Re Zero Volume 8 week 5

Re Zero Volume 8 Week 5

Re Zero Home Thread

Start Date: September 7, 2020
Previous Chapter: Re Zero Volume 8 week 4
Next Chapter: *Re Zero Volume 8 week 6

Week 5 Reading: End of chapter 4 part 3

Word lists - Learn the vocabulary for Re Zero!

Reading aloud

Time: Saturday 7 PM(Japan), 5AM(USA), 12PM Europe.(could change if needed)

Discord link : https://discord.gg/AG5rnd

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle_vin:
  • I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached that part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I already read that part

0 voters

1 Like

Aaaaand I’m reading along! Weee!
I haven’t started this week yet, so I have no other comment :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ll try to look back at the previous threads and add comments, but anyway the “after reading” thread is coming on Monday, right? I guess I could just post in there anyway.

5 Likes

Hey we are back at egal poll.

This week question

1- I know that Petlelgeuse do not always make sense but I wanted to know what he was saying here.
Bookwalker P.246
「アナタと!怠惰なアナタ方と勤勉とアナタを下せば!事は盤石!事は決着!あるべき落着にして正着!故にここで散れ!散るがいいデス。」
If I try to translate what I understand it goes like this.
“You and ! make a decision between your laziness and your diligent ! thing(maybe means one? ) is a huge rock ! thing is the conclusion ! Maybe the appropriate move is failing ! and disperse(die) here ! Dispersed here is good”
If I had to translate Petelgeuse語 into english I’d say choose between your laziness and diligent. One is difficult and one is the end(of your life maybe?) Maybe your should just be lazy and give up. It will be good if you die here.
Is it good?
2-Bookwalker P.249
「避けらないほどでは決してない」
I can’t in any way to the extend of not dodging? or I can’t dodge to the extend of never being not dodged?
I think it means he can’t dodge everything. I just don’t get why he chose to write it this way.
避ける- to dodge
ほど= to the extend of
決して = never, in any way

3-I have some Petelgeuse again because I knew you love him
Bookwalker P.55 just before part 4 and the end of this week
「アナタには我が寵愛が見えている。そこをまず、受け入れるべきだったのです。それを認めず、誰一の愛に固執し、結果怠惰に成り下がるのであればそれは私にとって最大にして最悪の悪徳…故に正しくあるのであれば」
My homemade translation:
"you can see my love(magic hand) from there first, you should take it. I won’t recognize one persistence love, the result is the fall into laziness and that is my ultimate problem, vice so I need to make it good. "
Meaning he is crazy.

Sorry, there is a lot but it’s getting harder and harder. And Petelgeuse makes less and less sense.
Thanks in advance

1 Like

The rest is still spoiler for me but

Answer to 2

〜ないほどでは決してない is a somewhat frequent phrase and means “it’s not like it cannot be 〜” (dodged here)

1 Like

I know I’m behind on the reading but since these are grammar questions, and I’m up to date on the anime anyway, I’ll try my best to answer.

Answers
  1. 「アナタと!怠惰なアナタ方と勤勉アナタを下せば!事は盤石!事は決着!あるべき落着にして正着!故にここで散れ!散るがいいデス。」

There’s a lot of アナタs here that make this extremely difficult to parse. Also the dude’s crazy so it’s all ramblings of a lunatic. So, there’s the 怠惰なアナタ(がた) and the 勤勉なアナタ. The slothful you(plural, because of the 方 suffix), and the diligent you (singular). And then you have the word (くだ)す from (くだ)せば, which has a lot of meanings, but from the context it feels like this is the “to beat; to defeat” meaning.
So anyway, here’s how I’d (awkwardly) translate it: “You…! The slothful you and the diligent you, if I defeat you… Things will be set in stone. Things will be settled once and for all. It’ll be the how things are supposed to be, and the appropriate move. Therefore, die(scatter) here! You should die(scatter)!”
The first アナタと is like he started the sentence but then he thought to change it so he interrupted himself. So next he chose to say “怠惰なアナタ方と勤勉なアナタ”.
Or at least that’s what makes sense to me.

1. 「避けらないほどでは決してない」

Here, you have something that would have normally been phrased 決して避けられないほど ではない ", but the 決して is sandwiched between では and ない.
決して - never, by no means, not in the least, in no way
避けられない - cannot dodge
ほど - “extent”. basically it expresses how much or how far something has gone or is in a certain way.
避けられないほど - “so (much/difficult/etc) that I can’t dodge”
So it’s simply “It’s by no means to the extent that I can’t dodge it”. Or more simply “It’s definitely dodgeable”.

1. 「アナタには我が寵愛が見えている。そこをまず、受け入れるべきだったのです。それを認めず、唯一(ゆいいつ)の愛に固執し、結果怠惰に成り下がるのであればそれは私にとって最大にして最悪の悪徳…故に正しくあるのであれば」

I’d translate it like this (additional explanations are blurred):
“You can see my favor (from her) (the witch’s favor, his invisible hand ofc). That is something I should have accepted from the start. If (there’s a であれば in the middle there so the clause is a “if” clause) by not admitting it (that Subaru can see it), being obsessed with just one (kind of) love, as a result I’ve fallen into sloth, for me that is the biggest and worst immorality. Therefore, if I were to stay righteous…”. The sentence is left uncompleted. Petelgeuse either lost himself in thought or was interrupted by something.

I translated 正しい as “righteous” because to him it’s something like being morally correct and faithful to the witch.

Wall of text advice

I feel like you’re rushing through the sentences too much, and as a result you’re missing important clues that you need to pick up to understand the relationship between the words. The であれば there for example. Also you need to pay closer attention to what the subject is. You translated “you should take it” but Petelgeuse was talking about himself not accepting the fact that Subaru can see his invisible hand.

What worked for me on long sentences like that, is to try to simplify everything into a “subject + verb” simple sentence, and omit as much as the “objects” and other adverbs as possible to get to the core of “who does what”. When the subject is missing, look carefully at the context. Out of all the possibilities, usually only one makes sense. Eliminate all possibilities that don’t make sense.

Which brings me to the next trouble I noticed. The definitions of words are a bit off in your translation attempts. For example 受け入れる means “to accept, to receive, to agree” yet somehow you turned it into “take”, missing the nuance of what he was saying. Also later on you got “ultimate problem”, which isn’t found anywhere in the Japanese text. What dictionary are you using? Maybe try to check things up on jisho.org more often if you’re unsure or if your translation doesn’t make sense. That’s exactly what I do when I’m in that situation. “Eliminate all possibilities that don’t make sense.” also applies to word meanings. If a word has 3 definitions but only 1 makes sense in the context, that’ll be the one.

6 Likes

Thx for help it makes more sense

That is possible. Like sometimes when my brain does not want to follow or I get tired I kinda have the bad habit of passing over stuff I don’t know. I try to come back to it later but it’s hard to get it sometime. Like I’m so into it that I can’t see around it kinda.

I will try it next time. My trick is mostly to read and reread the sentence and try to find word I know. Then try to put them with the grammar. If I keep them in pack it will probably be more useful. I will try to keep you update on that.

That is completly my fault. I use word that for me means the same but are not litteral translation. For exemple 受け入る= to receive, to accept but in my head I had to take for he take it voluntarly kinda. In my head it worked the same.I’m not english native so my translation may seem off but maybe that is also part of the problem.
Thanks for the advice I will look into that.

1 Like

On one thing I’d agree, the grammar does look more and more complicated. I feel like in the anime Petelgeuse had a lot less lines, so it wasn’t that hard to follow.

1 Like

I thought I’d wait for the wrap up thread to post my comments on the book, but since I didn’t really post anything so far, I’ll talk a bit about this week (at least I think it is, kinda blurry where it starts and stops)

Comments

First of all, it has been nerve wracking. The attack on the village has really increased the tension.
When some rando fox mercenaries died in the forest (last week? Two weeks ago?), I was feeling mostly “shrug”, but the author has done a good job making us care about the village, so yeah, that felt like a big deal. Also the description of cultist, while still fighting, explicitly taking the time to kill mothers, children and the like… Add the description of the girl 指先 biting off her nails… gah, that’s way worse than the description of other 怠惰 crushing their own fingers (because that one was harder to relate to).

Other than that, I was really happy to learn that スバル has an affinity for 精霊! Finally something he can do (hopefully).

Also, パトラッシュ (I hope everyone knew the reference) MVP. Well, ヴィルヘルム too, not dead after that kind of injury…

Edit: also, small thing, but the illustrations at the beginning had a scene with フェルト, but there’s really little left for that to happen :thinking:

3 Likes

You might be interested to know that a famous soundtrack inspired from that Patrasche (if “Dog of Flanders” is the reference you’re talking about) was used as a ringtone, and it was used in the best way in a scene from vol 7: When they were waiting for the whale to appear, this is the ringtone that played as the alarm. Here’s the scene if you’re interested. Here is the ringtone used, and here’s the original.

I don’t want to disappoint but it won’t appear. I think it was a small part of the web novel around these parts but it was getting tight in the volume so they decided to remove it, but they kept the illustration as a teaser I guess.

5 Likes

Yeah, I only have 10 pages left to read and obviously it’s not happening.

1 Like

Next week is up

2 Likes