📚📚 Read Every Day Challenge - Winter 2024 🎍☃🌲

Really sorry for you :confused: I’d better remember turning on the VPN when I go on this site…
Did you lose a lot of books ?

3 Likes

Luckily I only opened my account a couple of weeks ago and the 3 books I bought I’d already stripped the DRM from, so I didn’t lose them.

8 Likes

That at least is a relief :pray:

3 Likes

Posting from phone so no fancy formatting

Finished 妄想テレパシー1. Fun and colourful, think I will continue but need to check prices, not necessarily a series I need to order in.

Started and read about half of ms Elf 5 on the plane no lookups. This series I really enjoy, but comparing it to lower level stuff where I can understand it without much lookups vs here where I really am just reading the vibes and the art without lookups is a shock to the system. But it’s really making going ‘lower level’ much easier competitively, and I’m really enjoying it, so… Whatever!

I do keep thinking about how convenient this would be if I mukuro it lol. I may yet be converted. Mukuro addicts share your stories

14 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Feb 29 :snowman_with_snow: :books:

・サイレント・ウイッチ VII (86% → 92%)

I’ll finish this book tomorrow :eyes: zettai

17 Likes

Congratulations :slight_smile: do you have any fun plans for your next books?

5 Likes

Feb 28/29

Home post

More Animal Crossing, and read to page 80 in 同じ夢

16 Likes

2024-03-01T01:57:00Z

Today is the last day of the official reading challenge and I have continued my reading streak from last year and not missed a single day. So now I have a 6-month streak going. I’ve read everyday for half a year! :confetti_ball: :partying_face:

For this challenge, I’ve read 2 ⅖ manga volumes- カードキャプターさくら 3, ヒカルの碁 1 and 月刊少女野崎くん 2巻. While カードキャプターさくら was surprisingly easy to read considering how much trouble I had with the first volume, ヒカルの碁 and 月刊少女野崎くん are much harder. Not only are there many technical terms that are difficult to understand or have unknown (to me) kanji, there are many parts with no furigana which made it difficult for me to follow along. So while I enjoyed ヒカルの碁 in English, I will have to put aside reading the rest of the series for when I’ve advanced further in my Japanese comprehension. I can still understand 月刊少女野崎くん when they have the slice of life bits but this author loves to have handwritten asides with no furigana and I find it difficult to parse those. So I may put a hold on continuing this series as well after I get through this volume.

I will continue reading in March. I haven’t finished 月刊少女野崎くん and I also want to keep my streak up.

20 Likes

Feb 29th!
5 more pages of the Orange Light Novel today.

(Home Post)

End of challenge Summary: 100% :tada:

Books Completed

• Shadows House Volume 14-15
  • This Art Club Has a Problem! - Volume 1
  • Behind the Supermarket, Smoking with You - Volume 3
  • Teasing Master Takagi-san - Volume 16
  • Shikimori’s Not Just a Cutie - Volume 1

Man, end of the challenge already? 2024 is flying by.
A decent start to the year, reading wise, with 6 volumes completed so far - I’m also on the cusp of finishing the Orange Light Novel, with only 18 pages left.
For the first time in over 2 years - I wont be posting in the thread much during the “off” month since I’ll be traveling for 3 weeks in March. I’ll still be aiming to read every day though, and I’ll still be lurking around in the thread to see what everyone else is reading! I might pop in and do a few summary posts, but it’ll depend on how stuff is going!

Big thanks as always to everyone for the inspiration, motivation, cheerleading, reccomendations, advice… I could keep going… These challenge threads bring me a lot of joy. Thanks for being a part of them.
And of course, an especially large thank you to @DIO-Berry for taking over the organization of the thread.
Have a great March everyone!

25 Likes

Home post

Feb 29

• :desert: BASARA atogaki (a.k.a. タムタムタイム), which finishes off volume 2!
  • :mans_shoe: スキップとローファー chapter 34

Wow I didn’t even think about how it’s the end of the official challenge until I saw the posts talking about it. Congrats to everyone who participated! I had a lot of fun joining in with everyone, and I’m pretty happy with how my reading went. :blush: I’m not sure yet if I’ll post daily / participate for the off month (I guess I’ll decide tomorrow), although I definitely plan on continuing to read regularly.

Wow, that’s scary. :grimacing: That reminds me I should make sure everything I have on rakuten is backed up. I’m glad you didn’t lose any books at least!

17 Likes

Not really, I guess :sweat_smile: I’ll definitely continue reading the TWC, two chapters per day, day after day, and read all NHK Easy articles (except for maybe March 20th and 21st, because I have exams there, and I’ll try to do at least the bare minimum there, which is WK and BP, because I’ll be away for almost the whole day). I also thought about looking around at Tadoku :thinking: Perhaps I’ll even… attempt to read one NHK Normal article? :eyes: We’ll see…

5 Likes

Lots to choose from :slight_smile:

3 Likes

24/2 16 pages 気になってる人が男じゃなかった (read week 4), 11 pages 舞妓さんちのまかないさん (finished volume 2)

25/2 18 pages また,同じ夢を見ていた (finished week 3, started next), aDoIG がたい and special topics: discourse grammar

26/2 4 pages Spy Family, aDoIG 逆に

27/2 2 pages また,同じ夢を見ていた

28/2 2 pages Spy Family, aDoIG ほど

29/2 6 pages Spy Family (finished mission 72, started next)

I managed to read everyday for the challenge (this May be a first). There were a couple of days where reading was minimal. Wednesday turned into a very hectic day - working the evening shift and on call overnight, didn’t make it home at all, so ended up postponing a flight I was supposed to take yesterday. Could say lots more about that day but no energy now.

I’m not doing too badly in terms of book clubs but am a little behind with all my novels. I think I’ll catch up as I’m on holiday now. Technically have a conference this weekend, but there’s a fair amount of downtime. I missed the first day due to the flight change but that’s ok.

21 Likes

:raccoon: :seedling: :books: March 01 :books: :seedling: :raccoon:

天狗の鼻 :japanese_goblin: :stuffed_flatbread:
Chapter: 1/3

There’s still a few stories left in this collection so I’ll continue into the bonus month. Congrats to all who participated, and 頑張って to all continuing!

Next story! So far it’s about a tengu being a nuisance and constantly stealing food from the villagers.

Word the Tengu Stole

貪欲「どんよく」ー Greedy; avaricious

18 Likes

Mar 1, Fri of Week 9 of Q1 2024

• NARUTO Vol.25 Ch.218-226 (full Vol)

• ぼぎわんが来る (42-46%)

• 徒花異譚

End Story 3

• DIJG : さえ
Words of the day
  • 並(な)べて = generally
  • 概(がい)して = as a rule
  • 上期(かみき) = first half of the fiscal (accounting) year. Also, 上半期(かみはんき). The counterpart is 下期(しもき) / 下半期(しもはんき).
  • 遍歴(へんれき) = travels; itinerancy
  • イクメン = father who takes an active role in child rearing. 育児(いくじ) + イケメン.
  • 元締(もとじ)め = manager; boss
  • 取締役(とりしまりやく) = director; board member. Seems like a great supervisor.
  • 霊験(れいげん)あらたか = miraculous; magical. Or just あらたか.
  • 輿入(こしい)れ = marrying into bridegroom’s home. Groom gets a 御輿(みこし), bride gets a ride. 嫁(とつ)ぐ in the same context.
  • 惨(むご)たらしい = gruesome; brutal. 酷(むご)い, but also 惨(みじ)め.
  • 刻限(こくげん) = appointed time
  • 積(つ)み木(き) = piling wooden toy blocks
  • 推敲(すいこう) = revision; elaboration (of a writing)
  • ささ身(み) = white (breast) meat of a chicken
  • 砂場(すなば) = sandbox. Also in IT meaning, it seems.
  • 落日(らくじつ) = setting sun (sunsetting sun)
  • 形骸化(けいがいか) = turning into a mere shell
  • 蝋細工(ろうざいく) = waxwork. First Kanji is a part of 蝋燭(ろうそく), though just 蝋(ろう) is also a word.
  • ざんばら髪(がみ) = disheveled hair. 散々(さんざん) and バラバラ.
  • 間延(まの)び = sluggish; taking a long time
  • 混淆(こんこう) = mixture; jumbled mess. Also 混交(こんこう).
  • 茫洋(ぼうよう) = vast; boundless
  • 眇(すが)める = to squint an eye. Also used in 矯(た)めつ眇(すが)めつ (= to squint and take a good look).
  • 喀血(かっけつ) = coughing up blood; hemoptysis

Q1 2024 Challenge Summary

Chinese

I really only did reading 26/60 days, though I managed to study Chinese almost every day.

Japanese

Coming soon at the end of March.

19 Likes

:cherry_blossom: :teapot: home post (and thread)

3月1日金曜日

:jar: The Jam Maker on Satori Reader series, episode 1.

:revolving_hearts:花野井くんと恋の病 (A condition called love) vol. 2, 7 pages.

18 Likes

:house: home post :house:
:calendar: 2024年3月1日 :calendar:

:question: Title Read today Currently at Notes
:orange_book: Fujiki 2 episodes 41/41 —
:desert_island: ISLAND 5k 235.000 char 0 new word (reread)
:kimono: 舞妓さんちのまかないさん 4 chapters 156/272 —

Have a great trip!!! :jp: So exciting, and during the sakura season too!! I would be so happy I you post us a few pics, food, flowers, mountains, anything goes :smiley:

19 Likes

soggy’s winter 2024 challenge summary!

:star2: 01月01日ー03月01日 Progress:
:ear_of_rice: Japanese Folktales 3/22 stories
:owl: ハリーポッターと賢者の石 9%
:ghost: グースバンプス 38/189 pgs
:candy: ふしぎ駄菓子屋 37/148 pgs
:headphones: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった 19%
:evergreen_tree: 小さな森のオオカミちゃん volume 2 54%
:dragon: ルリドラゴン 28%
:gift_heart: 可愛いだけじゃない式守さん completed
:teddy_bear: レンタルおにいちゃん volume 2 completed
:teddy_bear: レンタルおにいちゃん volume 3 completed
:teddy_bear: レンタルおにいちゃん volume 4 completed
:crossed_swords: The Three Musketeers [eng.] 294/704 pgs/ 43%

This challenge, I finished four volumes of manga, read almost 80 pages of prose in Japanese, and did some English reading as well!

I actually finished Shikimori today but I’m counting it as part of the challenge anyways.

I meant to spend more time on HP this challenge, but ended up spending most of my prose reading time on fushigi sweetshop and goosebumps. Looking at the amount of pages I read makes it seem like not that much, but during the last challenge, I was doing Satori only for prose reading, and I only finished one volume of manga!

Your thoughts were true, past Soggy! I have now let go of Satori as a resource and will be focusing on children’s novels for a little while. My manga reading speed also feels like it has improved a lot.

I may or may not post daily in March, but I will definitely keep watching the thread to cheer everyone on!

24 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // March 1 :snowman_with_snow: :books:

・サイレント・ウイッチ VII (92% → 100%)

I finished the book :3 Actually there were only a few pages left and the atogaki, the rest was extra illustrations and some dialogue. This most recent book in the series was released earlier this month, so I’ll have to find something else to read until the next book comes out.

Which brings me back to the poll I’ve had up since a few days ago. 薬屋のひとりごと 11 got the most votes, so I think it’s time I try reading it again from the top. Last summer I stopped at 43%. Maybe I can finish it before March 15? That’s when book 8 of わたしの幸せな結婚 will be released, one I’m very much looking forward to :eyes: :sparkles: I can’t wait!

Summary so far
I feel like I’ve been reading kinda slowly during this challenge, but compared to previous winter challenges I’m definitely faster now. It is currently March 1 – hopefully I’ll have finished more books by the end of the month. There’s book 8 of Kekkon after all, hehe.

22 Likes

2024-03-01

:previous_track_button: Previous | :house: Home post | Next :next_track_button:

Date Name Type Amount Time
2024-03-01 :books: 本好きの下剋上第一部4 :green_book: Manga :white_check_mark: Bonus SS
:page_facing_up: 9 Pages
:hourglass_flowing_sand: 35m

Read the short story at the end of the volume, about Sieg looking for the maker of Myne’s baskets, and with that finished out another volume of this manga.

17 Likes