📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

It went ok - I didn’t read much of Tugumi but have caught up with the Orange book club plus 耳をすませば, plus I’m almost done with this week’s reading for 夜カフェ and Spy Family.

Sleep, on the other hand, did not go well - I had to have an extended nap when I arrived home.

14 Likes

september 18 :sunflower: home post

Wow, lots of reading today!

• 極主夫道7: 17 pages
  • 夜カフェ2: 7 pages
  • 耳をすませば: 22 pages
  • HUNTER×HUNTER1: 12 pages

Tomorrow’s plan: I’d like to work on 極主夫道 some more (a chapter per day to catch up has been a good strategy), finish ch. 4 of 夜カフェ2, and maybe get a little 時のオカリナ in :slight_smile:

18 Likes

September 18 :blossom: Home Post

Just some more モノマギア today! I gave in and bought the whole game so I ended up having to start from the beginning again but it’s pretty smooth sailing, I’ll catch back up quick. Onward and upward!

18 Likes

That was me with the Dragon Quest XI S demo. I had the english demo and a japanese copy. T-T 10 hours down the drain!

4 Likes

Hmm not sure if you want to know the answer?
Spoiler ahead: it’s more like volume 9

3 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Falling Leaf Party: Date 20220919 :fallen_leaf: :raccoon:

吾輩は狸である progress: 29.99% :cherry_blossom:

“主人は平気で細君の尻のところへ頬杖を突き”

Wagahai-cat, I know you like spying on people and all but, er…

Also, didn’t realise yesterday, but that’s now 100,000 characters read.

:chestnut: Japanese found within the acorns :chestnut:

Meowords

麗らか「うららか」ー Bright; clear; fine; beautiful; splendid
ペンペン草「ぺんぺんぐさ」ー Shepherd’s Purse (plant) (also: 薺「なずな」)
唐縮緬「とうちりめん」ー Mousseline; light woollen fabric
厨子「ずし」ー Miniature shrine with double doors for storing important religious items

17 Likes

:butterfly: Home :butterfly:

岸辺露伴(きしべろはん)(うご)かない 2

162 - 208 (end)

Opening dialogue: (Rohan) 今回(こんかい)ばかりは本当(ほんとう)(こころ)から反省(はんせい)していて(すべ)ての原因(げんいん)自分(じぶ)性格(せいかく)()がある。
Rohan, admitting his personality might be to blame? Wowzers.

This one was a more difficult read than I expected. My concentration tonight is not so great and then also some of the text is so deep in the gutters that it’s physically hard to read. Then because my concentration is shot, it’s harder to make out the right radicals. The main issue is defo my concentration though.

18 Likes

September 19th!

Another busy day of reading today. I read the second half of Chapter 1 of 耳をすませば and then also started Volume 3 of Orange and read all of Chapter 9.
I had to look up surprisingly little vocab in each :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

17 Likes

Got back to reading 傲慢と善良. I strongly recommend it if you are looking for a book in the intermediate range. I’m only 20 pages in but its got me already. O.O

16 Likes

September 19 :blossom: Home Post

Today was one of those busy days, so I’m just counting some research I had to do for class. I read about cute robots! :tada:

16 Likes

Home

Yesterday:

I read one chapter of HQ and continued playing ACNH. TIL that the music notes in this game being represented by frogs/tadpoles isn’t random:

Some vocab of note:

息が上がる (いきがあがる) [expression, ラ五] to run out of breath; to get breathless
代名詞 (だいめいし) [noun] synonym; classic example; pattern; byword; representative

Today:

I found a book I hadn’t registered on Bookmeter today. It’s one with a bunch of 54字 stories, which I’d set down intending to start reading soon after I’d gotten it, but that never happened and it soon got buried under other books and I forgot all about it lol. Well it’s on my shelf now. Who knows when I’ll get around to it.

I read 3 chapters of HQ and continued with ACNH. On the one hand, I’m glad the store’s ready the next day (unlike the museum… I have so many fish and bugs in my house’s storage waiting to be donated tomorrow), but on the other hand, I miss it being open 24 hrs

TIL “turnip” is a homonym for “stock.” It’s a 蕪式市場, if you will.

I caught a wild 及川! Sorry, オイカワ.

14 Likes

Sep 20, Tue of Week 13 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

I read the first chapter (No.055) of HUNTER x HUNTER Vol.7 just now. That main character looks interesting, and full of interesting 義訓. I typed with my IME using related words, though; just to then learn the real vocabularies (with unrelated Furigana).

The next chapter starts with 人気投票 and is equally interesting :rofl:

As a matter of fact, my watching of HUNTER x HUNTER (1999) almost caught up with reading again.

I saw an interesting series on Bookwalker post, bought and skimmed through it, and it does look interesting. However, I feel like I can’t just have fun reading it yet.

13 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Falling Leaf Party: Date 20220920 :fallen_leaf: :raccoon:

吾輩は狸である progress: 31.03% :chair:

Wagahai-cat has a stand-off with the humans for dominance of the cushion.

:chestnut: Japanese found within the acorns :chestnut:

Meowords

彼岸桜「ひがんざくら」ー Higan Cherry

Forms
攫む = 掴む「つかむ」(To seize)
擲る = 殴る「なぐる」(To strike)

18 Likes

Don’t know why the humans would even engage in such a futile endeavor. The cat sits where it sits.

14 Likes

September 20th!

Mitsuboshi Colors Chapter 37 today - first chapter of Volume 5.
I struggled with this one a lot. I didn’t really get the joke. At first I thought I was just reading something wrong, but the other members of the bookclub had a similar experience which was reassuring :sweat_smile:

(Home Post)

14 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 81: September 19th :blowfish: :surfing_man:

spacer:girl: からかい上手の(元)高木さん Volume 7 (31% ➨ 45%)

Oops, forgot to post this last night. Better post it now so I can fill out 9/20th’s post…

16 Likes

September 20 :blossom: Home Post

A bit more モノマギア today, enough to get caught back up to where I was in the demo! :tada: I’m back in some pretty busy times so just glad to fit it in where I can haha

15 Likes

:butterfly: Home :butterfly:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 47

71 - 91

I finished the Rohan spinoffs the day before, so I started Part 5 last night. Volume 47 is half Part 4 and half Part 5. I’d rather read Part 4 consecutively. Yay for Giorno time though!

17 Likes

:open_book: :cake: September 20 :cake: :open_book:
(home post)

耳をすませば :open_book: week 2’s reading
夜カフェ :cake: chapter 6

Looking at my calendar, it didn’t read anything for a week. I didn’t realize how much time had past. Anyway, new book club weeks so I caught up with the book clubs I’m caught up with. Will say nothing more about that, because every prediction/hope about diving into the other clubs I’m behind on have so far not happened. :sweat:

I have kinda been reading some of those days that look empty though, because Netflix currently have Ouran High School Host Club, so I’ve watched that millions of times with English subs, but now I can watch it with Japanese subs.

I partly wanted to do this because I wanted to see how close I was to being able to fairly easily read the manga series (which is complete, unlike the anime that kinda rushes an end). My answer was that the first few episodes where fine, but as the stories get more complex, and it goes into settings I don’t know well, I didn’t follow along with the Japanese. (I could still follow the stories because I’ve watched it so many times.)

I don’t want to struggle through Ouran when I finally read the manga. It doesn’t have to be a breeze, but if I’ll have regular difficulty spikes as I have with Sailor Moon, I’d rather wait and read some other different manga/books. (Which reminds me, I think most of what I read happens in similar locals/settings. Might need to branch out a bit there… Hmm…)

15 Likes

September 16-18 :see_no_evil:

nothing, really

September 19-21 :heavy_check_mark: :mag:

十角館の殺人, chapters 6,7,8
Grammar: still nothing

I had such big plans on all that I would be able to read last week. In the end, a surprise visit from a friend took up the time I had set aside for reading, so I didn’t read at all one day, then somehow the next one I couldn’t find time for it (lies), and then another day passed, somehow. Three days without reading at all. I’m appalled at myself. Although I guess I did need a break, because Monday I started reading again with renewed vigour. The same can’t be said for grammar, though. I still haven’t resumed that. It doesn’t help that I’ve stopped at 以上, which is both a huge entry of multiple pages, and boringly familiar. I know, I could just skip it, but the completionist in me prefers that I don’t do anything at all rather than skip a grammar entry. :roll_eyes:

15 Likes