Solving Crosswords for Fun and Profit

Not sure:
22 across ヨロイ
30 down モアイ
19 across タコス

1 Like

Ah, I meant to look that one up when I spotted the clue, but forgot. Nice going.

30-down is certainly モアイ, which means ヨロイ is probably correct (by elimination). I can see why you’re unsure about タコス, though, but that might be because I feel like I’ve not quite understood the clue.

I’m pretty sure 21-down is some manner of parfait (i.e. the last three characters are パフェ). To that end, I reckon 17-across is ニンフ. I feel like solving 24-across is going to require some knowledge of the Hyakunin Isshu - all I know is that they’re used in karuta. So maybe エフダ would work? That’s an absolute guess, though.

14-across… インド? Though maybe not. Just ocurred to me that チョコレートパフェ would fit 21-down…

19-across ラップ

I confess I prefer タコス to ラップ, if only because it fits my pet theory. Which, I confess, is a little bit dangerous. That and タコス makes 26-down ロス, and ロスタイム is in the dictionary.

Using my typical process of a series of increasingly tenuous guesses, I’ve come up with these answers:

21-down チョコレートパフェ (may as well pencil that one in)
16-across レコーダー
27-down ダツイ
31-down ケーキ
32-across ケルン (this one I’m particularly unsure of - is there’s a Japanese term for them?)
23-across トッキョ
19-down タイコ (though I’m not too clear on why ばちあたり applies)
10-across タマイレ

Trouble is, that leaves nothing at all in my dictionary that fits in 15-down.

Meanwhile, I suspect 35-down is a pun I’m not really getting.

1 Like

Tacos aren’t made with tortilla’s though but it’s Japan so maybe they don’t distinguish between the two.

Tacos are, traditionally, always made with tortillas - the hard-shell taco is a US invention.

That’s true.

You mean 32-down, right?

I don’t quite get this one, could you explain? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

36 down ヨカゼ ?
35 down タル
35 across タモ

1 Like

Aye, that I did.

Gah. I was staring at that one trying to figure out what blew at night. Didn’t even consider trying to stick 夜 and 風 together to see what would happen.

1 Like

By the way, I just noticed that it’s actually リコーダー on the picture (wich seems to be an alternative form of レコーダー). I don’t know if that affects 15-down, but sometimes one letter makes a huge difference :thinking:

1 Like

Oh, nice catch. レ is listed as the main spelling in Jisho, but リ is there as an alternate. I was just getting concerned that there appeared to be no words which fit 15-down, but now it could be マリネ, maybe. And then 5-across could be カキネ. I’m also tempted to say 11-down is キス.

1 Like

Looks like this puzzle died

The book’s been sitting on my desk waiting for me to pick it up again…

2-across ススキ (?)

Hah. I just finished reading Non Non Biyori volume eight (in English) last night, and in one chapter they describe how moon-viewing parties are decorated with zebra grass because it looks kinda like rice plants, but is much easier for the average person to get a hold of.

1-down could perhaps be タバスコ, but I don’t know that it’s often served with powdered cheese…

1 Like

yea I’ve never just had a bowl of tabasco and powdered cheese lol

13-down テヌキ
17-down ニシメ
18-down イマ
7-across メイシ
14-across ヌマチ
17-across ニンフ

33-down ギシキ(?)

9D スブタ
3A コブ
33A ギゼン
11D キス
25A クモユキ
38D キマリモンク
34D ユズ
31A アズマ

Can’t tell if these crosswords are getting harder or if I’m just losing my crosswording ability over time, but I’m honestly feeling less and less like I know what I’m doing. In any case, that’s the top two corners done. I really should make up an in-progress grid.

I’m going to go with that they are getting harder.