📚📚 Read every day challenge - Spring 2022 🌸 🌱

Summary post :bookmark:

April 3rd :cherry_blossom:

・Honzuki no Gekokujou 9 (84% → 93%)

Funny how I said I would do a tiny read challenge and then I go ahead and do a super read two days in a row. Such a clown :clown_face:

Relate :joy: I was looking up ふがい(不甲斐)ない and found F(がい)(しつ) which apparently means “apologies for writing to you without either of us following each other”. A Twitter slang!

(Not on Jisho, but on Takoboto :3 )

28 Likes

Home Post

Yesterday I totally forgot to read my French book, but today I read in it again! I also continued 沖で待つ - I’m slowly getting closer to the end, and the story is getting weirder and weirder… it feels like there is a big morale coming at the end, but then again this is a Japanese story so you never know :grin: Anyways, the story is giving me huge 小川未明 vibes which I think shows the author’s skill (the book was published in 2009!).

25 Likes

Day 3

Also more 三毛猫ホームズの推理, only like 8 pages though, taking me from 5-8%. Still took me almost an hour though. reading a new book is hard. But I got to the introduction of :cat2:!!! Very excited. Also read another section of すべてがFになる after my update yesterday. It felt like such a lovely vacation after 三毛猫, which is funny, because I’d initially planned to read 三毛猫 before すべてがFになる because I thought the difficulty levels would be the other way round (guess I should have checked Natively haha). It’s worked out nicely though, it’s pleasant having a kind of stretch book and a more comfy page turner on the go.

I’m also really enjoying this! Yesterday I was reading and kept on mentioning to my boyfriend more fun facts about our protagonist and he was like “You know, seems like this guy shouldn’t really be a police officer” and then I kept reading just a little further and got to the section where 片山 is thinking about how he probably shouldn’t be a police officer and was very much “you know, you’re not wrong there.”

Yeah, I actually read the 試し読み for 夜警 before when I was trying to choose what crime novel to read and found it pretty straight forward so I think I underestimated 三毛猫 based on that. It’s pretty cool though, I feel like the dryly humorous and less direct writing style of this one seems to fit with the character of the protagonist.

29 Likes

Read 13 pages for かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 19

The kids (or マサムネ at least) are really starting to speculate about what is going on :smile:

Some nice words:

Yes, feel free to join in! Late starters are definitely also welcome!

25 Likes

Natively putting this at a guesstimated 38 seems way off to me fwiw. ロクヨン is currently at 36 and these are some example sentences I pulled just now from my review of the book to give a comparison to 三毛猫ホームズの推理:

警務部長室と記者室の間で、そして刑事部と記者室の狭間で、翻弄され続けた広報室は消耗し、疲弊し、嘆息の巣と化していた。

and

灯のせいもあろうが、顔には皺の数だけ疲労の影が落ちていた。

Keeping in mind that “N1” tops out at 40 I kind of assume anything past that is any of these things:

• very poetic (resulting in being harder to understand, even for native speakers. Think the stuff you might have read in high level literature classes)
  • incredibly old, to the point of being hard to understand (IMO 遺書 is this)
  • intentionally difficult to understand (incredibly unreliable narrator, breaking language rules, etc).

My opinions, yours may vary, but that’s why I think 38 is way off :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I think the current Natively level is just the system taking a blind guess. We’re the first users to read it. The level will probably shift a lot once we finish and grade it. I agree with @pocketcat that 38 seems too high. Still…

Same here. I can read this, but it isn’t what I’d call “simple.”

I wonder if 赤川’s style changed over the years. After all, 三毛猫ホームズの推理 is from 1978, and is one of his earliest published works as a young author.

A few months ago I read three 三毛猫ホームズ short stories from 1988-ish in a Tsubasa Bunko compilation, and the writing styles seem very different. At that time I checked the 試し読み for 三毛猫ホームズの推理 and just reading the prologue it was a totally different vibe, with a more complex sentence structure, broader vocabulary, and just generally more atmospheric overall. I assumed the difference was some combination of 赤川 focusing more on the bare bones of the plot since these were short stories, and also Tsubasa Bunko maybe having selected these stories because they would be more approachable for young readers. But maybe it’s also that he was writing in a plainer and more direct style by then. It’s a big difference in vocab level. In 40 pages of this 1978 book I’ve hit nearly as much new vocab as I did in all 150 pages of those short stories from 1988.

8 Likes

I really like the dichotomy in that sentence! Is this representative of his style in the book so far? :smiley:

3 Likes

Today I read 40 pages of 終わりのセラフ 一瀬グレン、16歳の破滅 manga vol.2 it’s the prequel to Seraph of the End. What should I say it’s way better than I anticipated it. It’s awesome seeing the younger version of some of the characters from Seraph of the End.

21 Likes

Summary Post

April 3
Final Fantasy VII

Vocabulary
  • 修行 = しゅぎょう training, practice, discipline.
  • 境界 = きょうかい boundary between zones.
  • 検問 = けんもん inspection, examination.
  • 路線図 = ろせんず route map (trains, etc).
  • 発動 = はつどう initiation, putting into operation.
  • 本番 = ほんばん the actual take/performance of something (as opposed to rehearsal or testing).
  • 警報 = けいほう alarm, warning.
  • ダクト = duct.

23 Likes

That’s awesome, good luck! The first thing I read in the last challenge was the first Ace Attorney game, although I had it on PC and was using Game2Text to make lookups easier. Love that series, though. Looking forward to updates on your progress :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh now that you mention it, I’m the same way. It takes some real effort right now for me to focus my brain on anything in Japanese that isn’t something I feel sufficiently committed to.

Summary post

Daisoujou sleepiness update: I sure am still sleepy. My cat has decided that she’s in the mood to start yelling all night again, and I perform particularly poorly with pretty much any interrupted sleep or sleep loss at all. So I misread a bunch of words, had to shake off the approaching migraine feeling a few times, and was slow all around… but I made it to 5000 characters (385 lines) before stopping. My streak of hitting that goal remains unbroken.

Today's image of Ao sums up how I'm feeling, but I'm hiding it because her outfit is a very mild spoiler for the direction her route takes

The plot itself is neat; I’m getting into the meat of the route and things are taking a more serious turn. There’s an oblique reference to Tsumugi’s route that kind of ties up a loose end there; I’m really glad I read them in this order so that didn’t just feel like a random thing. One little bit I appreciated about reading in Japanese is that a perspective shift was signaled like 75% through shifting from 俺 to 僕, and catching that was cool.

My favorite new word is an idiom: オブラートに包む (オブラートにつつむ), meaning to say indirectly so as to not upset someone. オブラート is a sort of thin wafer, so the idea is wrapping ones words to make them not so hurtful.

Oh and last night I sat down and read all of chapter 1 of 佐賀のがばいばあちゃん for the intermediate book club! The chapters are quite short but it’s kind of a new experience for me to be reading in a regular chunk like that and not just tapping out at random spots when I have to, heh.

24 Likes

oh yeah, I agree with both you and @basilsauce that it seems on the high side, I was really just referring to it being higher rated than すべてがfになる - which does seem accurate, rather than on the accuracy of the level itself (if that makes sense) if it really was what a level 38 probably should be then I probably would have given up on the first page lol.

9 Likes

I didn’t post yesterday, but I did my 11 minutes of audio+book. Since I felt like doing a bit more, but not up to a chapter of le petit nicolas, I cracked open the grade reader I got in preparation for this challenge last week instead. Super short chapters, very straightforward, short, simple sentences. Like a breath of fresh air. :grin: (I really like how le petit nicolas has all these interconnected thoughts - it fits the pov perfectly - but I can’t always deal with it.)

I did my 11 minute audio+book thing again. The day before I thought I caught quite a bit more than the 1st day, but today was a step back again. Still better than day 1. I’m assuming it really depends on the content. ^^ And then I read that chapter of Nicolas that seemed to daunting the day before and it was a great chapter. Lots of fun. :slight_smile:

My progress since last time

Le petite Nicolas (80→87/148p)(47→49%)
La quête d’ewilan: d’un monde à l’autre (11→34/334m)(3→10%)
A1 5 Minuten-Lektüren Où est le thym (1/20 stories)

24 Likes

April 3rd :cherry_blossom: :cat2: :cherry_blossom:

Home post

Went to the bookstore today, and happened upon this gem of a book:

So obviously I had to buy it >:3 The first story is called 夜中の汽笛について, あるいは物語の効用について by 村上春樹. It’s only two pages, however because it’s quite late I’ve only managed to go through the first page. I struggled much less with this story than with the ones I attempted previously - and I’d say it’s due to the fact that I am very familiar with his writing style (I can somewhat infer what sort of nonsense he’s on about at times :sweat_smile:). Didn’t write any of this down, may try tomorrow - otherwise just hoping to finish the story, and potentially re-read it. Enjoying it very much so far and can’t wait to see how it ends.

One thing I’ve noticed that while I could read a signifficant chunk of the words, some of them (which were from lower WK levels) have completely eluded me. It’s so easy to forget this stuff if you don’t use it… :melting_face:

Sum vocab

どれ位 (どれくらい) - how much
暫く (しばらく) - for a moment
くらい - about/approximatelly/to the extent
黙る (だまる) - to be silent
違いない (ちがいない) - for certain
きっと - surely
あるとき - on occasion
覚める (さめる) - to wake up
時刻 (じこく) - time
兎に角 (とにかく) - anyhow
ぼっち - solitude
いいかい - (familiar way of saying) listen!
刻む (きざむ) - to tick away
だって - even, too
かも - may, might
隔てる (へだてる) - to separate
沈める (しずめる) - to sink
頷く (うなずく) - to nod

31 Likes

Day 3

Today I read the second chapter of 透明カメレオン!The story mood suddenly shifted, it got really funny! There’s still mystery, and at the same time the main character made a choice that put everyone in a really awkward and funny position. I could explain it…but you wouldn’t laugh. It’d be better just to read it :laughing:

Today’s words and phrases:

突っ伏す (つっぷす) to fall prostrate
見かねる (みかねる) to be unable to let pass unnoticed, unable to just watch
呂律が回らない (ろれつがまわらない) speaking inarticulately; slurring, lisping, etc
津々 (しんしん) overflowing, gushing
えずくto throw up

:cherry_blossom::house_with_garden: My Home Post :house_with_garden::cherry_blossom:

23 Likes

Oooooh I’ve definitely run into that before and completely forgot about it, I like it too! It feels like sugarcoating kinda? Anyway I searched it for funsies and I found this cool post where they made it literal: https://dailyportalz.jp/kiji/wrap-oblate-real-intention

9 Likes

:four_leaf_clover::cherry_blossom::four_leaf_clover:
\huge\color{ #F5B7B1}\mathrm{🌸Day 3🌸}
:four_leaf_clover::cherry_blossom::four_leaf_clover:

\small \color{ #D1F2EB}\mathrm{★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★}

Today I translated 2 pages of よつばと!The TV has been claimed :upside_down_face:And I’m recognizing a lot more words now than at the start of the winter challenge. Progress for Koiwai, progress for me. All is good.

\small \color{ #D1F2EB}\mathrm{★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★}

Tooltip

The flowers above the “Day #” links to my post for the previous day, and the flowers below link to the next day, except for the latest day ofc, they link somewhere special :wink:

edit: I caught an embarrassing mistake

imageimage at least I felt embarrassed by it for long enough to edit in this comment, 5 seconds later I now feel embarrassed that I felt embarrassed about it and advertised that. What is this. It’s 1:22am. I’m going to sleep now.

28 Likes

Day 3

Read 18 pages of こぐまのクーク物語: はじめての海とキャンプ, which brings me to 31%. Still encountering a lot of new words, I keep adding them to the spreadsheet for now.
Word of the day (aka thank you Wanikani for helping me learn kanji): 一口大に切ったメロン

23 Likes
第16話 超やわらか~い

ちょう

Thanks for the tip. It works. Now I just have to edit my home post and see if it works there as well.

Edit: Nope. It didn’t work as I wanted. Well, that’s alright. At least, I learnt how to do the hidden furigana. Thanks again.

7 Likes

Summary Post

Day 3: April 3rd
What did I read?: ふしぎ駄菓子屋銭天堂 Vol 2
How much did I read?: 5 pages
How long did it take me?: 38 min

As usual, our customer of the chapter found exactly the thing he was wanting in Zenitendou…now how will this go bad hahaha xD

Lots of fun expressions and cool words today!
  • 食い入るように (くいいるように) - with intense concentration; eagerly; intently; devouringly
  • さぐる - to feel around for; to fumble for; to grope for; to search for; to look for (can also mean to explore (parts unknown); to enjoy (natural beauty) - I love that)
  • 上まわる (うわまわる) - to exceed (esp. figures: profits, unemployment rate, etc.); to surpass; to be more than; to be better than
  • 変幻自在 (へんげんじざい) - phantasmagoric; protean; shape-shifting; kaleidoscopic; capable of ever-changing appearance (what a neat word)
  • しのび歩き (しのびありき) - I absolutely read this is “walking around like a ninja” without looking it up and that is essentially what it means :joy: Per Jisho: travelling incognito (traveling) or quiet steps; creeping around​
  • ルパン - shoplifting; shoplifter
  • がぶり - emphatically (bite, gulp, chew, etc.)​
  • もっちり - springy (texture); puffy
  • きびすを返す (きびすをかえす) - to turn on one’s heel; to turn back; to return
  • にんまり - with a complacent smile; with a smile of satisfaction
  • こおどり - dancing or jumping for joy
  • 鼻をあかす (はなをあかす) - to outwit; to get the better of; to overcome a superior opponent and leave him speechless
  • 胸がすく (むねがすく) - to feel relieved; to feel satisfied; to feel refreshed

Oh do I :joy:
They’re almost all light かわいい shark manga though hahaha, idk if that’s exactly what you were looking for, but I will say that I really enjoyed サメーズ -サメとアザラシ-, which is a 4-koma manga about…some sharks and a seal :joy: It’s very funny and I love the illustrations (there are two other サメーズ books by the same author, but those are a bit more picture-bookish in style). In the last challenge, I read おでかけ子ザメ, which is a manga that centers on the cutest baby shark in the history of the world and his tiny adventures and the friends he makes along the way (very little text, though, so good for enjoyment of cuteness but not very intensive for reading practice :joy:). I also read a manga called 海のどうぶつが可愛すぎて! which was a bit more like “facts about various sea creatures told in manga form” the sea creatures were really cute though, the title did not lie :joy: I liked that one a lot as well, and would definitely recommend if non-fiction sea creature manga is of interest to you ^^
Man, I am really overusing the :joy: emoji lately, like what is that

26 Likes

i don’t have hte space I don’t have the space I don’t have the space I don’t have the space

16 Likes