📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

Main post

Still making my way through Yotsuba volume 7 and read two more chapters since the last update. Both took me around 15 minutes to read, so quite nice. I did glimpse ahead a bit which adds some extra motivation to keep reading as good stuff is within reach.

Yotsuba chapter 43

Short but fun little chapter. Yotsuba getting schooled on bicycle rules and this part is just very wholesome. Everyone typically likes to humor yotsuba for a bit, but then corrects her mistakes.

Yotsuba chapter 44

Wholesome chapter. Yotsuba gets asked where milks comes from and you get a very child like response lol. It’s good.

The dad then proposes to visit a farm after some thought. Yotsuba gets so excited and doesn’t really sleep like normal, so she gets a fever and the plans get cancelled. What follows is the dad taking proper care of Yotsuba and giving her some special sickness privileges.

Did have to look up that タン塩 means salty beef tongue. Yotsuba has some weird tastes after all.

13 Likes

That’s really thoughtful of you :pleading_face: Thank you so much!! Stationary already has a place on my heart… and I have the perfect excuse to buy these since my current pens are all running out of ink hehehe

4 Likes

Day 8, in LP - back to 動物園をつくりたい(#5).
“前回のぼろ負けだったのに懲りないな”
Hey, look, it’s 懲りる, my new friend from yesterday right from the start!

In Cannibal Flan there were plenty of pages with little text, so I reached the page 25/33.

Phrase of the day from the manga:
願ったりかなったり 【ねがったりかなったり】[n] everything working out as desired

8 Likes

Today I read some bookclub stuff and the second chapter of 世界一周とんでもグルメ (one more to go! Chapter 2 introduced the last of 3 main characters, changing dynamics. That’s always fun! ) as well as a couple pages of 赤毛のアン. The short chapters were a lie, there’s another long one snuck in there! D: Seeing that made me lose all motivation, haha. Guess I’ll be slowly plugging away at this one again.

11 Likes

Today I’ve read:

• Today’s NHK Easy News.
  • Finally finished reading the the fourth chapter of はたらく細胞。This is only the first volume, but now I finally have a book that I’ve actually managed to finish reading :sweat_smile:
    Decided to use this as an opportunity and registered on bookmeter:
    trunklayer - 読書メーター
  • Started reading the light novel version of はたらく細胞。Reached page 7.
14 Likes

That’s not a weird taste. That’s a fairly standard yakiniku dish.

8 Likes

Today I finished ふらいんぐうぃっち manga vol.1, my first manga. I have, of course, read manga before but only chapters not a whole manga.

16 Likes

Summary post

June 9

・Started reading SAO 7. page 10 → 20. I’ve gotten used to reading books on my phone now, it feels completely different to read a physical book. Maybe it was the summer heat or the fact that I’ve slept less than 4 hours last night, but it was really hard to keep eyes open and concentrate on reading.

・Started Honzuki 5 too. 0 → 5% Yay, more Honzuki! Am excited :eyes: :sparkles:

・Subete ga F ni Naru: Quickly reread the last scene of ch. 9.

Random photo: SAO 7. Photo of normal book cover and 10 year anniversary book cover

12 Likes

2021-06-08
氷菓, 4 pages, 15 minutes

2021-06-09
氷菓, 23 pages (184–206p), almost 2 hours

Only 7 pages left. I’ll finish it tomorrow!

The mystery is solved already, just the epilogue left.

8 Likes

June 9th. Time: 1 hour. Manga Pages: 4
What: Manga からかい上手の高木さん (Volume 1), current pick of ABBC. Chapter 7, Pages 1-4

I’ve met a new word ドジ, it was used 4 times in these 4 pages. jisho says it is “blunder; bungle; clumsiness”, but I had a feeling that it was about a person (like バカ) rather than an act of a person. I’ve checked anime subtitles, and there “dummy” and “airhead” were used. Will see what bookclub’s 先輩 will say on the matter.

7 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: June 1: かがみの孤城 上 (63 pages)
:ballot_box_with_check: June 2: かがみの孤城 上 (20 pages)
:ballot_box_with_check: June 3: かがみの孤城 上 (90 pages)
:ballot_box_with_check: June 4: かがみの孤城 上 (40 pages) + 日の鳥1 (10 pages)
:ballot_box_with_check: June 5: かがみの孤城 上 (112 pages)
:ballot_box_with_check: June 6: かがみの孤城 上 (69 pages) ~ Finished

:ballot_box_with_check: June 7: かがみの孤城 下 (170 pages) ~ 46%
:ballot_box_with_check: June 8: かがみの孤城 下 (81 pages) ~ 68%
:ballot_box_with_check: June 9: かがみの孤城 下 (116 pages) ~ Finished

Whew, I’m done. I thought I’d finish it this week, but not in just 3 days. That was one satisfying ending. So glad I finally read this book! I may go into more detail in the 多読 thread later.

What’s next?

I’ll probably continue with 風立ちぬ now which is very short (just over 100 pages), but a little bit harder to read than most contemporary literature.

I also really want to read Nahoko Uehashi’s first novel, 月の森 に カミよ眠れ, and I’ve got a huge backlog of manga I should get into. But for some reason reading actual books is more relaxing.

We’ll see! I won’t plan too far ahead and will just hope to keep this momentum going for a bit longer.

12 Likes

Main post

Day 9 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: Kiki-Mimi Radio, Episode 13.

Chill day.

11 Likes

Home post

June 10th.

Started chapter 4 of からかい上手の高木さん, Read pages 2 and most of 3 on my commute.

12 Likes

Summary post

Day 9: June 9th
What did I read?: 不可解なぼくのすべてを Vol. 2
How much did I read?: 27 pages (1 chapter)
How long did it take me?: 50 min

Back to FukaBoku! I feel like this chapter took me a really long time for some reason. I think it was because I spent a long time going back and forth trying to make sense of the conversation at the beginning of the chapter…confused characters = a doubly confused me xD But I got there eventually.

13 Likes

My Home Post

My usual daily manga reading, and my Summer 2021 Read Every Day Challenge book reading, keep overlapping.

In reading the Detective Conan movie novelization yesterday, I came across:

ほおあかめながらこたえた。

I looked up 頬 and 染まる, but didn’t think much of them otherwise.

While reading ARIA today, I encountered them again:

i-004x i-031x

After that, getting to today’s Detective Conan, them showed up another time for good measure:

ほおあかめて

My word frequency list says 頬 comes up a total of 14 times in this Conan book, and seven times. Here’s hoping this RRS (reading repetition system) works out!

Back to work on my 2% for the day…

10 Likes

Wiki post

June 9 Update

Today I read through 進撃の巨人 chapter 2. I originally only intended to read through half the chapter, since these chapters take almost 3 hours to read but I lost myself in the emotion of the story and managed to find the time, I guess? It’s interesting that I don’t find Eren annoying yet while reading the manga. While I love the anime, Eren speaking tends to grate on my nerves, and that hasn’t happened yet. Maybe it’s the voice actor?

The chapter was fairly straightforward, no unknown grammar points, and about 68 unknown words over about 40 pages. Not too bad. I’m starting to think I might need to pick books from a higher reading level if I want to get back to encountering new grammar with greater frequency. Maybe now is a good time to give 君の名は another go?

13 Likes

Yes that’s definitely not the best. It turns out to be not as bad as expected but it’s not like you could know about it. I did love the fact that the author was conscious about it and turned that into a joke in the afterword of volume 4.

Anyway, I realized I only had the last chapter left to read, so I just went ahead and did that during my lunch break. I feel like things got solved way too fast considering how bad it was. Not that I know how this kind of situation would resolve since I was lucky enough to have a very accepting and supportive family myself.

Anyway, I am now out of LGBT-related stuff to read… Back when I was learning English, I spent many an hour on a website called tgstorytime (warning: writing quality is questionable at best, but my English wasn’t good enough to realize that at the time; also, damn, that website is still up and running?!?). I kinda wish I could find something like that in Japanese. I have found some stuff on 小説家になろう but the tags are way less specific… If anyone has any idea, I’m open to suggestions.
(Maybe I should ask in the lgbt book club, but it’s kinda dead at the moment)

8 Likes

[main]

I eeny meeny miny mo’d between NHK Easy News articles today and landed on the one about the マンボウ fish. Found it to be a really easy and super short read, which I followed with the second chapter of Japanese Short Stories for Beginners. That also happened to be extremely short and I felt it was a smooth read. What I understood from the Japanese text was pretty spot on with the English translation :ok_hand:

Later in the day I read a little bit of 美少女戦士セーラームーン Vol. 1 :sparkles: I didn’t read very far – just to the end of the scene where Usagi first encounters Luna, but I spent a fair amount of time looking up a couple phrases I found difficult. (Started a vocab list to keep track :crossed_fingers: )

11 Likes

By the way, you might be aware of that already, but there was a 美少女戦士セーラームーン book club on the forum as well. I don’t think there was a word list, but you might find answers to the questions you have in the thread (you can also ask if it’s not in there!)

8 Likes

Ooh, this is awesome! I didn’t about the 美少女戦士セーラームーン book club. This should come in handy, thanks!

3 Likes