems to have a bit longer hair, pulled into a ponytail as opposed to the pigtails that we’ve consistently seen Mano in. I know hairstyles can change, but they usually don’t in manga without some kind of catalyst (the most common trope being: long-haired girl gets heart broken, so cuts her hair).

Though they do have very similar eyes and faces, so I do wonder if they aren’t related somehow; and maybe that feeling of familiarity is just the similarities to Mano.

As for the love square, I don’t know if it’s an “official” term, but I have definitely seen it used, though usually a bit tongue-in-cheek, with some of the larger ones being described as love-pentagons/hexagons, etc. Gets the point across, either way. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes
Slightly different bangs/fringe, as well.

i-0150x i-0063x

4 Likes

Thanks for the side-by-side, that makes it much clearer that they are different people. Also, they definitely are younger, but given that the usual crew are middle school kids, I wonder how much younger they could be. This seems like a pretty dramatic romantic situation for elementary school kids to be going through :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

This greatly confused me early into volume 1, as I was thinking the main characters were upper elementary school…

4 Likes

Just in case anybody is watching here and not the home thread, I wanted to post and let everybody know that the Volume 4 Discussion Thread is up and ready to go for when we start this weekend!

3 Likes

Got to Volume 3 :ghost:

7 Likes

do you already have the whole set…you’re catching up fast haha

4 Likes

Volumes 6-8 getting delivered this Wednesday :man_dancing:t2:

4 Likes

This sentence continues from the previous line, where Nishikata says “By the way… during holidays we casually met several times, but…”

In this one, I only have one doubt.
“…のって” is simply the の nominalizing the previous verb and the って topic marker, right?

“…as for having met at a prearranged place and time (まちあわせたのって) is the first time (初めてだ)

Not sure what is that じゃあ after これ. Could it be a contracted では? Or it’s simply a ‘well then’ weirdly positioned?
Anyway I translate this line as

“ We can’t go on the bike together in this conditions “ (because the loot was flooded)

What is で at the end here? Is it the connective だ form as simply trailing off a bit? And how is exactly translated パス?

Have no clue what this sentence means…
First question, what is という doing at the beginning? I checked every possible purpose and the only one that looks legit here is the emphasizing one. Possibly it’s just emphasizing the 車 word and reflecting it into エモノ (pray) so that vehicles are prays
Second, i don’t really know how to link the elements of this sentence…
車というエモノが→cars that are preys (?)
いなくなる→ to disappear
血に飢える→ to be bloodthirsty
幽霊→ghost

So, after thinking about it, I’d say that 車というエモノが makes the action of いなくなって (disappear) and the て form simply links (without any causality) the second part of the sentence, that is on it’s own and is unfinished (maybe there is an implicit ある after the ellipsis?), which is 幽霊 being modified by the verb 血に植えた (why past tho). This all takes the が because it’s probably followed by the verb ‘to exist’ (ある, there is)

“ The vehicles, that are preys, disappear, and (there is, implicit ある) a bloodthirsty ghost “

2 Likes

I have a question on one use of the の particle that is not clear yet
To explain my doubt I’ll use the 1.5.2.2 speech bubble

Summary

帰るの面倒だし昼まで時間つぶすのつき合ってよ
In such sentence there is a weird use of the の particle that I’m struggling to conceptualize, for example:
帰るの面倒だし I’d translate this as “since it’s a problem to return home” but I’m only used to the の that nominalizes, and the possessive の so this feels a bit weird
I mean, should I think of this の as simply nominalizing 帰る, so → the returning home 帰るの is a problem 面倒だ
Or
Is this simply using a possessive as I thought → 帰るの面倒 (the problem of going back home hone) and then stating it with the verb だ ‘ is ‘
(So - “ the problem of returning home, is/exists)?

2 Likes

Sounds like it, I was confused at the kanji. :sweat_smile:

I think so, yeah. The translation is correct.

I would say so. It’s a pass. Like they don’t want to do it.

The prey called/known as cars.

2 Likes

I would agree with this if it was a different sentence, 帰るの面倒は etc. But since it’s 帰るの面倒だ, wouldn’t it work as it replacing が?

This is fine, but 面倒 has the nuance of something being annoying or too much of a problem, not just a problem that needs to be solved, imo. Maybe it’s just an English thing. :yum:

2 Likes
Chapter 1, Pg. 4, Panel 1

Yep, that is how I read it, also.

Though, you have an IME typo in the full sentence qupte. The kanji 乗 snuck in and replaced the の.

Chapter 1, Pg. 5

では and じゃあ are the same thing. じゃあ is just a contraction of it. The “then; well then” meaning also applies to じゃあ.

This これでは (contracted to これじゃあ) is very similar to それでは.

それでは can be translated to: “If that is the case…”

I would just change the wording for これでは to “If this is the case…”

But the meaning is the same regardless, so you can use the same wording for both and just say “then; well then”. It just marks something that was just said as a conditional in some way; in this case, she is referring back to the large amount of rain. So I would say your interpretation is pretty much correct, I would just reword it to include the conditional as such.

“Well then, we can’t ride the bike together.”

“It’s fine, but, as for a place where there are too many people, I’ll pass…”

Would be the literal interpretation of it. So he is basivally saying they can hang out, but not if its in a place with a ton of people. This is solidified by his thought bubble afterwards reflecting on not knowing what to say if they were seen by classmates.

Chapter 1, Page 7, Panel 3

The という is just the “called” meaning.

“The prey called “cars”.”

So your usage of “The prey that is cars” fits fine.

The reason for this being in past tense is because the past few bubbles have all been tied together. You have to follow the full thread of the story. Regardless, the past tense is because it relates directly to the immediately previous speech bubble. “The prey called cars disappeared, and the ghosts, which were bloodthirsty, ever since then, come out every evening.”

I don’t think it’s an implicit ある, but a reverse order sentence to lend more impact to the subject.

(I didn’t see that @Kazzeon had replied until now, so there may be some answer overlap)

Well, this sentence probably won’t help clear your doubt, honestly. I can explain this specific sentence, but I dunno if it will help for any lingering doubts. This is the nominalizing の, in my opinion. And there is simply a dropped は topic marker afterwards, which happens regularly in casual speech.

帰るの面倒だし…

I initially considered this because it is a subordinate phrase, but you can’t mark a non-nominalized verb with が (unless it’s the conjunctive and not the particle, which wouldn’t apply here anyway), so I put that theory aside.

3 Likes

I’m not 100% on this translation, though.

In these conditions, if it’s like this, etc. Sounds a lot better to me.

“Well then” makes it seem like it’s a thought that popped up at the last minute instead of it being an observation based on the situation. I don’t know how to explain it properly…

2 Likes

Yeah, this is basically what I thought, but couldn’t put into words.

2 Likes

That might be an issue with how English phrases things versus how other languages phrases things, maybe.

It feels perfectly natural to me…

Like, if I had plans for a picnic, but it was raining, it would be perfectly normal to say, “Well then, guess I’m not going on my picnic.” It does have vibes of being a bit of a last-minute thing, for sure, but the circumstances in this case are last-minute for them too; they planned to ride the bike, but were unable to because the conditions had changed on them from what they expected.

Though, yes I agree that “If this is the case…; if it’s like this; however you want to phrase an observation on conditions” is a more literal translation, both are the same meaning, from my perspective.

2 Likes

+1, it’s probably a は or が dropped. Btw what’s going with the second の after つぶす? It’s just the end of the sentence (explanatory の) and つき合ってよ is a new one?

2 Likes

This is me thinking in English. :sweat_smile:

But yeah, for me it just feels like a different nuance. It would make sense in your hypothetical story.

It’s more of a wording issue for me, but if you think it sounds natural. We’ll have to agree to disagree. :dog:

2 Likes

Another nominalizing の, I think, nominalizing the つぶす.

It all looks like one sentence to me in the context, (well a compound sentence, so I guess two sentences, but connected by the し, regardless), though I definitely feel like there is another dropped は.

帰るの面倒だし昼まで時間つぶすのつき合ってよ

Roughly:

“Going home is a pain, so hang out with me until noon to kill some time.”

I could be wrong, but that is what it looks like to me.

1 Like