📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221006 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 43.06% :fried_egg:

Too hot to nap and no food, the only thing left for Wagahai-cat to do is spy on people and listen to their human conversations. Though master is kinda boring… he just sleeps all day and everyone else just keeps talking about how hot it is, poor Wagahai-cat.

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

御茶漬「おちゃづけ」ー Rice with tea poured on it (also: お茶漬け)
寄木細工「よせぎざいく」ー Wooden mosaic work; parquetry; marquetry
麦藁「むぎわら」ー Wheat/barley straw

Forms
玉子 = 卵「たまご」(egg) (the reading finally makes sense)

25 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :books: October 06th update

Didn’t have much time during the weekend or on Monday, so I ended up reading a few NHK Web Easy articles while on trains. In the past two days I’ve read half of the second volume of とつくにの少女 and plan to continue today :slight_smile:

Some words/phrases I've encountered

遅かれ早かれ 【おそかれはやかれ】- sooner or later
心細い 【こころぼそい】- helpless
捨て駒 【すてごま】- sacrificial pawn
避難 【ひなん】- taking refuge
円安 【えんやす】 - depreciation of the yen
These are quite dark…

27 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 6, 6th of October :maple_leaf:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Another free book on Tadoku, this time about the color red ( (あか)い・・・). A bit more words and unknown vocabulary, so no additional book today.

It was cute how the pictures showed a story while the narration was focused on pointing out red things.

26 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Oct 6 :fallen_leaf:

・ 本好きの下剋上 11 (32% → 35%)

So tired I decided I couldn’t read spicy wolf tonight, so I went for honzuki. Might be due to a tiny lack of sleep from staying up longer than usual last night. Spent a bit too much fuel on finishing week 5 of book club :rocket: :sleeping: Two steps forward, one step back, but progress is progress I guess xD

27 Likes

:maple_leaf: :jack_o_lantern: :snowflake: :christmas_tree: October 6 :christmas_tree: :snowflake: :jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:
Home Post

耳をすませば :black_cat:

I’d planned to start reading Orange today, but I’ve been short on sleep for a few days now, so my brain was way too tired this evening to try and get into that. Instead I read about half of next week’s reading for Whisper of the Heart, and then tomorrow I plan to finish that. It would then leave me with a whole week to get back into Orange and make some progress. ^^

25 Likes

October 6th!

Today I read the second half of chapter 2 of 耳をすませば.
The story isn’t quite capturing me, which I’m surprised by since it features books and cats and that basically sums up my interests :grin:
Its still a nice read, I was just expecting to really love it!

(Home Post)

26 Likes

Today I read some lines of the Monobeno visual novel, sang some japanese karaoke and read two pages of the Shin Kanzen Master Reading N1 book.

I still thing karaoke is probably the easiest way to learn vocabulary. :grin:

22 Likes

Oct 6, Thu of Week 2 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

I read Spice and Wolf from 4% to 6% (in around less than an hour). I am thinking of going by “Everyday” part of the challenge, keeping reading at least 30 minutes everyday, that is, by time criteria, rather than number of pages, chapters, or books. (So, I set up a weekly checklist.)

I might be getting some physical books (non-textbook kind), as I eventually want to be able to get into those too; and they might somewhat better ergonomically to read than digital materials and websites.

Bookwalker e-novels have one (not-so) convenience – 翻訳, to get reading of a vocabulary or phrase.

26 Likes

I haven’t don very well last 2 days

5th I read 5 pages of Spy Fami,y so not great but ok
Yesterday I don’t think I read at all…

In my defence, was packing to go away, spending extra time with the cat, few hours of work and tired.

I should manage much more today - I’m waiting to get on an 8 hour flight.

25 Likes

October 6 :maple_leaf: Home Post

Ended up kinda busy today, so just snuck in a few pages of ブルーロック! I see some upcoming character stuff I’m very curious about :eyes:

25 Likes

Home

My tumblr moot who’s also into 2.43 was curious about what personal pronouns all the main characters use (turns out it’s all おれ. All of them. Not one single character uses ぼく. I’m surprised), so I skimmed through the first two novels and accidentally ended up actually reading more than just random bits of dialogue, so yeah I’m counting that too. Also I feel like, with the bits of the first novel that I read, I understood more than when I first read it almost a year ago (the first vol I started sometime in October, and the second in December). And the parts of novel 2 part 2 that I definitely should have NOT been reading since I haven’t gotten that far yet (I’m halfway thru part 1) were definitely easier than when I actually read the first novel.

Annnnd since doing that got me to work on and finish a couple fics, that’s all the reading I did today, unfortunately.

21 Likes

:books: :maple_leaf: softlyraining’s spooky book stack :jack_o_lantern: :open_book:

October 6th:

No manga today. Just a little Satori Reader. I think having to work so much yesterday took up more energy than I realized. Hopefully more reading will be on the menu tomorrow.

26 Likes

:house:
Oct 7

かがみの孤城 48% → 50%

Four pages today, and I’ve reached the halfway mark!! My original goal was to finish this book before October, but obviously I wasn’t able to keep up with making 1% of progress every day :sweat_smile:. I’m just hoping to finish before the end of this year at this point, though extra points if I make it before the end of November (which is also the endpoint of this summer challenge :eyes:).

27 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: October 6th :jack_o_lantern: (Home Post Link)

Made it home today, but it was still a really long day and I had some work to do when I got back. 新完全 Reading N3 book came in the mail today, so I started reading a little bit of that, but this is going to be much more involved than reading manga so I didn’t try to get too far (pages 1-7, but I did read the overall summary of the book in japanese before re-reading it in english so I’m counting that for something)

Thankfully Chapter 29 of よつばと!was another easier one. Very cute chapter, it’s nice to see よつば actually being a force of (chaotic) good. Maybe I’ll spend some time watching the 洗濯機 spin next time I have to do the laundry :rofl:

Good Words

田舎「いなか」ー rural area; countryside
迷惑「めいわく」ー trouble, bother
洗剤「せんざい」ー detergent
食べにくい ー difficult to eat

26 Likes

Kanrei’s Reading Challenge

Oct
01 02
03 04 05 06 07 08 09
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Nov
01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

Books/ Texts read

• 鹿の王 (Started at 8% of the book)
  • 鳥人大系 (Started at p.116)
31 Likes

Will try to do this challenge too and made me a post which I can edit. But sure will also post normally on what I read and all.

14 Likes

5159q8lwzRL.SL500

Read two pages in 鹿の王. It’s kinda difficult since it has many words and kanjis which I don’t know.Also if there was furiganas, they were maybe mentioned once (but I think per chapter). Kinda can’t remember that after reading it just once.
I try to add some vocabulary to Anki and hope if I train them I will remember it next time when encountering them.
Really slow at reading this book, so probably will try to read two pages per day and then read something easier.

26 Likes

:books: :video_game: :maple_leaf: :fallen_leaf: October 6

Steady progress on 狼と香辛料 (18% → 21%). I’m hoping I’ll speed up at some point but we are not there yet. I really hope I can read some VNs on the weekend at least. Don’t want to fall irrevocably behind on the ルーパーズ club :grimacing:.

27 Likes

On October the 7th I’ve read (so far):

Tadoku readers

温泉の科学 – にほんごたどく
吉四六さんの話 〜「ババクロウ」という魚〜 – にほんごたどく
湖山長者 ~ちょっとざんねんなお金持ちの話~ – にほんごたどく

23 Likes

I’m a bit late but would like to join too! My level is still low and this will be my first attempt at reading a book in japanese! :high_touch: I’ve chosen a book that looks like it could be good for a beginner: Pages don’t have a lot of text, story is hopefully simple, images, furigana… and it’s about Funassyi!!

First two pages were introducing funassyi the pear fairy. During day she works in PR/television for Funabashi city but at night she fights different games near the sea? The games include Sumo, races and じゃんけん. She seems to be exhausted.

Also got the summerbreak game in case reading the book is too exhausting and I wanna listen&read instead.

28 Likes