What is the level distribution on here?

Ah whoops my bad, I only looked at the lifetime number. D:

Wait, how are there free subscriptions above level 3?

People who got to that level then let their subscription lapse

5 Likes

@Kumirei Could we please get a refresh on your level distribution data? I would love to see how the global pandemic has affected the number and distribution of WaniKani users! I started my WaniKani journey during lockdown and I bet many others did too.

9 Likes

Maybe! We’ll see when I have time to do it again

6 Likes

Because people in the POLL thread were talking about it, I decided to run a script to recalculate the level distribution on here again (or at least the distribution of everyone with the Basic badge, but that should be almost everyone who ever visited the forums). The results can be found in this spreadsheet.

I also made a few graphs to visualize the data a bit better.

The distribution itself doesn’t seem all that much different from the one @Kumirei found last year. Still a big drop at the start, and a small spike at level 60 where everyone who cleared at the levels accumulates.

Here’s the same plot but with the y-axis on a logarithmic scale.

So it’s close to an exponential decrease in the number of users per level, with a large drop after the free levels are over and a spike at level 60.

36 Likes

Hey, neat!

I’m glad I don’t have to do it

8 Likes

I’ve got a script now to automatically generate a csv now, so I could just regenerate the plot if anyone asks. All it would take is just waiting while the thing slowly fetches the list of users.

7 Likes

No bump at 42?

This place is full of sinners.

13 Likes

I could only endure so much eternal enlightenment before my skin started burning :see_no_evil:

I’m more concerned with the bump at level 59 of all those psychopaths who didn’t go one level further.

11 Likes

It’s sad to see that there are 9k free users on levels 5-59, but only 1.3k users on level 60

4 Likes

It’s quite sad to see 8 free users at level 59 too. I wondered what happened that ended up in them not continuing on to level 60.

4 Likes

Did you save individual user data? I think I’ve seen some of them around

2 Likes

@BIsTheAnswer @Kumirei
one of them would be @riya who is still somewhat active on the forums. not sure about the rest tho

3 Likes

Ah, thanks. I didn’t remember any names

1 Like

I’ve got a csv of individual users too. It’s structured as username,level,subscription type,admin status,moderator status. If you’re interested I can add it to the spreadsheet.

4 Likes

Oh yes, I would like that

As a follow up, some more statistics. I wanted to know if people who are more active on the forum tend to get to higher levels. So I queried the list of everyone who achieved Member status, and everyone who is currently Regular.

The stats for people who reached member:

And a on a logarithmic scale:

The level 60 spike is really significant here, with it having the most Members out of any other level. For the regulars the graph is a bit more sparse:

I can probably name everyone on here individually at this point. As a side note, @Kumirei, you’ve held Regular status almost longer than anyone, currently ranking 4th in total. First and second place both have their moderator flag set, so not counting those you’re in second place. Apparently you’ve held it for longer than both koichi and the crabgator themselves.

EDIT: Apparently something went wrong when plotting the regular graph. I still had the logarithmic minimum of 1 at the bottom of the graph, so it didn’t show levels with just 1 person at that level. I’ve updated the graph to correctly render from 0 now.

23 Likes

I have been waiting for years for @windupbird to lose regular status for just a moment so that I can be first! They have not cooperated

16 Likes

I’ve updated the spreadsheet, the raw data should be available now.

2 Likes