📚📚 Read every day challenge - Spring 2022 🌸 🌱

May 8, Sun :cherry_blossom: home post

Week 6 of Spring 2022’s summary

I have done some Anki this week, and some Kanji learning as well.

Some of my reading strategies have changed, to accomodate for reading more.

• And I really want to read lots from my favorite authors… (I saw more than a few above.)

I have listened to a few grammar YouTube videos as well (and some casuals). I feel I should also focus on listening better.

I also think about studying Chinese Hanzi; but with some sequential order of characters (like Hanzi/Kanji), while also focus on reading complete sentences.

I also think of using WaniKani app, but there are too many things I don’t like much - like, not enough Kanji, not enough vocabularies, not enough meanings, not enough readings (of Kanji, although this is debatable); nonetheless, I do like some UserScript ideas.

• I also like autoplaying audios, although I would want to autoplay audios for sentences as well.
  • While I now take a lot of audio from Forvo (and WaniKani vocabulary audio), I wonder if there are values in chopping audio (in YouTube / ImmersionKit), just for single vocabularies…
  • I am doing level 14 on my Anki (started at level 11).

I also learnt a little more about IME - type pa-thi- for パーティー :tada:

A way to avoid downloading lots of audio at once, to put inside Anki + syncing to mobile devices

Apparently, [sound:https://...] works in AnkiDroid (Android), but not in Anki; and of course it works for autoplay as well (<audio> doesn’t work for autoplay)

Anki pecularity must be due to AnkiDroid and original Anki are made from different teams.

WaniKani vocabulary audios’ links can be found inside WaniKani API (and the links themselves don’t need an API key). Otherwise, they can be downloaded in batch.

Regarding Forvo, I made a web app with Forvo API, and upload (cache) to AWS S3, so I can always use it later without accessing Forvo. (I can’t make it too public, not knowing whether it is against terms and conditions.)

About language learning, when being in the actual society, I feel like it might be the issue of fitting in; rather than simply the vocabulary choice, or the language tone itself; but more than that.

It might ok to be weird (even regarding language), if you are a fun folk, I guess.

I guess it’s child’s play.

Pretty sure the first horizontal row must be HOMEOSTASIS. I have no idea about the other two, even after Googling (CAUSALCLOSURE, SYMPLECTOMORPHISM).

Anya must see English characters in her mind, otherwise it doesn’t make sense…

I keep reading せいしん as しんかい. The latter must be what I really desire.

I wonder if WaniKani tilts toward USA (what about Indian folks and Japan residents; and Scandinavians?) I don’t even realize about the anime. (Then again, I am not a social person, nor an adolescent. And I also don’t really watch anime. Youtubers of non-virtual type will be considered, though.)

Though, it doesn’t write what it is. Furigana, when used, is also a culture in itself.

There are also pitch accents. When not aware / not practiced, it is prone to misunderstandings.

As for English (as a second language learner), I am used to visualizing phonetic symbols. (I am used to learning it early on by a series of textbook by BBC, English For You; then later on, several (e.g. Oxford) dictionaries.)

23 Likes