Should there be a forum category for level 60 celebration posts?

In that case, however, I think it would not be fitting as a subcategory of WaniKani anymore.

I don’t really know what would be the best course of action – create two “Milestone Celebration” categories? One in WaniKani and one in Campfire? That might be overkill or get confusing. Are there even that many people that want to create their own topic to celebrate achievements unrelated to WaniKani, like finishing a book? Or would they just post in another thread, like for example Celebrating is a must?

Looking at the length of the Master List of Study Logs, a “Study Log” subcategory in Japanese Language or Campfire might actually make sense? :thinking:

2 Likes

Two things

1. Imo it literally doesn’t matter in the first place. It’s a forum section.

2. Level 60 posts aren’t always majorly relevant to wanikani anyways so I’m not sure why people care to have it in the wanikani section in the first place. A lot of it is people just talking about their personal journey and what they can/can’t do and even what they plan to do next.

2 Likes

I am one of those, still haven’t made mine.

2 Likes

That’s why I initially thought it should be in the Campfire category, but there were also some reasonable arguments for the WaniKani category.

Whether generalizing the “Level 60 Celebration” category to a “Milestone Celebration” category is a good idea or not probably only depends on how fine-grained the forum users want to filter the topics. I personally am more interested in level 60 celebration threads than in threads about passing N5 or finishing a book, so in my case a separate “Level 60 Celebration” category would be preferable (but it’s not that important to me).

And I think “burned everything” threads would also belong into the “Level 60 Celebration” category without having to generalize it.

3 Likes

Sounds good

2 Likes

Oh now you mention it… gonna change I don’t care to yes hehe

1 Like

I would say they go in the Japanese Language and Reading categories, respectively.

4 Likes

Where it goes though really doesn’t matter. We just need them grouped so people can either mute it or search for it more easily. The only difference is if it’s searchable by Google. Like you said, both are fine but there’s no reason not to do campfire considering it would be able to cover more threads. At this point, theyre so frequent that I don’t see why we shouldn’t group as many as possible for those who wanna mute it.

Wouldn’t that also make it harder for people that don’t want to mute it to find the specific thing they’re looking for though? (I personally don’t mind either option since I don’t look at those kinds of threads super much, but I figure it’s probably unlikely all people that want to read them are only interested in all of those kinds of threads, so I thought I’d at least mention it. For instance study logs and level 60 posts are pretty different kinds of topics)

1 Like

No, considering you can search a category by poster, thread title, etc. I mean…if you didn’t know the poster or a word in the thread title…or anything else identifying the thread from the body…then I mean that’s kinda on you, no?

I don’t see why it would go anywhere other than #wanikani? The only reason for the posts’ existence is for reaching level 60 on Wanikani

13 Likes

To be honest, I actually think two new categories would be a good idea. They could be different though, e.g. the WaniKani one is just for level 60 posts, while the Campfire one is for any milestone.

2 Likes

I think you mean Hall of FLAME!

18 Likes

I wish I could reach level 60 on Campfire, tho

5 Likes

It’s just that introduction threads and level 60 threads seem somewhat similar to me: Introduction threads mark the start of the WaniKani journey, and level 60 threads mark the end. In introduction threads, the OP talks about themselves and their connection to the Japanese language, and in level 60 threads it’s basically the same. In introduction threads, the OP receives WaniKani studying advice, while in level 60 threads, the OP gives WaniKani studying advice.

So my initial thought was to put it in the same parent category as #campfire:introductions. But I see that it also fits pretty well into #wanikani, probably even better. (And that “initial thought” is actually contradicting my own past actions, because I have also put my level 60 celebration thread into #wanikani :laughing:)

3 Likes

I don’t want a billion “My first burn” threads mixed in with lvl 60 posts, honestly. I like lvl 60 posts because people often describe their Japanese learning journey and talk about their process, motivation, resources etc. It’s interesting and often insightful.

While posts like “yay, my first burn!” are just begging for attention and don’t contain anything useful.

6 Likes

I guess the difference in opinion can come from the fact that some people feel like the level 60 threads also often don’t contain anything useful lol.

Either way, I haven’t seen anyone be opposed to a level 60 celebration category, so I don’t see any reason why @Mods shouldnt make it and just choose themselves where it goes. Regardless, it’ll be an improvement for everyone who cares.

3 Likes

I think it is a wonderful idea!

Honestly see a few usefull tips here:
A Lvl 60/all burn category (I too think the WaniKani area to be best)
A Milestone Celebration area, if WK focus only then it too could be in the WaniKani area
Study Logs could definitely be a good category too

The three are sort of suited to each other. Could be in a combined Progress master category (but should be in separate sub categories)

5 Likes

I definitely think there should be a level 60 celebration category, and I think milestones and study logs could also use their own categories, though I would prefer that all three things (level 60, other milestones, and study logs) each get their own categories, because I feel like they’re pretty separate. I enjoy reading level 60 posts and other people’s study logs, but mostly ignore the milestone posts.

My one request is that wherever the level 60 category and the study log category end up, I would like for them to be public categories so that those threads can be added as a featured topic to users’ profiles. I actually moved my study log out of campfire to the Japanese language category because I wanted to be able to add it to my profile. My study log and hopefully eventual level 60 thread are really the only threads I would ever want to feature on my profile.

5 Likes

Since the discussion mostly came to an end, I have now sent an email to the WK team with a link to this thread (probably not necessary since you have already tagged the mods, but just to be sure).

The only thing missing here are arguments entirely against the creation of this new subcategory. If anyone has such arguments, please post them. The only two arguments I can think of are:

1. If there are too many categories, it might get confusing. But I personally think the number of categories is not at that point yet.
  2. Having a dedicated category encourages the creation of such posts – if for some reason the WK team would prefer if there were less threads of this type, then it would not make sense to create this category.

UPDATE: The WK team is currently discussing this topic and will likely post their decision here.

12 Likes