📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

November 23 :heavy_check_mark: :maple_leaf:

秋の牢獄, 64-67%

Tiny read today. Once again I left it for too late in the day, and once again I’m getting sleepy. Interesting start to the story, it looks like it will be more fantasy and maybe more horror than the other stories. I guess I’ll find out tomorrow.

20 Likes

:maple_leaf: :jack_o_lantern: :snowflake: :christmas_tree: November 23 :christmas_tree: :snowflake: :jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:
Home Post

Loopers :infinity:

I’m back to reading this!!! So excited.

Four months and 15+ wanikani levels later and I finally found space in my reading schedule to start reading again. If I was a ton quicker, I would probably reread the first 4 chapters, but… no thank you. I can survive a bit of confusion.

Also super nice to see the extra levels are making a difference, even for the short scene I read today of chapter 5. Also, a lot of the vocabulary I do look up are things that showed in previous chapters, so I expected now that I will read this a bit more focused and just keep going (except for pausing for book club stuff), I can maybe remember the meanings long enough? I can sure hope so!

And exciting stuff for you guys too. I have Kiro pictures as well as a book/game haul!

Kiro first, right?

Kitten cuteness

There is a black cat inside the thingy. And yes this is normally a litter box, but it was empty at the time, so the cats played knock knock or whatever they called it.

Sorry for the graininess but if I’d gotten closer instead of zooming the phone camera, there is no way he would have been playing as cutely anymore. I have to catch him in the act. If he sees the camera coming, he tends to stop looking as cute. Still cute, but not as cute as he can be.

And my haul!

The books can be most easily seen on my bookmeter (my owned but not read shelf, the first five). The games are VNs, 9-nine that will be read in the VN club soon, and Hakuouki. The last one there I bought because I saw it recommended in several places on the forum. Otome, samurai, historical setting with the Shinsengumi. Sounds like a hoot. It is also super long and not something I will tackle anytime soon.

Not least because I’m already reading one VN and will add two more in December. I can only hope I’ll have made a good dent in Loopers by the time the second VN club starts, maybe even finished it?!?! I can hope.

22 Likes

Main Post

On November 23 I’ve read:

• First two chapters of

I expected to have a considerable difficulty with this book, because it’s Grade 5 – the highest on Tadoku – however, so far, it has been surprisingly easy. Would have read more, but today has been a bit busy :sweat_smile:

19 Likes

The muted colors in that picture are such a vibe :snowman:
I’ll be sad for the challenge to end. I like reading everyone’s posts!

@MissDagger Kiro is so cute! :heart_eyes_cat:

Today I dug into the short story at the end of 死仮面 - it’s not as bad as it had been (the start was just boring me to tears) but I’m still not that engaged in the story. I have around 20 pages left and I’m going to try to finish it today but I don’t know if I’ll have time given other things I have to do tonight.

Also, @NicoleIsEnough you said to ping you when I was planning to start 半落ち and I’ve decided to start reading it in January and have drawn up a 10 week reading schedule for myself. I don’t know if it will be worth while to make an announcement post in December saying I plan to do this and people can join, and if, as it’s a longer book, I should make weekly threads or just stick to one. :person_shrugging: I’m a little unsure of the precedent since clubs I’ve been in have varied.

Also I guess at this point I should say that of course anyone is welcome to join when I start, but that for fair warning the only other book by this author that I’ve read was quite difficult for me. He doesn’t hold back on the vocabulary and his writing is more flowery/literary. I put a few example sentences in my review of ロクヨン.

I read a couple pages of 半落ち and it doesn’t seem quite as difficult as 64 was, but it’s worth noting I have almost a years worth of additional reading under my belt now :sweat_smile:

Personal schedule

Week 1 - Jan 2: 0-23; 23 pages; Start - 1.2

Week 2 - Jan 9: 23-51; 28 pages; 1.3 - 1.6

Week 3 - Jan 16: 51-79; 28 pages; 1.7- end of chapter

Week 4 - Jan 23: 80-107; 27 pages; 2.0 - 2.3

Week 5 - Jan 30: 108 - 142; 34 pages; 2.4 - end of chapter

Week 6 - Feb 6: 143 - 174; 31 pages; 3.0 - 3.4

Week 7 - Feb 13: 174-202; 28 pages; 3.5 - end of chapter

Week 8 - Feb 20: 203-254; 51 pages; chapter 4 (entirety)

Week 9 - Feb 27: 255-306; 50 pages; chapter 5 (entirety)

Week 10 - Mar 6: 307-357; 50 pages; chapter 6 (entirety)

Summary - Eng and JP

「妻を殺しました」。現職警察官・梶聡一郎が、アルツハイマーを患う妻を殺害し自首してきた。動機も経過も素直に明かす梶だが、殺害から自首までの2日間の行動だけは頑として語ろうとしない。梶が完全に“落ち”ないのはなぜなのか、その胸に秘めている想いとは――。日本中が震えた、ベストセラー作家の代表作。2003年このミステリーがすごい! 2002年週刊文春ミステリーベスト10 第1位

(copied from deepl)

I killed my wife. Soichiro Kaji, an incumbent police officer, has turned himself in for the murder of his wife, who suffers from Alzheimer’s disease. Kaji is honest about his motive and the process of the murder, but he stubbornly refuses to talk about his actions during the two days between the murder and his surrender. Why has Kaji not completely “fallen off the wagon,” and what thoughts does he have in his heart? This bestselling author’s masterpiece made the whole country tremble, and was selected as one of the “Greatest Mysteries of 2003” in "This Mystery is Amazing! The best-selling author’s masterpiece, which shocks the whole country.

20 Likes

Read Chainsaw man chapter 112 yesterday, but thats about it. Wednesdays are just Chainsaw man days for reading and listening. Today I will try to finish the main story of Shield Hero and the side stories on Friday. Hopefully volume 2 comes Saturday, if not, I can just wait.

16 Likes

November 23rd!

Today I read Chapter 34 of Shadows House - it had a very intriguing ending so I was tempted to read the next chapter to see what happens next, but I’m a bit unwell and tired so I decided to wait and read it at the same time as the other bookclub members next week.

(Home Post)

20 Likes

Home Post
:maple_leaf: :teddy_bear: :carousel_horse: 11.23.2022 :carousel_horse: :teddy_bear: :maple_leaf:

:purple_heart: Pokemon Violet
Really wasn’t in the mood to play today so I just read a couple of the pokedex entries

20 Likes

:lady_beetle: Home :lady_beetle:

November 22

人間椅子 -

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険51
135 - end (189 maybe?)

My use it or lose it might have been in vain. I tried to save some plants but it doesn’t look like the transfer was good for them… maybe they’ll turn around but I won’t hope for it.

November 23

人間椅子 -

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険52
Start - 12

I left home at 7am and didn’t get back until 10pm, so I was tired af lol. My plan tonight is to sleep

19 Likes

November 23 :maple_leaf: Home Post

I managed a bit more reading time than yesterday but I’m still generally busy with holiday things, so just read a chapter of ブルーロック! Chaotic and fun as always :grin:

19 Likes

Home Post

Day 14 Progress:
お隣の天使様 二冊 - 95.05% → 98.81% (Complete!)
お隣の天使様 三冊 - 0.31% → 3.06%
スローループ - Chapter 7 (looks like I accidentally read two chapters yesterday. I was wondering why it took so long lol)

Finally finished Volume 2 of お隣天使様 today! Compared to the first volume, it took about half as many days though it’s hard to say if it means much considering I’ve been reading a lot more. Still, it’s my second Japanese novel completed and finishing something does still feel pretty good.

I was stuck in a very stupid way today… sent オフにしてあるスマホの暗い画面 to a friend and asked him what he means, and he took the time to explain the grammar. I said “no, I know that, but what does オフ mean?” It turns out I somehow managed to read オフ as オレ and was stuck on that line for minutes as a result…

Word of the Day: 我流がりゅう - one’s own way or style. Feels like a very self-confident way of asserting yourself. I don’t know if it’s obvious yet but I really love the character 我. It’s one of the most normal characters ever in Chinese but in Japanese it carries this sense of pomp that I find kinda charming.

21 Likes

Update: Volume 2 comes on Monday T-T So this weekend I will need to just find something else to read.

13 Likes

I would make a post gauging interest first. If enough people are interested to join, it may be worth making weekly threads so that the discussion doesn’t get too complicated to follow. If it’s only two or three people though, I’d think a single thread would make more sense. I might join in, if January isn’t too busy (who am I kidding, when has that ever stopped me joining a club I’m interested in?).

14 Likes

Oh great, thanks for the ping! The schedule looks very good to me. I guess I would like to … glances at list of bookclubs … like to join you! :blush:

So far I always had good results when I announced my reading plans and made a thread for the book; it’s always surprising to see who is interested in what! For the weekly threads, I think if it’s just a small handful of readers, then it’s probably not worthwhile to make weekly threads as the traffic will not be that high (also with more advanced readers there’s usually not so much language-question traffic, and you can only speculate so much about the state of the story, I guess). In the F&B book club we are ~5 readers or fewer and we go with one thread per volume and it works extremely well (the books are only 200-250 pages but I don’t think that makes a huge difference); we mark each post with Chapter XYZ followed by spoiler tags and so far that has worked very well. But if it turns out that a larger group (say, 10 or more people, maybe?) are interested in reading it, you could ask in that group whether people prefer weekly threads.

Oh, that’s the same author? :intrigued:
I have that book firmly on my to-read list; it won the German Criminal Literature award for foreign-language books at some point, so there’s that. Looking forward to getting my toes wet with the author’s writing style!

Thanks for the heads up! I checked out the first page or so, and the writing style was ok so far but he sure has a way of throwing around long kanji strings and stuff :grin:

14 Likes

You got it right ! Congrats and thanks for going through the first two parts :slight_smile: .

The third one is a bit more exciting especially the end. I think half way through part 3 is when I really found ‘my style’. I find Part 4 the coolest. A big part of it is a side story that takes place in the ‘Tile World’. I’m saying this because I read somewhere that you’re going to read my Tile World Chronicles stories in the future if i’m correct.

10 Likes

Yes, I’m looking forward to it! It was the thing that kept me the most motivated before I got my new book. :+1:

10 Likes

Finished Shield Hero. I’ll finish the side stories tomorrow.

13 Likes

Slow progress last few days. And more busy days upcoming.

22/11 4 pages God Bless the Mistaken

23/11 2 pages おばちゃんたちのいるところ

24/11 3 pages おばちゃんたちのいるところ (finished last week’s reading and started this week’s chapter), 3 pages God Bless the Mistaken

18 Likes

So I finished one of the side stories… Not great. Just following a character I already don’t like. The next side story is from the perspective of a child and is almost an hour long. I think I will just read 青ブタ9 and wait for my volume two.

13 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221124 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 82.49% :yarn:

Keeping track of everyone clearly wasn’t confusing enough, so some more guests have arrived.

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

潸然「さんぜん」ー Tearfully; shedding tears
襦袢「じゅばん」ー Undershirt (under kimono)

Replies

So pretty!

So cute!

18 Likes

:maple_leaf: :turkey: November 24th :turkey: :maple_leaf: (Home Post Link)

I think I’ve decided to put からかい上手の高木さん on hold. Reading a physical book again made me realize how much I wasn’t actually enjoying reading that much on the kindle, and I have plenty of physical volumes that I haven’t touched yet at a readable level on my shelf to get through, so I might as well work on those. (Plus it’ll be nice to have an easier series on kindle for when I travel.) Options right now are probably: しろくまカフェ (short, easy, neither read nor watched), ルリドラゴン (1 volume, easy, read in english), ホリミヤ (long, medium difficulty, read and watched), 四月は君の噓 (long, probably harder, seen but haven’t read). The other series I have are definitely still too hard for now: 蟲師 and 3月のライオン

Read:

• ホリミヤ ch 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, おまけ, finished volume 1! – I went to go read a little bit as a level test and ended up just reading… uh… a lot. It’s definitely harder than the other series I’ve read so far, but it’s at a much more manageable level than it was last time I tried. More word lookups, but iirc the first volume is a tad harder than the ones after it. There’s the whole 「誰しも他人には見せないー面があるはずだ」 narration thing happening, and i’m pretty sure that goes away mostly after the introduction parts

I love these idiots, and I’ve missed them greatly

Good Words

訳する「やくする」ー to translate
恩に着る「おんにきる」ー to be indebted to, to feel grateful to
姿「すがた」ー shape, form, appearance
驚く「おどろく」ー to be surprised
避ける「さける」ー to avoid (a situation)
照れる「てれる」ー to be shy
微妙「びみょう」ー not great, iffy
委員会「いいんかい」ー committee meeting
偶然「ぐうぜん」ー a coincidence, by chance
刺青「しせい」ー tattoo (uses kanji, but コレ in furigana, it’s like “what do i do about this ?”)
入れ墨「いれずみ」ー tattoo
極度「きょくど」ー extreme, maximum
寄り道「よりみち」ー making a detour, taking a side trip
飾り「かざり」ー ornament, decoration
悔しい「くやしい」ー frustrated, annoyed
覚悟「かくご」ー readiness
睨む「にらむ」ー to glare at
狂う「くるう」ー to go crazy over
ぶっちゃける ー to speak frankly
納得「なっとく」ー consent, agreement
性別「せいぶつ」ー sex, gender
(性同一性 「せいどういつせい」is gender identity, was curious so did a lil jp wikipedia reading for that)
探偵「たんてい」ー investigator
犯人「はんにん」ー criminal
目撃「もくげき」ー observing, witnessing
沈没「ちんぼつ」ー sinking, floundering
絶好「ぜっこう」ー perfect, ideal, best
保護者「ほごしゃ」ー guardian, protector
募る「つのる」ー to become worse
一班「いっぱん」ー group one, squad one (counter, 班「はん」)
拒否「きょひ」ー refusal, denial
余裕「よゆう」ー surplus, leeway

Replies

aAAAA CUTE :heart_eyes:

So pretty, love the snow :snowflake:

19 Likes