So I made it to level 60 🎉🥳🎉

Hi, so today I reach level 60 of Wanikani.
(after a kinda longer than usual journey xD)

Anyway the purpose for this post (besides celebration :partying_face: ) is that I want to thank all the amazing friends and supporters who have interacted with or cheered me along the way. Your advice and kindness really have given me motivation to continue where sometimes giving up is a viable choice. @UInt2048 @Naphthalene (your scream aanhlleee 's still vividly playing in my head) the almighty @jprspereira, crazy silent love from @MegaZeroX, the triplets gojarappe & Radish8 & TomatoSalad , @truandissimo @Rowena @Natsuha @tip @zEUs_Japanese Shandapanda, hasturman, tangotangosierra (gosh I can only mention up to 10) and the many people who have supported me silently.

edit: special thanks to @Kumirei for your Countdown thread and sweetness <3.

Some long texts (cause emotional):

Some of you may know that I kinda have a cool diary out there since I started.
So I tried to re-read through my diary and it struck me as there have been about 4 years since I started and lots of up and down there. My only 2-cent advice if requested is that you should do your review daily, if it feels bad you can think about stopping for a while. Persistence is really the key.

Back in late 2018 I nearly quit and came a hiatus year of 2019. Then I talked to myself something go along with the line of winners never quit and quitters never win.

Things weren’t all smooth at first when I had to deal with more than 2000 reviews avanlanche of death xD. I decided to split them into small reviews and just focus to deal with them until all reviews down to 0 properly. Took me a while then I was finally able to get back to the journey, safe and sound.

At the final levels (about level 50) I was actually having no motivation, but I still had a goal and I still liked the journey with Wk that I’ve been doing. “Why learning all these kanjis?” “Why keep doing a habit 3 times a day/ 7 days a week that feels like a chore like this?” It seemed strange at first but just keep going was what I said to myself.

At those final levels I realize one point that all that matter was the journey itself, not getting to the final levels that leave me so much emotion… Part of happiness comes from the joy that having something to post every day into the forum, the weird mnemonics that wk offers, the great support that I have had along the way, and even depression moment when I thought that I couldn’t keep going or the workload just felt unbearable to me).

Please do know that I really appreciate all your support, love and advice along the journey.
I’m not taking this level 60 for granted and I do not take your support for granted!

Thanks Wanikani a lot for making this great app and creating one of the best Japanese learning community out there!

///// ///// ///// ///// ///// ///// ///// ///// ///// ///// ///// ///// ///// /////

ok boi, now it’s party timeeeee!
say my name

94 Likes

CONGRATS!!! Here’s your well deserved cake for pulling through.

18 Likes

do you study out of wanikani? like grammar etc? Currently only level 14 so my future is still pretty unknown to me.
I don’t wish I speak natively, so long as can live day to day as a tourist to Japan and can handle anime/manga (or potentially light novel) raw.

Also… gratzzzz for hitting 60. must really feel good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Totally awesome! And I feel honoured that you mentioned me. You did great and your dedication is incredible, especially during those extremely hard fast levels.

I can’t even imagine how hard this must have been, but I guess I‘ll find out one day.

Now keep the momentum and do your reviews! I grant you one day of rest and then hush hush.

7 Likes

So inspiring to see your graph with all its ups and downs. You carried on and you made it. I mean not to knock people who do 60 levels of some crazy short time :slight_smile: But your story is surely more representative of how WK is not a cake walk for most people. And is very encouraging to see. “Persistence is really the key” is sage advice. Bravo Aanhlle!!! May you enjoy as much cake as you can stomach :cake:

6 Likes

Congratulations!
I’m still in a phase of euphoria and motivation with each new level, due to noticeable progress and a sense of improvement.
But the increased workload after a new level hits, is also always a challenge.
Respect for toughing it out and reaching the finish line!

3 Likes

Congratulations! :partying_face:

3 Likes

I’m happy to see myself mentioned. However, you got started again only around when I started, but yet you don’t talk about I got you to start again. My name isn’t “journey.” You have to edit your post. :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, awesome! Enjoy your shiny gold status and knowing you are in the less than 1% of users that have competed WK!

2 Likes

Less than 1%? Really?

1 Like

Congratulations on making it to Level 60. People should aspire to have your willpower to keep going forward.

And Congratulations once again :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I guess it is more 1.4%, so not quite “less than 1%” but pretty close.

2 Likes

Congrats!!!

Just between us, is it carrot? Is it red velvet? Is it pineapple upside down? :durtle_durtverted_lvl1:

3 Likes

Congratulations!!.
You definitely earned it. Keep moving up wanikani is the first step(yet the hardest one, some might say) yet you did it. おめでとうございます🔥

2 Likes

mio gif
先輩 you noticed me

おめでとうございます I thought you would never become level 60. It’s time to party. :tada: :confetti_ball: :tada: :crabigator:
DJMAX_Respect_M_V_Always

3 Likes

Congratulations, man! I’m glad you finally made it, level 60 is a really impressive goal. In the end you went quicker than I expected.

1 Like

hi @happiehappie
Yes, mostly preparing for JLPT test. I passed JLPT N2 about a year ago. After that I felt like I want to immerse more on Japanese but then there came a period of demotivation (I didn’t want to study Japanese anymore). Then I just chilled down and watched some Netflix japanese shows, putting me in some real life things outside textbooks and works. Recently I think that maybe just reviewing wk/or doing anything that relates to Japanese as a habit, and it feels better. Like we should really enjoy what we do after all.

My speaking and writing skills are barely N3 ish though (cause they don’t test you on these but I was lucky to work with Japanese customers for some time so I had some chance to practice.)

So, long road’s still ahead.
ps: oh and just keep learning a little everyday and you will get there in no time.

thank you!

see your graph with all its ups and downs.

oh great notice! I take a second look and it really is… what a roller coaster tbh :laughing:

2 Likes

so for not spamming the forum I stick all my replies into one post. But please do know that I read all your comments two times xD.

thank you! I’m sure that you will find out in no time.

thank you! yeah everyone has his or her pace, but same goal to learn Japanese. Keep going I’m waiting for you too!

well the journey hasn’t been over yet and I guess so is our bromanceship.
but sincerely, I owe you a deep thank. you were trully a realiable comrade xD.

thank you! one point is I think I shouldn’t have that long hiatus. Persistence is really what matters.

please tell me you are not a POLL club citizen :rofl:

thanks!

what, you did? how could you :rofl:
but I like your gif so I’ll forgive <3

well so you guys actually feel like I’m a slow goer :snail: (indeed I am).
For some record I was participating in a great race when I was like level 7 with a friend called @Dadung . took me 2 days 3 hours, was a cake walk. Then somehow the cake turns out bitter sigh…

4 Likes

Congratulations! I hope to see you at the top of that mountain by the end of this calendar year! October is my goal but as long as I get it for the Dec JLPT, I am on target!

Awesome job, and you did it!

1 Like

Congratulations, and welcome to the level 60 club! Pushing through those up and downs is very impressive.

3 Likes