@sycamore I don’t have much to add, but I just want to say I adore the updates and screenshots. Loved reading it, and it’s great how much you’re enjoying it.
Summary post
Feedback was much appreciated from everyone (since you didn’t get a direct response, thanks for addding your thoughts @fustian_garb). You all helped me settle my thoughts and get a little more excited about something new rather than just frustrated at dropping something.
I know visual novels are a bit niche, so the quick sell here is this is a VN made by Key, who are most famous for Little Busters and Clannad (probably the anime based on them, more so). Their games tend to fall into a category of VNs known as 泣きゲー, or “crying games.” So I’ll let you all know when the crying comes. Still, if this is anything like a usual Key game, I’m in for dozens of hours of slice of life chilling before the crying starts. It’s the bittersweet sort of tragedy that hits you late, not full on misery.
Anyway, I’m doing it! In some ways frustration at the Reflection Blue edition possible never releasing in English was one of the things that pushed me into “fine, I’ll finally go learn this language,” so as underprepared and relying on help as I am, it’s wild to be already doing this. Big goal accomplished, assuming this works out.
It wasn’t without its technical issues… I had loads of them, from getting a a game that demands every single thing about your computer be Japanese to run, to having a hard time with the texthooker on this particular game, but I’ve got it settled for now. Or at least mostly. The texthooker freaks out on occasion but overall it’s workable.
It’s also readable, so far! Sentences are dense with words I don’t know, and it’s obvious how different narration is after 80+ hours of a game that’s practically all dialog, but I played for about an hour, mined a solid set of words, and felt like with some lookups, I could tell what was up. Today I just arrived on a boat and started walking through the island; at my slow pace I haven’t really encountered characters yet. Still, the vibes are just what I was dreaming of. Lovely descriptive writing of the environment, beautiful backgrounds, and already some surprisingly moving music. I’m hooked and nothing has happened.
Oh yeah, cool new words? I’ll go with ボストンバッグ, only because this is an instance of Japanese teaching me English. I didn’t even know “Boston bag” was a term.