📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Beach Resort: Date 20220702 :beach_umbrella: :raccoon:

No Longer Tanuki Progress: 66.32%

I was gonna do a bit of reflection on progress at about 50% but I guess 66% is better than any. Probably less reflection and more jumbled thoughts.

Going into this I thought there’d be a ton of obscure kanji words that I’d have to pull out an equally obscure dictionary for… but it hasn’t been too bad. There are a lot of words I’ve never seen before but they’ve all been easy to find on Jisho or what have you (remembering them is a different story). The only things I’ve had to do some searching on is some weirdly katakana’d version of English words that seem to only exist in No Longer Human.

The grammar is hard though. I don’t think I get every sentence fully, a lot of them I have to reread several times before I can make even a scrap of sense, and other times it suddenly dawns on me that I understood something wrong five sentences ago; line after line of non-stop kanjikanjikanji and I question exactly why I’m doing this.

Either way, I think my reading speed has increased since I started, so at least there’s that.

:beach_umbrella: Japanese found in the sand :beach_umbrella:

Learnthings

滑稽「こっけい」ー Comical; humorous
工夫 「くふう」ー Devising a way; figuring out; contriving; working out
破目「はめ」ー Awkward situation; a bind; a mess; difficult situation (also seen as: 羽目)
絶縁「ぜつえん」ー Breaking off relations; disconnection
天下晴れて「てんかはれて」ー Proper; legal
色魔「しきま」ー Seducer; player; someone who uses people for sex
アマチュア ー Amateur
糞度胸「くそどきょう」ー Daredevil courage; foolhardiness [Excrement courage ?? :laughing:]
襤褸「ぼろ」ー Scrap; rag; tattered clothes
無二「むに」ー Peerless; unparalleled; unequalled

Sayings
触らぬ神に祟りなし - the spirit you do not approach will not curse you​; if you don’t get involved with a [thing] then it won’t cause disaster.
Similar to ‘let sleeping dogs lie’ or ‘wake not a sleeping lion’.

26 Likes