📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

I got so much joy from donating a couple of my duplicate books to a classmate from my Japanese class (and it also gave me a chance to meet her in person). Maybe there’s someone (either person or institution like a Japanese cultural centre or a language school) you could donate it to?

8 Likes

Just had time for a couple of pages from よつば& today (116-118) but there was plenty of new vocab. This chapter (“プール”)is the one I’ve liked least out of the two volumes I’ve read, so I’m hoping to move through it more quickly starting tomorrow, when I don’t have any classes to teach.

I’m considering celebrating the end of the first week of school with a book order even though I will have no real reading time for the next couple of months. I just love looking at my shelf of Japanese books and fantasizing about the days when I’ll read them all…

New words

黙れ (だまれ) to be silent, to say nothing
小童い (こわっぱい) child, brat
引っ込む (ひっこむ) to draw back
魅惑 (みわく) attraction, charm
水着 (みずぎ) swimsuit
姿 (すがた) appearance

18 Likes

I also haven’t caught it yet but I am now back teaching and we have no mask mandate this semester. I’m wearing my N95 anyway and have received my 4th vaccine but I assume all the exposure means I’ll come down with it sooner or later. So every twinge of fatigue, headache or sinus congestion makes me assume the worst (even though it’s allergy season and I would have all those symptoms anyway). What a time we live in!

8 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Beach Resort: Date 20220825 :beach_umbrella: :raccoon:

吾輩は狸である progress: 10.36% :speech_balloon:

Master and his guest’s conversation carries on and on forever more.

And Wagahai-cat occasionally gets some headpats.

:beach_umbrella: Japanese found in the sand :beach_umbrella:

Meowords

節奏「せっそう」ー Rhythm
藪睨み「やぶにらみ」ー Squint; mistaken view
手真似「てまね」ー Gesture; hand signal; sign
芝居「しばい」ー Play; drama
花魁「おいらん」ー Oiran (high-ranking courtesan)
見番「けんばん」ー Geisha assignation office (also: 検番)
娼家「しょうか」ー Brothel
口髯「くちひげ」ー Moustache
竜頭蛇尾「りゅうとうだび」ー Strong beginning, weak ending; anticlimax. (cool expression)
勢揃い「せいぞろい」ー Assembling in full force; muster up; lining up; gathering
加之「しかのみならず」ー Not only… ; but also

Forms
叮嚀 = 丁寧 「ていねい」(Polite; courteous)

20 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Aug 25th :sunny:

・ 本好きの下剋上 10 (47% → 51%)

Couldn’t not read today with my eyes being weird. We did something fun in lab today :mag: :eyes:

In short, we used eye drops which temporarily makes it near impossible to see clearly on short distances unless you’re a young person with myopia (nearsightedness). Can see clearly if I just take my glasses off, so it’s easier for me to read book on phone than to study on laptop in that condition. Almost 10 h later and I still can’t see clearly up-close with the one eye while wearing glasses :durtle_megane: More detailed explanation: [1]

Real life anime eyes? Eye drops available at a durtle church near you!

Don’t tell trunklayer, he’s going to be disappointed I don’t have red eyes :caught_durtling:

Hehe, thanks! :3 I did however feel bad this morning - some undigested emotions that welled up while I was meditating :sweat_smile: I somehow went on as normal today (lab activity being mandatory), but I clearly have internal stuff that need some processing.

1. Cycloplegic eye drops like cyclopentolate 1% temporarily hinders the accommodative powers in our eyes from activating (in young people) by blocking the neurotransmitter acetylcholine from sending signals to the iris sphincter and ciliary muscles. Iris sphincter makes the pupil of the eye contract :pinching_hand: :eyes: Therefore, using these drops makes pupil big! ↩︎

23 Likes

Today I just read one page from Best Essay 2021. Someone on this site recommended it as reading training for JLPT. The writing style is similar to JLPT mock tests and it’s not that easy to read. I’m sure it will be a good training.

Pictures showing my amazon order the first one shows the books I bought and the second one a video game I ordered.

22 Likes

August 25th!

Today I read chapter 103 of Yotsuba. As always it was adorable, Yotsuba makes a picture book and the story is very cute. Much cuter than the stories my daughter used to write when she was that age, which always started with the main character becoming an orphan because their whole family died in a fire. :fearful:

Only one chapter left of Yotsuba now. I am not at all ready for it to be over :sob:

(Home Post)

21 Likes

Really enjoying my reading recently!

For Flowers, it’s starting to dive into this mystery of students performing spooky rituals and leaving school which I have a feeling will ultimately resolve itself in some way more mundane than I hope, but either way, I’m loving the journey. I still read it in quite small chunks but I guess I’m feeling more confident overall. Now that things are smoothed over with the twins, I have to say they entertain me a lot. They’re probably my favorites right now, though that honestly might simply be because they’ve had the most space to shine.

And コンビニ人間, currently 44% through seems like an excellent fit for me as someone who is quite the 負け組 member (useful word the book taught me, haha). It exquisitely captures the awkwardness every time people ask about what I “do,” heh. I’m really enjoying it. I wanted to say it’s funny hearing what the “good old days” sexists might talk like in Japan but I just realized 縄文 is hunter-gatherer times so this guy is truly just unique haha.

24 Likes

:star2: Home :star2:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険26

168 - 187 (end!)

Lovely chapter about Suzie Q and Roses! I found Suzie’s dialogue a bit challenging. I think she’s speaking in a hyper-feminine way and that’s just something I don’t have a lot of experience in. I’ll probably post some photos in the grammar thread to look for help.

Doing the math based on the things said is a bit bonkers. Like if Suzie and Joseph have been married for 50 years, then they’re both around 70, which wow, Joseph off fighting in his seventies, I get now better why people are surprised he didn’t use hamon to slow his aging much. For some reason I was thinking he was in his 60s. It’s also fun to try to guess Roses’ age. He’s been working for the Joestars for 30 years, so he’s probably at least 50, but to work so closely as their bodyguard, I would think that he’d have to have notable experience so maybe 60s or 70s? Just interesting to think about

23 Likes

Home post

REDC
Week 9

8月25日

• Final Fantasy XIV
  • ルーパーズ , chapter 6.

Up to date and ready for the next chapter this weekend. Catching up with the VN club discussion tomorrow, too late right now :relieved: .

24 Likes

Summary Post

August 25th
What did I read?: きつねくんと先生 Vol 1
How much did I read?: 11 pages
How long did it take me?: 12 min

Randomly decided to start this one today. I don’t have the energy for pictures right now but this is really cute :3 An elementary school teacher who can see the yōkai walking among us starts teaching at a new school and finds that he has a lil きつね coming into class every day xD The pages of this book are like…really soft? That sounds weird, but like…the paper is so soft, I love it.

Lol yeah I didn’t even try to return it, I kind of assumed they probably wouldn’t pay to ship an ¥800 manga all the way back to Japan xD I feel like it would be a hard-to-impossible sell to any used book store since it’s in Japanese, it’s not the first volume of the series, and it’s not like a well-known/widely popular series or anything. :upside_down_face:

Aww, that sounds so nice! :heart: I would if I knew anyone irl who was also studying Japanese :cry: Also it’s BL so I’m not sure how keen any cultural center or language school would be on it lol - nothing remotely smutty or anything, but people can be weird and I don’t really feel like having my very first interaction with them be an invitation to judgment lmao

…Realistically it’s probably going to sit in my apartment for a long time and then maybe eventually make it to the donation bin of this local used book store/charity (I have a few other books that I’ve been meaning to donate there that have been sitting around for…I don’t know, a few years at this point)

…Unless anyone here wants it :joy: :joy: :joy:
this is kind of a joke but also not really lmao I will actually send it to someone if they want it :eyes: it’s this

23 Likes

I would definitely be willing to take (or buy) it off your hands if that’s an option

7 Likes

If there’s one word I (and probably everyone else) learned to read during the repeat book club of コンビニ人間, it’s that word. Unique certainly is a good word to describe 白羽.

8 Likes

Read 4 volumes of Berserk yesterday (It was the Eclipse, so it’s mostly pictures). Plan to finish the Lost Children Arc today.

21 Likes

Yeah I remember reading that part and not knowing how to read it but kind of understood by the context. THEN literally 3 days later Persona 3 had a quiz on the 縄文時代, put it in anki, and I will never forget now!

8 Likes

I didn’t post yesterday, (too much work :smiling_face_with_tear:), but I did read a few more pages of よつばと!.
Today I got my reading in early and finished volume 1 :four_leaf_clover:
Now the question is よつばと! Vol2 (in print with tiny furigana), or ハピネス Vol2 (on an iPad, with ‘zoom-in’ capability)?

23 Likes

August 25 :blossom: Home Post

Didn’t get much in today, just peeked at 跡を消す a bit more. I should be able to read more this weekend, so I’m looking forward to it!

24 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 56: August 25th :diving_mask: :shell:

spacer:girl: からかい上手の(元)高木さん Volume 6 (38% ➨ 45%)

22 Likes

Read Look Back by the Mangaka for Chainsaw man and was legit trying not to cry, still plan to finish at least one volume of Berserk by the end of the day but if I don’t I don’t. I got a lot of listening practice in today, so しょうがない。

19 Likes

Ah, I hear you; I mostly like physical books, but I tend to buy BL stuff digitally unless I’m sure it’s not too explicit, just because, as you say, people can be weird. And, frankly, BL can be weird, and I’m never sure if even I will be uncomfortable with what shows up…!

9 Likes