:owl: ハリーポッターと賢者の石 4% 4%
:strawberry: Jam Maker 56 episodes completed
:heavy_heart_exclamation: Sakura and Suzuki 27 episodes 27/43 episodes
:mountain: Fujiki Consulting Services 11 episodes DNF
:ribbon: ホリミヤ 110 pgs 141/179 pgs
:teddy_bear: レンタルおにいちゃん v.1 130 pgs completed
:christmas_tree: ちいさな森のオオカミちゃん v.2 70 pgs 70/200 pgs
:books: ASK graded reader #5 19 pgs completed

I read nearly 100 episodes on Satori, about 300 pages of manga, a 19 pg reader, and 4% of Harry Potter. It was fun to look back at my early posts, since I completely forgot that I was still reading ASK readers at the start of the challenge. Also completely forgot about Rental oniichan. I’m thinking for upcoming reading I will be relying less heavily on Satori. I also haven’t spent very much time with manga lately, but I’ll get back to it.

18 Likes

:house: home post :house:
:calendar: 12月2日 :calendar:

:question: Title How much read today Currently at Notes
:art: この美術部には問題がある! Chapter 1 first half
:desert_island: ISLAND 5k 180.000 char 86 new words
:exclamation: あなたも殺人犯になれる! Chapter 12 & 13 53 new words
:orange_book: 恋人 2 episodes 33/52
:kimono: 舞妓さんちのまかないさん 1 chapter 34/261

Funny expression learned in ISLAND: 後の祭り meaning “too late”. if you come after the festival is over, it’s too late!

16 Likes

December 1st!

Started reading This Art Club Has a Problem with the BBC - while I usually try to read in whole chapters even if a club is splitting them into more than one week, I’m travelling and doing exam prep so I decided to just read the club assignment today.

December 2nd!

Chapter 140 of Shadows House today!

(Home Post)

17 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Dec 2 :maple_leaf: :snowman_with_snow:

・サイレント・ウイッチ 沈黙の魔女の隠しごと (66% → 80%)

Sounds promising! :3 Also good to know there’s an end :ok_hand:
(At this rate you’re going to have to wait for a while before I get around to that difficult palace book :caught_durtling: )

16 Likes

Dec 3

• Today was mopping up ホリミヤ1 and starting up 美実部 with the BBC. I’m not super feeling it right now but it’s an easy enough read.
14 Likes

Dec 3, Sun of Week 10 of Fall Q4 2023 :maple_leaf:

• DEATH NOTE Vol.11 Ch.89 (start vol)

• NARUTO Vol.9 Ch.78-81 (end vol)

• STEINS;GATE (VN) Ch.2 (40 min)

Words of the day
  • 唾棄だきすべき = nauseating; abhorrent
  • 蟷螂とうろう = praying mantis (蟷螂かまきり)
  • 佳境かきょう = most interesting part of the story
  • 貧乏揺びんぼうゆすり = jiggling (fidgeting) of the legs
  • 心室細動しんしつさいどう = ventricular fibrillation
  • かす = to defeat (an opponent)
  • し = advantage and disadvantage
  • 試金石しきんせき = Touchstone (assaying tool) - Wikipedia. Tester of rare metals; but also used metaphorically.

15 Likes

:house: home post :house:
:calendar: 12月3日 :calendar:

:question: Title How much read today Currently at Notes
:desert_island: ISLAND 5.4k 185.400 char 76 new words
:orange_book: 恋人 2 episodes 35/52
:kimono: 舞妓さんちのまかないさん 9 chapters 43/261

Read a bit extra on ISLAND because I thought I was close to an ending, was in a very emotional scene… but then the story kind of went back to being normal.
And I guess, if the size allocated for the flowchart is any indication (it was for the prologue), then there is definitely more happening before this route is over.

ISLAND flowchart

Trying to recognize real life places in 舞妓さんちのまかないさん… Not easy since I have never been to Japan, but sometimes manageable:

舞妓さんちのまかないさん chapter 41

Kyoto | Takashimaya Department store
Pretty sure the author looked at that exact same picture :joy:

17 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Dec 3 :maple_leaf: :snowman_with_snow:

・サイレント・ウイッチ 沈黙の魔女の隠しごと (80% → 100%)

This book was so much fun! Will hop onto the sequel soon after a short story I got with my purchase of the first book.

I learned quite a few new words and phrases. Here are a few of them: 裏をかく、張り倒す、火にくべる、退屈しのぎ、傘下、帳尻を合わせる、植木鉢、紆余曲折を経て、真綿で首を締める、補欠、年がら年中、全寮制 :ok_hand:

16 Likes

Dec 4

• More 極主夫道1. I wish I had the time to just finish this today because it’s hilarious, but… ugh… work.
14 Likes

December 3rd!

JLPT today, so I probably could have just counted that as my reading for today - but I decided to also read a chapter of Teasing Master Takagi-san.

(Home Post)

19 Likes

:house_with_garden: :leaves: (home) :fallen_leaf: :house_with_garden:

Got derailed with travel, family, traveling family, and work. Also lost my notes for November, I jotted down ホリミヤ for the 14th (2 pages) and the 18th (also 2 pages) but as for the rest … :person_shrugging: who knows!

New book to juggle for the new book club.

Sun Dec 3 :art: This Art Club Has a Problem (wk 1) pgs 3-7

18 Likes

Summary post

Here we go! My slightly late wrap-up!

I did a month long drawing challenge for October, and then National Novel Writing Month in November, so reading in Spanish and Japanese took a tiny bit of a backseat, though I did surprisingly well not compromising on my practice too much (other things took more of a hit, like textbook study and the ADoBJG book club…).

Oct
Week 39
Week 40
Week 41
Week 42
Week 43
Week 44
Nov
Week 44
Week 45
Week 46
Week 47
Week 48

= Japanese
= Japanese and Spanish

I managed to still finish with a perfect score! I also finished my drawing challenge, and finished NaNoWriMo with a 50k+ word novel manuscript at the end.

I read… a lot of things! My big achievement in October was translating an entire 36 minute press conference in a single day. It was 6.5k+ characters long, and it took me I think quite literally 8 hours of work to finish it. It was the press conference before Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling’s big show Wrestle Princess on October 9, and had to get it done that night if I wanted to have the full translation up before the show.

I actually had a similar experience just a few days ago, haha, when TJPW dropped a sudden press conference on the evening of November 30 for their 10th anniversary show, which was on December 1 the very next day. This presser was only 4.3k+ characters, so it was substantially shorter, but I was also trying to finish up my novel for NaNoWriMo at the same time, so I had to work on that after already writing like 1.5k words of fiction that day. I did manage to get it done!

I think in total, I finished 12 translations over the past two months? They vary pretty heavily in length, with the longest being 9k+ characters, and the shortest being under 1k characters. Adding it up, I think it’s around 49k characters? So it’s maybe 4k characters per translation.

There’s been a lot of good stuff, but a lot of really emotional stuff, too, because one of my favorite wrestlers, Saki Akai (the woman in my profile picture) retired on November 12 :sob:, and another one of my favorite wrestlers, Yuka Sakazaki, is leaving TJPW this month :sob:. So it’s been a little rough on me emotionally to translate so many goodbyes… But at the same time, I want English-speaking fans to be able to know what the wrestlers are saying, so that helps motivate me.

Here’s a photo from the October 27 Korakuen Hall show, which had Saki Akai vs her former tag partner Yuki Arai. This was Akai’s last singles match in TJPW, and her last match in Korakuen Hall.

And here’s a photo from the November 3 show, which had Akai’s last TJPW match. After the match, they did a 1 vs 23 match, with Akai facing the entire TJPW roster. It was very cute and fun, but also on some level unbearably sad, because this was the end :sob:.

While pro wrestling was putting me through the emotional meat grinder, I surprisingly actually got some other reading done, somehow?? It wasn’t either of the goals I set out to do at the beginning of the month, though :sweat_smile:.

I finished volume 1 of しまなみ誰そ彼! I really, really liked it! One of my favorite themes in media is LGBTQ solidarity across the various groups that make up the community, and I really appreciated how this manga sort of turned that into a physical setting and built itself around that. I am planning on reading the rest (and now own them), but have put the series aside until next year probably.

I also read ひとりみです(第1話), which I had been wanting to read for a while (I stole the front cover image from it for my Notion page). It was good! A very quick read, but a nice story. I’d love to see the author write a follow-up.

I also bought はなものがたり, intending to read the first volume along with the LGBT+GSRM book club, but the large amount of Kansai-ben ended up being more of an obstacle than I anticipated, so I sort of stalled out part of the way through the first chapter. Generally, I like my non-wrestling reading to be easier than or on par with the wrestling reading, because I usually have limited energy to read stuff outside of whatever I’m translating, and this manga does not currently qualify…

I do want to finish it someday, though! I think it’ll be great practice for familiarizing myself a little better with Kansai-ben. But I don’t think October-November are great months for me to be taking on higher energy projects, haha, so I shelved that one for now.

I also started reading よつばと!! That one actually was one of the reading goals I set for 2023 at the beginning of the year. I deliberately avoided reading Yotsuba as one of my first manga because I’ve read the first few books in English as a teen and have loved it for years, so I wanted to read it in Japanese when my understanding was better.

So far, it’s been a blast reading it in Japanese! It certainly is pretty easy for me, at this point, so it’s not too much effort to read, which is perfect to pair with the higher energy intensive reading I’m doing with the translations. I read the first 20 chapters in the last week or so of November (almost all of the first three volumes).

Still not on track to meet my 2023 reading goals, besides the read/listen every day goal. Oh well! Whatever I don’t finish, I’ll carry over to next year.

Reading in Spanish

I didn’t quite finish Las malas! According to my kindle, I am 93% of the way through it. It says I have 43 minutes of reading time left. I’d like to try to finish it by the end of the year, but we’ll see if that actually happens, haha.

Overall, the challenge went about as well as could be expected, I think! I’ve switched to focusing on listening again for the off-month, so I’ll be over in that thread, maybe! Still need to set up the home post…

Since I successfully completed one full calendar year of read every day challenges (technically more than one, since I don’t think I missed a single day for most of last year, either), I’m leaning toward not signing up for the next one. I think they’ve more or less served their purpose for me, which is getting me into a regular habit of reading/listening. I’m already pretty bad at actually updating my progress in here, anyway, haha! :sweat_smile:

I’ll probably still lurk future threads, though, and might post bits of stuff I’ve been reading/listening to on occasion!

23 Likes

Last week’s reading was a mixed bag:

I managed to squeeze in a new book (土の中の子供)which was amazing (but very cruel!) - I’m still trying to digest the contents…
Then I was very busy so I couldn’t make it on time for the 月の裏側 book club :face_with_spiral_eyes: (especially as it sped up due to me (!) asking for it :woman_facepalming:). My apologies!
I also thought I could participate in a lot of the Natively Advent challenges, but then I realized I will be quite busy every so often, so I decided to cut this short to one 百人一首 and one 日本人が知らないニュース story per day. In the first 3 days I only managed to read one news story though :cold_sweat:

Anyways, this week’s plan is to catch up on 月の裏側 (which is really getting into motion now), and I’ll see about all the rest. I still have あん on my chart but I’m not exactly sure whether I want to pick it up because it’s a paper book and I’m still recovering from 土の中の子供 which also was on paper (and the two Advent books are also on paper) :sweat_smile: So maybe I will defer あん for a bit and read something else (from my “started but never finished” list, for a change, maybe? :grin:)

21 Likes

Dec 4, Mon of Week 11 of Fall Q4 2023 :maple_leaf:

• NARUTO Vol.10 Ch.82-86 (start vol)

• DIJG : なく, (ず)

Somewhat solving the mystery of ず (or I didn’t understand imabi).

• STEINS;GATE (VN) Ch.2 (1 hour)

Super Hacker in action

Words of the day
  • なんてこった. = what the heck! From なんてことだ.
  • ベタ. = cliched; filling in with all plain color
  • 目白押めじろおし = many things being jammed together
  • バカンス. = vacation. A loanword from French.
  • 偽善ぎぜん = hypocrisy. Being like a good person on the surface (but not).

16 Likes

:coffee: :snowflake: 12月2ー4日 :snowflake: :coffee:(Home Post Link)

Not a lot of reading the last few days while getting ready for the JLPT, but now the test is done! I can return to reading whatever I feel like reading, free from test prep guilt. Had to travel for the test and visiting home for a bit, so don’t have all my tools and stuff for reading book books, but I picked up a few volumes at kinokunia after the test so I have some more leisurely stuff to work on.

It was a really cool experience to walk over to the japanese best seller novel section and even recognize more than a handful of them :laughing: I thought about buying a physical copy of コンビニ人間, but decided since I already own it digitally it probably wasn’t worth it. Friends were also very impressed watching me navigate the japanese manga section to find the stuff on my list

Read:

• 天声人語 12/2 - I can’t believe I’ve been subscribed to the 朝日新聞 for this long without knowing about these, they’re basically exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I found out about them from I think an unseen japan article that was reviewing a parallel reader for them for japanese speakers learning english and was like “hey wait I can just go read these right now”, so I did. Short 603文字 snippets on a wide variety of topics, some fun language, and published daily on the actual front page of the paper
  • 可愛いだけじゃない式守さん volume 1 - I picked this up because I saw it was the next ABBC pick, and just ended up reading the whole thing on accident lol. I bounced off the anime for this, but I enjoyed it a lot more in manga form. There’s 19 more volumes of this… and I will strongly consider them. Felt really nice to just breeze through something for the first time in a while

maybe it’s “hip” and “new” on the scale of the US school system’s progression, meaning anything using a computer at all is still newfangled tech :laughing: I remember mainly using AR levels for estimating difficulty when I was in school, but that’s a whole different can of worms

20 Likes

AR omg…the nostalgia… All I remember about AR is that my mom got mad at me once for reading the same book over and over again which meant I wasn’t getting more AR points. (I didn’t care about the points and just wanted to reread my book)

7 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Dec 4 :maple_leaf: :snowman_with_snow:

・サイレント・ウイッチ II (0% → 27%)

Sequel :eyes: :sparkles: Today was an intense (but fun) day of practice with a bunch of classmates. There’s a practical exam coming up [1]. After that I was very tired, went home and had the pleasure of retreating to my introvert bubble :books: :tea: Ended up reading quite a lot today :3

1. Where we’ll use a slit lamp microscope to examine the anterior segment of a patient’s eye. Also fitting a contact lens on one eye, grade how well it fits and then take it off again. As well as putting sodium fluorescein (NaFl) on the other eye to grade staining (e.g. due to hypoxia or mechanical damage on the cornea). ↩︎

17 Likes

Dec 5

• I did end up finishing 極主夫道1 last night.
  • Started 押しかけギャルの中村さん 1 | L22. Is it another in the romcom girl-teases-guy genre? Yes! Is it set with uni students/part timers and the main guy kind of reminds me of Madarame from Genshiken? Also yes! Enjoying it and it’s relatively easy, which is nice.
15 Likes

December 4th!

A chapter of スーパーの裏でヤニ吸うふたり today.
Only one chapter left in this volume now, so I may read it this week to to finish it rather than waiting for next week with the club - I’m always impatient when its the last chapter of a volume!

(Home Post)

18 Likes

:butterfly: December 2 :ocean:

:cat: Book Pages
:fallen_leaf: 季節を愉しむ366日 | L30?? December 3
:family_man_boy_boy: 腐男子家族 2 | L23 107 - 137 (end)

:butterfly: December 3 :ocean:

:fallen_leaf: 季節を愉しむ366日 | L30?? December 4
:tiger: trash vol 2 start - 12

:butterfly: December 4 :ocean:

:fallen_leaf: 季節を愉しむ366日 | L30?? December 5

Seasons :fallen_leaf: was about satsumaimo (sweet potatoes 12/3), oseibo (12/4), and red berries (12/5). Oseibo is a new years gift and if I understand it right, it’s specifically for people who will celebrate 成人(せいじん)() the following month. It’s supposed to be a gift from within the family, mainly something passed down via your grandparents. Red berries were recommended as decoration and the book even pointed out that you could make holly wreathes if you get some holly berries, which come from the west.

Fudanshi fam :family_man_boy_boy: had a pretty nice wrap up for volume 2. I’m looking forward to starting vol 3 in 2024, I’m going to try to focus on catching up on my other book clubs for now.

Trash :tiger: is trash but I’m pretty determined to finish it off and sell it back. Hmm, I might even be able to buy more books again after that…

This past weekend, I was pretty focused on reviewing for the jlpt and then yesterday, I was busier than I expected to be and just didn’t have time to read. Today’s a bit busy too, so we’ll see how it goes.

16 Likes