📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Beach Resort: Date 20220822 :beach_umbrella: :raccoon:

吾輩は狸である progress: 7.95% :bell:

Wagahai-cat talks with his calico friend who has a brand new collar with a bell

:beach_umbrella: Japanese found in the sand :beach_umbrella:

Meowords

剣突「けんつく」ー Scolding; telling off (also: 剣突く)
恍惚「こうこつ」ー Ecstasy; rapture
「たるき」ー Rafter; porch (also: 垂木)
欣羨「きんせん」ー Extreme jealousy
咽喉「いんこう」ー Throat
「むべ」ー Truly; indeed

Forms
孔 = 穴「あな」(Hole)

22 Likes

Home post

REDC
Week 8
:confetti_ball: 8 6 % :confetti_ball:

8月21日

• Final Fantasy XIV

Couldn’t post yesterday and I haven’t done anything today yet but I’m updating just to separate weeks. I finally couldn’t read on Saturday but we keep going :sunglasses: .

24 Likes

Aside from my regular P3P update. I reread Berserk Volume 8 and the first few pages of 青ブタ Ch1 part 3 (after reading Berserk I didn’t care to read 34 pages of a light novel). Pretty active day.

24 Likes

Managed to squeeze in p. 85-104 of よつば& before running off to my first class of the semester.

Some new things:

どんまい (ドンマイ) it’s ok
ごろごろ rumbling, rolling
ずんずん rapidly
一仕事 (ひとしごと) difficult task
拭く (ふく) to wipe, to dry
さて well; now; then
ひげ beard
ぷるぷる trembling, shivering, bouncing
怒る (おこる) to get angry
ごしごし scrubbing hard
きえる to go away, to come off

21 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Aug 22nd :beach_umbrella:

・ 本好きの下剋上 10 (34% → 43%)

Not much to report. Reading Honzuki feels slow compared to other nyoomier stuff.

The sky was pretty today.

28 Likes

August 22nd!

I read the first chapter of Volume 8 of Teasing Master Takagi-san today, starting a new volume always feels fun, though the stack of in-progress books on my desk is getting precariously high again :sweat_smile:

(Home Post)

25 Likes

Home post

REDC
Week 9

8月22日

• Final Fantasy XIV
22 Likes

August 22 :blossom: Home Post

Back to school time, I tried to get some reading in between classes but had a pretty killer headache so rip :laughing: I got one whole page of 十角館の殺人 in though! I’ll catch up to the club one day lmao.

23 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 53: August 22nd :crab: :beach_umbrella:

👧 からかい上手の(元)高木さん Volume 6 (17% ➨ 24%)

We’re still in summer, right?

🦸‍♂️ SUPERMAN vs飯 スーパーマンのひとり飯 Volume 1 (0% ➨ 20%)

I wasn’t planning on starting any new series, but some DC comics came up as free (through September 5th) and I wanted to check them out. First up is…Superman vs 飯.

I’ve been having trouble with remembering 編集(へんしゅう), but it looks like maybe Perry White will help me out.

This is the first time I’ve seen this expression, 「お(なか)(むし)」.

I’m going with item 3 on this list…

Clark encounters Lois on his way out and invites her to lunch with him. She turns him down, as she’s heading to France for a story. Clark narrates about how previously he’d be down for a while when this happens, but now he’s super at peace.

He changes to Superman and flies off to Japan because there’s a yakitori chain restaurant he’s been meaning to try.

And thanks to Japan’s newfound cosplay culture, even Superman doesn’t have to feel out of place wearing his costume.

Why yes, I am good at reading katakana.

Lessons so far:

1. Superman uses (ぼく).

2. Steppenwolf speaks in katakana and likes to attack supermarket parking lots. (Had to check with a friend on who this is, as I don’t know very many Superman villains.)

As an origin story of sorts, Superman saved a man in a toriyaki food truck during Steppenwolf’s attack, and the vendor gave Superman some toriyaki as thanks. Superman totally loved it, and that started his quest to eat Japanese food.

I normally avoid “food manga” (as I’m not much of a food person), but as something of a comedic take on Superman, I’m enjoying this so far.

If this were a random high school girl having a meal, this would be the most boring manga ever for me. The power of Superman. (But let’s see how I feel after a few chapters.)

Somehow the chapter took me an hour to read when it’s only 30 pages. I didn’t even realize so much time passed by!

If these and the other two DC comics are free for 14 days, and the chapter counts are Superman: 7 chapters, Batman: 1 chapter + start of chapter 2, and Joker: likewise 1 chapter + start of chapter 2, it looks like I have plenty of time to get through them all.

I intended to get to this week’s second chapter of Shadows House today, but that was before I saw Superman is free for two weeks…

This is why I recently decided to avoid starting any new series until I finish a couple.

(Then I just started a new series today…)

25 Likes

Home

100+% match? I didn’t think something like that was possible lol. This ain’t the first time I’ve seen it though, although it is the first time the top 3 were all over 100% rather than just the first.

In any case, I finished HQ vol 7 today, my 50th completed Japanese-language book! After that, I read よつばと! vol 3 and 5, and then ch 63-66 of HQ vol 8. This also means that today I’ve reached an average books read per day this month of more than 1! (16 JP manga + 7 ENG manga = 23)

The grammar point in the first line of the second speech bubble is one I learned on BP earlier today! I’m sure I coulda figured it out on my own, once I figured out しゅう meant week (although, I only figured that out once I recognized the grammar lol), but it’s always cool seeing things you’ve just “officially” learned come up.

Some vocab of note:

意思疎通 (いしそつう) [四字熟語, noun] (coming to a) mutual understanding; understanding each other
線香花火 (せんこうはなび) [四字熟語, noun] toy fireworks; sparklers
太っ腹 (ふとっぱら) [noun, な-adj., の-adj.] generous; magnanimous; big-hearted
あきもせず [expression, adverb] untiringly; persistently; without losing interest
遠浅 (とおあさ) [noun, な-adj.] shoal; wide, shallow beach

23 Likes

Hope your headache gets better soon! And not sure where you’re at but it absolutely seems to be smoothing out in difficulty. Much more manageable this week.

That said, I only read about 7 pages - I didn’t get a chance to read anything until after dinner and I still need to wrap up some other things :scream: But I’m glad I at least got it started even if a not-insignificant portion was spent trying to get my IME to give me 江 so I could note down a name properly :joy:

22 Likes

:star2: Home :star2:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険26

34 - 101

I accidentally left my book at home yesterday and then I didn’t have time to make the post like I wanted :sweat_smile:

These chapters feature Vanilla Ice and dang are they :sparkles: brutal :sparkles:

Spoiler Zone

Although I like Kakyoin more as a character, Avdol is my favorite Crusader. He feels like the only one with a working brain cell. Of course, Jotaro is smart, but how much do smarts count if you hardly ever coordinate with the team? Avdol is the best rounded and best team player of the Crusaders. Just my opinion. I’ve got a lot of love for him ok.

I couldn’t resist cracking up a bit as Avdol was literally the character who read the writing on wall about the incoming danger

Idk if the same idiom exists in Japanese, but if anyone does know for sure, please let me know.

Of course, canon happens as canon does. :smiling_face_with_tear: canon can’t hurt my plushies though uwu

Or at least plushies make canon less painful to read :joy:

After Avdol’s death Vanilla, Polnareff, and Iggy duke it out in DIO’s mansion. I don’t remember this as well in the anime, but it was funny to see the other characters react in the manga as they feel the shakes and destruction.

It’s also cool that maps of the mansion are included so you can track the characters’ movement.

With such maps, I’m disappointed that the JoJo arcade fighting game, The Last Survivor, has DIO’s mansion but doesn’t reflect the same floor plans :confused:

25 Likes

:star2: Home :star2:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険26

102 - 115

I hope y’all don’t mind that I’m splitting up the days. It makes it really hard for me to keep track when the days are combined :sweat:

I decided to go to bed at a somewhat reasonable time so I had to stop reading earlier than I would have liked.

24 Likes

:sunny: :beach_umbrella: Memoria’s Summer Readin’ :beach: :sunny:

August 22nd and 23rd:

Nooooo I forgot to post yesterday :sob: And I’ve been so consistent! I did read, but I was just so exhausted I forgot all about posting.

I only read like 3 pages of 好きっていいなよ volume 2 last night. But I read 30 more pages this morning to make up for it! I’m around 75 % done with this volume, so nearing the end. I’m still enjoying it a lot. They keep introducing new characters (mostly really cute girls who are in love with rude men :roll_eyes:)

Also nearing the end of the challenge!!! I will finish

26 Likes

I read another 6 pages of よつばと!, only another 28 pages to go.
Going back to work hasn’t derailed my progress so far :slight_smile:

23 Likes

Yesterday I was also tired again so read over the first 2 chapters of シャドーハウス volume 2 (I’d skimmed 3 chapters the previous day).

Today I had the day off and I’ve done well (partly because it was freezing outside).

I read another 2 chapters of シャドーハウス properly and skim read a further 3. I read 8 pages of Tugumi and also finished mission 6 of Spy x family. And the last half page to get up to date with 夜カフェ.

Unfortunately I’m expecting the next 3 days of work to be bad!

26 Likes

Read a few pages of よつば& Vol 2 before getting into work. So feeling like with a little adjustment I can probably maintain a bit of reading per day for the next while (until the papers to be graded start rolling in…) Fingers crossed.

24 Likes

Only got through the prologue of Zenitendo last night as I had a headache and wanted to sleep early.

But I have started it and I think it’s a good fit for now.

24 Likes

August 19-23 :heavy_check_mark: :ocean:

Tugumi, chapters 2-4

Still reading every day, but prone to be distracted or fall asleep, so progress is slower than normal. Still, I’ve read three Tugumi chapters these past few days and I am now all caught up with the intermediate book club. I’ll now try my best to keep up with the mystery book club. I have yet to start chapter 2, even though I’d been looking forward to it. Holidays are a busy time… :sunny:

25 Likes

Read some of Berserk volume 9, but spent most of the day watching a lot of One Piece with some sub reading here and there.

19 Likes