Anki card sorter, by WaniKani levels

This script is intended for Yomichan or any dictionary-to-Anki card creator (e.g. for Android - Takoboto, Akebi). Actually, I don’t use Yomichan to Anki anymore, due to inconsistency with Android (and HTML showing up in AnkiDroid editor)

Additionally, you can use my old extra levels beyond level 60, although that may be modified or sorted later. Since it’s just a text/yaml file, you may edit that, and make your own too.

The instruction is here. You will also need WaniKani API key.

Vocabularies beyond the levels, or Kana-only vocabularies will be put conveniently in 独習(どくしゅう).

Card types will be sorted accordingly, so you can use Writing, if you have such card types.

Now, there is a different idea of how to sort by WaniKani levels:-

And yeah, it is possible, although I haven’t personally tried it yet.

2 Likes

is it possible to use ankiweb and schedule it just as WK does?

I have never used it, I think quite difficult to set it up.

For mobile (Android), I would recommend AnkiDroid and dictionaries compatible with AnkiDroid - Third Party Apps · ankidroid/Anki-Android Wiki · GitHub - in an app I used relatively early, Takoboto, it came with a template.

For PC / laptop, I would recommend somehow adding vocabularies from the web to Anki, and it seems that the only good way is to use installed Anki *.exe with AnkiConnect plugin, rather than AnkiWeb.

I am not sure if setting up Yomichan is difficult for general public; but you don’t need Yomichan for this script, just Anki for desktop and AnkiConnect plugin. (And if mobile, AnkiDroid and Anki account, for syncing.)

Scheduling is problematic too. It is possible to replicate WaniKani (which is not the default), but not perfectly alike. Anki likes to use an adaptive interval, rather than fixed.

The script above is for the next step. What to do if you have too many vocabularies in your Anki. Rather than tackling through a big list, wouldn’t it be nice to take a more structured approach, like WaniKani?

The script will both create new sub-decks and try to repair to scheduling to match the parent deck (which follows WaniKani style, in my case).

Normally, I wouldn’t think setting up the script is hard, as you don’t really have to code anything (if editing anything, it is minimal), though it is more than clicking a button - running a text command in Terminal / Command Prompt is mandatory.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.